Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Different Types of Hatpins

Mason Rudesheim

New in Town
I've been searching for some threads on this topics but the one or two that I have found seem to be long since defunct. That being said, I can't seem to find any pictures of the backs of hatpins unless they are stick pins and do not really have a back. So, I was hoping that through this post I could gather a gist of the prefered styles of hatpins along with common methods of affixing them to hats.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. What do you mean when you say that the threads are defunct? While this isn't a popular topic, I do see many viable threads. Also, a simple image web search turns up a great many images of many styles front and back. Are you looking for ideas relating to pins for men's or women's hats?

Mason Rudesheim

New in Town
What I mean by defunct is that the last post was in 2008, while in general I wouldn't mind reviving an old thread, I feel 8 years is a little long. I am looking for hatpins for mens hats, when I search for hatpins on google images I get pictures of stick pins, mostly vintage women's hatpins. Also, when I searched for hatpins on the lounge all I got was 4 threads, 2 of which were about Stratoliner pins if I remember correctly, while only one of the remaining two had any replies. That being said, I am more or less looking for ways to attach the pins to the hat with the types of pins as sort of an added bonus so to speak.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the clarification. So you're looking for examples of possible ways to wear pins on hats, rather than how the pins themselves may be designed? I get it now.

Mason Rudesheim

New in Town
Exactly. I figure that most hat pins are probably similar to things like political pins with a horizontal pin. At this point I'm just wondering if, like safety pins, they fasten to themselves, or if they are just stuck into the hat band. But for the most part I am looking for how and in which ways to attach them to hats.

makitright

One of the Regulars
I would not go through the felt - you may change your mind down the road and you would have a definite hole that would show. Sure it could be under the ribbon but ribbons get changed if you've had a hat long enough. Ribbon only and not repeatedly.

RJR

The good thing about pinholes in both ribbon and felt is, that they are not holes as in "lost material" ... just as in "slightly displaced material".

A little steam and some light tapping with a brush will heal most pinholes in ribbon and felt ;)
My experience as well.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Where can we buy hat pins? Other than searching eBay or Etsy is there a good supplier of hat pins or a manufacture of hat pins that would make a set of pins based off of my design?

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
FL member Chamuco often wears pins on his hats. I asked him a couple weeks ago where he got his, and he said mostly through Ebay.

Now, let me know if you're into the Tyrolean hat thing, and I can steer you in some other directions . ;)

_DSC1371b.jpg
_DSC1385b.jpg

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Looking for something more like what is in the photo below. Has a long post and the head maybe like a coin, something ornate, a logo, etc. Should just slide behind the hat band.

hatpin.png

I use the type of pin as above only designed for wearing on a lapel. The long pin without the knob on the end. I clip off the majority of the pin and resharpen it. The shortened "lapel" pin can be inserted into the center of the bow. I also have noted that the hole in the ribbon can be steamed and "closed up" when the pin is removed. These are all vintage Mercedes Benz pins from Europe, most are pre-1970.
29198591232_ef4d9dc1bf_z.jpg
29198592022_754103a5c8_z.jpg

29198594192_821cb55d08_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112