Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

depression-era style photoshoot

Naama

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
It inspired me, also.

strongmancopy.jpg

How I love your pictures! :cool:

deppresion30ym.jpg

I really like the hairdo from the second picture, it's quite the same as I'm wearing my hair during daytime lately :)

Naama

jackiemanni

New in Town
herringbonekid said:
its just a fashion editorial for some glossy magazine.
the clothes will all be new and probably designer. i.e super expensive.

Exactly - which I think dishonors the people who actually went through the depression. I have two depression era photos of my grandmother and her sister on a donkey. They are two of the saddest pictures I have ever seen - even the donkey is skin and bones (not to mention my nana!!!) and even though my grandmother and her sister are 8 and 10 they have horrible dark circles under their eyes and look so haunted. I don't think this is the sort of thing to make into a fakey fashion editorial - it really bothers me.

Jackie

P.S. I'm new-ish! Posted a little intro in the powder room.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Isn't this a kind of mix of styles too? The photos all have that 1800's daguerreotype look, sepia toned and standing still because of the long exposure time (that's why they didn't smile back then). In the depression the photos are usually of people caught more candid and truly black and white (but now they didn't smile beacuse they don't have many reasons to).

And anything that would bring new vintage style clothes to the stores is ok with me. If it catches on in the high end market it should trickle down to the affordable range eventually and I could buy a decent pair of pants off the rack.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
herringbonekid said:
i think these photos were mainly inspired by mike disfarmer who was taking picttures at the tail end of the depression (39-45). the people in his photos don't look unhealthy at all. they look great......

http://www.disfarmer.com/gallery/

Those photos are great. You know I bet if you had started a thread with those and said they were from a fashion shoot, a bunch of people would have thought they looked too fake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn