Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depression Era broadcasts.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The 1930s is a very special point in a American history and it’s music is even more important. Well, to me anyway.

The soft melodic, romantic sound of Al Bowlly singing with Ray Noble’s fills a ballroom and it evokes a very special time in music history when romance and things seemed to me to have a real spirit about it. A human element that is missing in music today or even recordings from the post war era.

My dream was nearly completed by attending the Preservation Ball at the Paramount Theater in Oakland last year. The band had that sound of a Noble/Hylton hotel orchestra… the music echoed through the hall and the building… it was haunting and yet seemed as heavenly as I could imagine.

The broadcasts of that era are very special… especially those from hotels from 1930-1936. Such a special sound the announcers had in delivering a message and drawing you into listening to a band on the radio… the simple yet genuine style of broadcast speech of that era is something I pay close attention to.

Nothing was super commercial about radio in those days, a broadcast from a hotel was merely that, and no commercial sponsorship was really seen till the swing era really kicked off in the mid 30s. Benny Goodman was sponsored by Camel Cigarettes and others by many Coca-Cola and such.

But when I tune into Radio Dismuke, I hear those pure lovely melodic, romantic tunes from the late 20s to the early 30s… Bing Crosby is one of my favorite early radio crooner… his early recordings just echo the era perfectly to me.

If I could go back in time I’d be a radio announcer or in broadcasting some how… I know I would. It’s in my blood… My grandfather on my Dad’s side was in broadcasting in the 30s. The apple fell off the tree and skipped a generation. Lol

What are some of your favorite early radio works? Speaking of Hotel orchestras and of the musical side, not so much of the dramas or comedies… share your tastes for the Depression Era here please!

Thanks.

PS: Here's Al Bowlly singing "It's All Forgotten Now" one of the best of his I think and gives that sound that I'm in love with. This is how it should be heard:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9r7GUhNkJM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9r7GUhNkJM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm very fond of Paul Whiteman's Kraft programs from 1933-34 -- a hour-long series hosted by Deems Taylor and featuring the Whiteman ensemble with assorted guest performers. A high-class program of high-class dance music, and Taylor hosts with just the right light sort of touch, kidding his own reputation as a highbrow commentator without ever coming across as condescending to the music.

Some of the "special material" on these programs is extraordinary -- such as a series of weekly topical cantatas written and arranged by Johnny Mercer, among his first publicly-performed works.

I'm also a huge fan of Rudy Vallee's Fleischmann's Yeast Hour. The Hepcats can snicker all they want about megaphones and adenoids, but the man knew talent and put together, week in and week out, the finest variety program ever heard on the air. He was also, far more than any other single celebrity of his day, a man who was absolutely color blind in the talent he presented -- if you wanted to hear Josephine Baker or Nina Mae McKinney or Paul Robeson or Buck and Bubbles or Stuff Smith or Slim and Slam or Eddie Green or any of dozens of other African-American performers, you tuned to Vallee's program to hear them.

There are very few actual live band remotes extant prior to 1935 -- there are many syndication recordings purporting to be band remotes, however, which were actually recorded in a studio. There's a whole long series of fifteen-minute programs recorded by a company called Transco in Los Angeles in 1932-33 featuring bands like Phil Harris, Jimmie Grier, Gus Arnheim, Ted Fio Rito, and such -- these are all very highly recommended for enthusiasts of the Depression Dance Band sound. Many have been released on CD, and they're probably the easiest early-thirties radio programs to find.

For some reason, FM, I see you as being the perfect choice to announce the "Hoover Sentinels" program.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
For some reason, FM, I see you as being the perfect choice to announce the "Hoover Sentinels" program.

lol That would be neat!

Great stuff there Lizzie, I'll look into getting some of those broadcasts you mentioned. A good friend of mine here has a vast collection of early recordings and may have these already.

Marla

A-List Customer

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I should say it does! When I do house work I tune in! It's the best station on the net!

By the way, I just received some very special Depression Era items for my birthday last Thursday... a friend of mine gave me a small stack of "HIT OF THE WEEK" records... and they're near mint condition! They play very well on my electric GE record/radio combo. I'll list the songs and take a photo or two.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big fan of the Depression-era music that actually mentions the Depression, like "Brother can you Spare a Dime?" and "We're in the Money" and "There's No Depression in Love". They show just how bad and how far-reaching and serious the Great Depression really was.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Radio Dismuke is indeed great, but we're trying to give them a run for their money at CladriteRadio.com. We do play 1940s music as well (and the very occasional cut from the early '50s), but we focus much of our playlist on music of the 1920s and '30s.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I just saw band leader Dean Mora last night at a party and he mentioned to me that he has a stock arrangement of "Midnight The Stars and You"... he said it's very close to the Noble recording of '34 with Bowlly... I'll be there with bells on and I know I'm going to be overwhelmed with the beauty of Avalon's ballroom and the music... I don't know if I'll be able to handle it!

There are two periods of music that haunts me and can make me sit perfectly still as if I'm recalling a distant memory... it's that special early swing era of 1934-36 and that of 1939-44. There were so many things happening at that time and when I hear these songs I think of all those people that lived in those years dealing with the Depression or a world war... my hat is eternally off to that generation.

Music has always played a large part in my life... and home for me is 1929-1946... give or take. I never tire of this stuff... it makes the tough times not so tough, and the great times even greater.

liten

One of the Regulars
so whats the depresion music for 2010

Music has always played a large part in my life... and home for me is 1929-1946... give or take. I never tire of this stuff... it makes the tough times not so tough, and the great times even greater.[/QUOTE]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
Radio Dismuke is indeed great, but we're trying to give them a run for their money at CladriteRadio.com. We do play 1940s music as well (and the very occasional cut from the early '50s), but we focus much of our playlist on music of the 1920s and '30s.

Very nice. I've "tuned in" to your broadcast and must say that the selections are well chosen and the work well done, but I'm odd enough to find Dismuke rather too modern for my taste ( few acoustic sides, and a great deal of 1930's music) and so the '40's stuff is to me a bit jarring.

Now, I must add that if a body is primarily interested in music of the 1930's and 1940's I don't know of a better station. It is a nice break from the Dismuke play list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko