Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby or Homburg??

Speedster

Practically Family
I got this hat last year cheap at a flea market:

109_0967.jpg

109_0968.jpg

109_0972.jpg

Bought it to use for my caracter in Cowboy Action Shooting. It is made out of furfelt (rabbit?) and the leather sweatband is stamped W. Linton & Co., London.

The big question: Is this a Homburg that has lost its bashing or is this a Derby? The brim looks a little too wide to be a Derby, though.

Can you help me here??

Speedster

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Homburg...w/flat brim

Snrbfshn said:
and a nice hat.
As noted, it appears to be an open-crown homburg, with a nice flat brim, a pretty rare bird indeed. I've a hankering for such a hat. Miller Hats sells a flat-rolled-brim Homburg (the banker hat), but I've been waiting to see if I can find one for considerably cheaper. Nice catch.

Speedster

Practically Family
Thanks for the help. Were/are Homburg worn as open crown or were/are they always bashed with the soft center crease?

I looked at the Miller Hats site and noticed the difference between the flat rolled brim and the deep rolled brim.

Speedster

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not always worn bashed, though I like the look. You see men in the 20's wearing their hats every which way and open crowned homburgs were worn same as open crown fedoras. Most all hats in the day were sold unshaped and the wearer decided what they liked. I think open crown gives it sort of an country flair.

Is there anything on the inside of the crown?

Speedster

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Not always worn bashed, though I like the look. You see men in the 20's wearing their hats every which way and open crowned homburgs were worn same as open crown fedoras. Most all hats in the day were sold unshaped and the wearer decided what they liked. I think open crown gives it sort of an country flair.

Is there anything on the inside of the crown?

Thanks Matt. So far i have been wearing it open crown as i use it for my persona in Cowboy Action Shooting (period 1880'ies).

No there is nothing on the inside of the crown. Apart from the leather sweatband it is unlined.

Speedster

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
This is a homburg for sure.

However, there was once a type of derby that had a flat crown, as opposed to rounded. Winston Churchill wore one.

Years ago, at a San Marino estate sale, I picked up one that belonged to no other than Herbert Hoover, the U.S. president. He probably bought it in London in 1914. (I also got a London morning coat of his from that same year.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21