Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desert Island Discs

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, so if you were trapped on a desert island, (and had an endless supply of batteries, duh) what 5 CD's (or records, etc) would you wish you had with you?
I'm actually not even sure myself!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
(It gets harder & harder to answer questions like this without responding that my main concern would be getting off the island :D but)

Duke Ellington: Blanton-Webster band 1940-42 (3-disc set)

MP3 disc of radio versions of favorite movies (i.e. Bogey & Bacall's radio theatre version of "To Have & Have Not", etc)

Weezer's blue album

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm fickle so this will change daily but for now:
one Beatles
one E.L.O.
one Louis Jordan
one Fats Waller
and one Harry Nilson
Wait, I need some Goodman, oh radio shows maybe, classics! I forgot Wagner, no wait, Rossini,
Never mind, I can't answer.[huh] :eek:

Sincerely,
the Wolf

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
5 CDs are not enough, but here goes!

Johnny Cash - Essential Sun Singles

Marty Robbins - Under Western Skies (it's a 4 CD set, is this cheating :D )

Django Reinhardt - Le Jazz Hot

Los Lobos - Kiko

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (pure nostalgia here)

This list subject to change depending on the day of the shipwreck!

Marc

flat-top

I think I have some, but this is subject to change:
(in no particular order)
Radiohead~OK Computer
Stray Cats ~Runaway Boys (greatest hits)
KISS~Destroyer
Social Distortion~Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
Elvis Presley~Elvis Presley

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Complete Madhattan Room Broadcasts: Benny Goodman and his Orchestra. (CD box set collecting these outstanding band remotes from 1937.)

The Complete Fats Waller 1934-35 (2 LP set, the best of the series I think)

"Paper Moon" Soundtrack Album (some great examples of Depression pop)

"The Thirties Girls," ('70s era LP on the Totem label reissuing performances by many of the leading gal singers of the '30s -- Ruth Etting, Mildred Bailey, Alice Faye, Lee Wiley, etc. etc. etc.)

"Fleischmann's Yeast Hour: 12/13/34" (CD reissue of the most outstanding broadcast of Rudy Vallee's 1934-35 season, with guests Cole Porter, William S. Hart, Henry Fonda, Beatrice Lillie, and Buck & Bubbles.)

That ought to hold me till the rescue boat arrives.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Wait, are we all stranded on the SAME island?

This could be fun. lol

"Our Vintage... Island..." (Add to that list, Andrews Sisters' "Rum and Coca Cola", Juanita Hall's "Bali Hai")

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
More Than Mambo (Full Set) - VA Afro-Cuban Jazz
Slim Gaillard - Cement Mixer, Putti, Putti
Sons Of The Pioneers - Cigareets, Whusky...And Cool, Cool Water
Edith Piaf - La Vie En Rose OST
The Real Tuesday Weld - I, Lucifer

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
While being a nearly impossible questions to answer (for the narrowing of the musics more than the likelihood of being stranded), here's a crack:

* Rachel's: Music for Egon Schiele
* Bach: Sonatas for Violin & Cello (BWV1001–1006 & BWV 1007–1012)
* John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
* The Magnetic Fields: Distant Plastic Trees
* Pixies: Trompe le Monde

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
5 CDs?

When an iPod can hold 500? Who we kiddin' here?

Desert Island Discs might have made sense up till the advent of the .mp3 era. Now - phffft!

Now if it were five 78s...hmm...
1. Joe Haymes' One Note Trumpet Player on Blue Columbia.
2. Gene Kardos' San on Victor.
3. Larry Gomar's Rhythmic Dream on Brunswick.
4. Isham Jones' Vision of Salome on Victor.
5. Reginald Foresythe's Lullaby on Blue Columbia.

flat-top

Fletch said:
When an iPod can hold 500? Who we kiddin' here?

Desert Island Discs might have made sense up till the advent of the .mp3 era. Now - phffft!
Well, yeah of course, but what I mean here is, 5 albums/ cds that you could not live without, or could listen to for the rest of your days!

Liz

This is so hard for me, because I'm a 45 person...so many of my favorite singers never even made albums. Regardless, I will try to do this anyway though I think almost all of my top five would end up being compilations.

1. Del Shannon - since I guess my eight-disc box set is disqualified, I'll go with the Collectables (sic) compilation that came out a few years ago.
2. The Paris Sisters - greatest hits compilation
3. Skeeter Davis - anything so long as it has "The End of the World" (my all-time favorite song) on it
4. The Poppy Family - A Good Thing Lost
5. A compilation I would make with all of my favorite 45s on it!

This was so hard though...I would miss my France Gall, Peter Grudzien, Felt, Magnetic Fields (glad to see another fan here!) and Shangri-Las CDs so much! Can I have an extra five? ;)

Sunny

One Too Many
Mmm... the first two are given, but the rest are tough.

1. Mp3 disc of all 100+ extant Richard Diamond radio episodes. I love that guy. :eek:
2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade soundtrack. My first ever CD, and still my favorite. While studying I have listened to it literally all day long.
3. "The Messiah" - two disc set. If that counts as two, then my own single disc of favorites.
4. Customized mp3 disc of Danny Kaye, the Andrews Sisters, and others, plus well-known Gilbert and Sullivan pieces and favorites by the Reflections choir.
5. Customized mp3 disc of favorite soundtrack main titles.

Dr Doran

1. Mozart: Requiem. Can't live without it. Not sure which performance, though. I have a few that would be fine.

2. Blitz: the album with "someone's gonna die tonight," "warriors," "propaganda," and their cover of "vicious" by Lou Reed

3. Edith Piaf: the album with "la fille de joie est seule, au coin de la rue la-bas" and "bravo pour le clown" and others - - just your basic greatest hits album

4. Kurt Weill: Dreigroschenopera, in German of course; several performances would do.

5. Duke Ellington: the earliest disc in a Time-Life retrospective boxed vinyl set I have; has the mysterious "Creole Love Call," "East St Louis Toodle-oo," "Take the A-Train," "It Don't Mean a Thing," and many others.

6. ... if I could sneak it on, perhaps under a scar like Hermann Goering hid that cyanide capsule ... a tape my old friend Dosher made me of Death in June, Current 93, and Throbbing Gristle, Laibach, and a few other classic bands of that inimitable, wistful industrial/death rock genre, certainly including "We Drive East," "In the Nighttime," and "Death of the West" by Death in June; the song about Tereus and Prokne "O Coal Black Smith" by Current 93 plus the mysterious "I think I'll go a-raping"; the supremely hideous "Hamburger Lady" by Throbbing Gristle along with many of their less depressing tunes; and cuts from Laibach's axe album including "Leben Heist Leben," "Life is Life" for the sheer joyousness of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner