Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Different decorating periods in one home...or room?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone here have a mix of decades for decor? For example, a 1950's kitchen, art deco office, Victorian bedroom, etc OR a mix of all in each room? Would love to see pics on how you pull it all together.

Josephine

One Too Many
I have friends who have a mix in their home. Arts and Crafts in one sitting room, 1950's diner-ish style in another, and late 50's in the dining room, and Art Deco in the bedroom. Their house isn't one of the modern open floor plans, so you don't really see everything at once though.

I don't have any pictures yet, but that is the way I am doing my house. My den/tv room is going to be mid-century modern, aqua walls, barkcloth drapes, venetian blinds, etc.
My formal living room and bedroom will be late 40's early 50's traditional...criss-cross pricilla's, floral barkcloth drapes, traditional furniture etc.
My kitchen kind of a mix, white cabinets with red trim, cherry print shelf edging, jadite green walls and a red metal and vinyl dinette set. My bath will be pink, gray and black with framed movie star vintage ads for Lux, Max Factor, etc.

Hey, why not? I figured for my place I'm designing:
->Foyer: Old Western theme, complete with coachguns as door push-bars
->My arms collection: WWII armory/bunker
->My office: WWII general's office
->Library: old-school Metropolitan/other late-1800s NY gentleman's club
->Map room: nautical theme, like the captain's cabin on an old ship-of-the-line

Rest of the house reserved for prospective Mrs. Diamondback to decorate as she sees fit.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
My kitchen is 1950's, my living room a mix of Victorian and vintage inspired new, my reading room contemporary but full of old books and vintage tea cups as decor, and my bedroom just a mix of vintage from many time periods. I want my home office to be deco, but right now it's filled with shaker style furniture.

CherryCake

New in Town
CherryRed said:
I don't have any pictures yet, but that is the way I am doing my house. My den/tv room is going to be mid-century modern, aqua walls, barkcloth drapes, venetian blinds, etc.
My formal living room and bedroom will be late 40's early 50's traditional...criss-cross pricilla's, floral barkcloth drapes, traditional furniture etc.
My kitchen kind of a mix, white cabinets with red trim, cherry print shelf edging, jadite green walls and a red metal and vinyl dinette set. My bath will be pink, gray and black with framed movie star vintage ads for Lux, Max Factor, etc.

Oh, your bath room will be so nice! Love the idea with vintage ads!

Rosie

One Too Many
My house is a mix of times and styles. Eclectic I guess. My new kitchen is vintage/modern. Open shelving and appliances are vintage, I think the colors I chose also but, the countertops and flooring are very modern.

My living room is modern-y the furniture is kind of a 70's throwback, somewhat, the sponging I've done on the walls reminds everyone of the 60s or 70s, I've been told time and again.

My bathroom is very modern, with a vessel sink and waterfall faucet but, it's very Morrocan/Asian in its styling.

My dining room is somewhat modern, very Asian but with some African influences.

My bedroom is modern/vintage, again with 60s 70s styling but very contemporary. My beau named it modern-ethnic-boudoir.

To me, despite the eras showcased in the house, it seems to have a very Asian/African influence.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I love amost all eras, and collect a bit of everything it seems. Ok, I'm a packrat. So, I have to mix things up. Our living room is rather mission style, as we have my hub's grandfather's desk that he built. Then my hub built a coffee table and two end tables infuenced by the style. He also built our entertainment center, which is armoire like but not finished.

You can see my albums but frankly none of our rooms are really *finished*. I have hoards of stuff waiting to be displayed and hung on the walls.

My parlor and bedroom will be more elaborate and french inspired. Bathroom upstairs will be somewhat deco/art nouveau.

Kitchen has some 50's dishes and such.

Upstairs hallway is Titanic inspired.

I think most of these things are timeless and can fit together in a nice eclectic manner. Pretty much everything I own is thrifted, dumpster dived, yard saled, or given to me. And then there's the antique malls and ebay. I am looking at a new leather sofa and chair tho, we shall see!
Nikki
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/collections/72157600969231905/

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
620812533_d2368de297.jpg

This is an amazing photo, Miss ohairas!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
ohairas said:
I think most of these things are timeless and can fit together in a nice eclectic manner. Pretty much everything I own is thrifted, dumpster dived, yard saled, or given to me. And then there's the antique malls and ebay. I am looking at a new leather sofa and chair tho, we shall see!
Nikki
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/collections/72157600969231905/

Thanks for the pics!

I'm finding that the best stuff is from the places you mention, except for Tar-jey when you need something new. lol

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
happyfilmluvguyThis is an amazing photo said:
Thanks! I thought it was cool... we used it for our Christmas cards that year.

Originally Posted by CherryRed
Keep in mind that when decorating in the past, people didn't always have everything that was 100% from their time period. They had a mix of things from previous decades just like we do now.
Yep, very true. I think it was more out of necessity then, and more out for the love and nostalgia of it now.
I especially love reading sewing books and such from the 40's and 50's on how to update old furniture and draperies.

Does anyone have a piece that was an heirloom that you really don't like, but can't part with because of the sentimental ties?
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
Thanks for the pics!

I'm finding that the best stuff is from the places you mention, except for Tar-jey when you need something new. lol

You're welcome! They probably weren't much of a help since I really don't have anything "displayed" yet.
I'm sure you get the idea and you're right about Target.
I've got to remember to get on Craigslist more often!!
Nikki

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Does anyone have a piece that was an heirloom that you really don't like, but can't part with because of the sentimental ties?

My mother just called me yesterday and told me she was going to donate an antique bed to the local thrift, unless, of course, I would take it. :eek: This bed was from an old relative's estate and also has a matching nightstand & dresser (she wanted to keep those). I don't have room for another antique bed (I have 4 already and only 3 bedrooms) and I'd hate for her to break up the set. I'm trying to convince her to store it somewhere, but I think that's a losing battle. Grrrr....

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
this mixing styles is always at the forefront of my mind...my flat is very small even by UK standards...if i bring a new item into the mix it displaces everything else...so i've a very rigid plan...my main room has late-20s leather deco armchairs, a US depression era lamp and a early-30s German industrial lamp, i've got a Carl Sorensen trumpet vase, which is kinda arts and crafts on the cusp of deco on the sideboard...then i've got a deco table and a late-30s German office swivel chair its very minimalist, mainly because of space and i try the keep it pretty much prewar...in fact i made a decision to have nothing in the flat from after 1952 else its too much of a clash...but there's some small Edwardian and Victorian peices floating about. the hallway is pretty neutral...my bedroom is strictly British wartime and postwar austerity...i have my RAF momentos and lucite sweetheart pins there, and my wardrobe and dresser are CC41 utility, which as you probably know is kinda like the US union made when it refers to war era clothing, and with furniture it usually means the items are cheaply made no frills pieces manufactured between 1942 and 1952...

i'd like more US machine age stuff but the scale doesn't translate. i had a Norman Bel Geddes cobra lamp for a while but it looked all wrong and i sold it back to a US person. it looked as if it was a lamp made for giants...(and perhaps it was). so for me the German Bauhaus influenced style is a acceptable alternative that weds well with British stuff of the same era...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto