Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dill Pickle Recipes

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking of making my own dill pickles. My absolute all-time favorite pickles are Guss' Pickles, from NY. I can't get them in my grocery store anymore, though I think I can order them online. However, I thought it might be fun to can some of my own. Does anyone have any dill pickles recipes they like, and does anyone know how close I can get to a Guss' pickle flavor?

Thanks,

Brad

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
If you really can't live without Guss pickles you can order them online (minimum order 1 gallon).

Or, try making your own. Don't forget you will need a rock and a board ha ha. I remember my great aunt Gladys explaining to my sister in law how to make pickles, reaching into the kitchen cupboard to show her the clean scrubbed granite rock and wooden board she used to weigh the pickles down in the crock.

Sandor Katz the fermented pickle maven and his recipe for real brine pickles.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sour-pickles-2/

You should be able to make pickles just as good although not exactly the same.

For the real old fashioned tomm (flavor) don't can them, keep them in a barrel, crock or food grade plastic pail. Refrigerate when they are fully pickled, about 4 weeks.

The hard part is getting cucumbers the right size (small). They tend to be expensive to buy unless you have a garden or know a place to pick your own. If your friends have cucumber vines they will most likely give them to you gladly. Especially if you promise them some pickles.

Last edited:
I love them, too, and Good dill pickles are not easy to find. For an other variation, have you experienced "Dilly Beans," Brad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko