DHL/Custom Duty Drawback help!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by regius, Aug 9, 2019.

1. regius

regius One Too Many

This concerns $73, but it's becoming a nightmare.
    Following the receiving of my recent Aero delivery, I naturally received the DHL invoice. However, I returned the jacket, therefore, I don't wish to pay this custom duty. I called DHL, sometimes the person seem to want to help in the way of relieving me from this, but I always ended up without the invoice number on hand to allow her to proceed. When I call back, another woman answers and she's often black and white, and asked me to go to the US custom and apply for a drawback.
    However, the drawback process is when you did pay the invoice and want a refund, I just don't want to pay in the first place. So it's not relevant.
    Anyhow, let's say I do pay, then do the drawback, anyone here has experience with US Custom's new ACE system? it's electronic, ultra complicated for an individual to use/set up an account etc.

2. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

I don't have experience with the US customs, but i can tell you having dealt with similar situations in the Uk that once you have paid that money you will most likely never see it back.
    They make you jump throuh so many hoops and call so many different numbers you loose the will to get your money back and drop it.
    It is far easier to not pay and get them to understand why you are not paying than to pay and then convince them to refund you

At least that was the case with DHL/ customs in the UK.

3. regius

regius One Too Many

Shoot. Too late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. regius

regius One Too Many

DHL said a drawback broker does this, shared a NJ broker. Then the “broker”
    Just told me this is handled by brokers, she can give me the brokers contact....

5. Psant25

Psant25 A-List Customer

Sounds like a lot of fuss for 73 bucks

El Marro likes this.
  6. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I wonder how IH can ship duty free via UPS under $2K value but DHL has to slap with seemingly random fees? My direct Aero was $60 (I know others have paid more). I thought I got off Scott free but the day before delivery the piper asked to be paid. Both UPS and DHL deliver in 2-3 days from U.K. it’s odd but frankly for the speed I’m ok with it.

Psant25 likes this.
  7. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

Aero jacket direct from Scotland to Canada- $200 fee.
    Aero jacket direct from Scotland to my USA address - $70 fee.
    Many products from abroad to Canada sneak through; most vendors know this, want more business and use services less likely to incur extra fees. A true crap shoot!!

El Marro and ton312 like this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes that is my experience...most purchases thru the mail come straight thru. Once in a while and it appears random...not related to value...it will get pulled and i pay the taxes to the Canadian govt.

sweetfights likes this.
  9. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

You guys are lucky. In uk nothing ever slips through and on a jacket it’s 22.5% of its value in fees plus handling charge.

10. NZJono

NZJono New in Town

Try importing an expensive leather jacket to New Zealand. My Aeromarine cost me about an extra $500 in postage, duties and fees. Companies like DHL seem to attract the eye of the Customs officials here. I wish Aero would offer alternative shipping options eg Royal Mail. I've bought a few things from the UK using Royal Mail and the goods just seem to pass through with no issues.

welltailoredsuit likes this.
  11. regius

regius One Too Many

The DHL service Aero uses has miraculous speed, so it satisfies the need for the rush, so I’m normally ok with the fee. But this time, I returned the jacket

12. Thuggee

Thuggee Practically Family

DHL & Fedex go out of their way to collect duties and taxes here in Australia, they do this I believe to make money out of the person receiving the item and it’s all legal , the admin fees they charge start to equal the fees they are collecting it’s robbery, how do I know this if you use some other delivery service like EMS you never get hit with 1cent in fees or duties & I’ve been buying stuff for years.

Word of advice if your in Australia and buy from Aero ask for your jacket to be shipped by Parcel Force which will mean no customs fees when the jacket arrives, Aero will accomodate this delivery option if you ask—->avoid DHL they are thieves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benny Holiday, Peacoat and Mandarin like this.
  13. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Practically Family

I received 4 jackets this year from Europe one through DHL and no customs fees. Also 2 hat bodies from Ecuador last year through DHL no fees. I guess it's hit and miss.

14. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

These companies can charge whatever they want. Canada Post charges $10 to broker a package while UPS charges $50 - $70, which is why I broker my own packages when anything is sent up here using UPS. All I pay is a %11 provincial and federal tax.

I generally avoid DHL international as I am unsure how to broker my own packages through them. Their import fees are nuts in Canada.

15. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Exactly what I learned after my first couple Aero's delivered to USA. I also was hit for a returned jacket and DHL actually threatened w a collection agency. Such a scam. Always specify in your order instructions that it be delivered via ParcelForce only. Aero has always obliged with no fuss at all. It does take maybe 5 days vs 2DHL, but will be delivered by USPS and they've never asked me for duties. DHL & Fedex are milking these fees as part of their business model.