Diamond Dave - Buco J-21

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by A-1, Nov 22, 2015.

1. casechopper

casechopper My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks Nick,

I've had smoked jackets before and the smell does fade away though in my experience it usually takes about 1-2 years of normal wear if it's heavily smoky like this one is. This one's strong enough now that I can smell it from the 2nd floor of my house when it's hanging on the main floor and that's while congested with mild allergies. I tried using a ozone generator in a sealed closet with another smoky jacket once and it worked ok but I worry how that will affect the leather and stitching long term.

2. seres

seres A-List Customer

Very nice jacket! I've used an ozone machine, letting the jacket stay about 15-20 minutes inside a plastic bag with an ozone machine. Then I hung the jacket outside in the sun and wind for a day. It really did remove the smoke odor. I have not seen any changes to the leather or stitching.

casechopper likes this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Wow! What a cool jacket & Great fit.
    It really looks great on you. Worf had something that removed the odor (I believe).
    Maybe you can get a hold of some.

casechopper likes this.
  4. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie Call Me a Cab

Jacket looks great! Tighter than most of yours but not too tight, still fits you well!

I had best results with smells on leather jackets by treating them the same way as wool pullovers; hang them out into the cold fresh air over night. In case of massive smoke smells, that probably means hang it out every night for a few weeks.

casechopper likes this.
  5. Monitor

Monitor

There are a few jackets I never managed to get the smell out, no matter how long I left them hanging outside...

Sloan1874 likes this.
  6. casechopper

casechopper My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks for all of the recommendations for the smell.

I think this one will be fine with some airing out. It was pretty strong coming out of the box which was probably due to it being sealed up in the box. Now that it's been out for a while it's lessening. It will still take some time but I'm not too worried about it.

El Marro likes this.
  7. Monitor

Monitor

Yeah, sometimes the smell will appear particularly bad after the jacket's spent some time in a box but I'm sure it'll come out. Leave it hanging outside for a few days, it'll air out. Looks lightweight but fits you perfectly, man. Nice wear on it. Looks vintage.

8. Fonzie

Fonzie One Too Many

This style looks great on you and the jacket is very cool. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casechopper likes this.
  9. timmbo

timmbo New in Town

Would love to see updated pictures of how this is looking @A-1 after a few more years. I’ve been in contact with Dave, but it seems that his horsehide is from Shinki; I don’t suppose anyone else has ordered recently and has an opinion on the quality of the HH now?

I also note your version doesn’t have epaulets A-1; was this at your request?

10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Here are shots he posted of his epic jacket back in Nov, 2018:
    IMG_7597.JPG IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7599.JPG
    IMG_7600.JPG

11. ksozay

ksozay Practically Family

Great photos and jacket! I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. timmbo

timmbo New in Town

Has anyone ordered with Dave recently? I paid my deposit nearly 9 weeks ago, and at the time was advised it would be only a 6 week wait.

At 6 weeks, I was told there would be a longer wait due to delays with the tannery. I’ve not heard anything since.

What has everyone’s experience been?

13. jay_cali

jay_cali Familiar Face

Hi, I never got a reply to my email sent 3 weeks back.

14. ralanis2

ralanis2 One of the Regulars

So glad i found this old thread! I was just talking to DD about making a J24 for me. It's good to know what can go both wrong and right in the transaction, but honestly, this jacket is really something special. Hope he gets it right the first time!

15. ton312

ton312

Didn’t DD hang it up some time ago?

16. ralanis2

I wasn't aware so I reach out to him on FB and his email. He didn't respond on FB but he responded to my email agreeing to make one and asked for my measurements. I emailed him back and I'm waiting to hear from him.

17. ton312

ton312

I could be wrong. I just remember hearing he packed up shop.

ralanis2 likes this.
  18. ton312

ton312

Whatever happened to A-1? No sign of him for a very long time.

ralanis2 likes this.
  19. ralanis2

Hmmm... maybe he's coming out of retirement? could be just like a side gig he does now from time to time. I went to his site and he has the J-24 listed with "coming soon" in red. Looked him up on fb and he was making masks. Well its been about 4 days since i sent him that last email so who knows!

sure there are other brilliant jacket makers but A1's jacket though.. just so beautiful. Stuff is what dreams are made of! has that "it" essence to it. Soul.

bn1966 and ton312 like this.
  20. ton312

ton312

He was really pleased with it. Loved it to death. And then he vanished. He might be the only one to beat the TFL effect.