Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discovery in a Chicago theater of a 1930s clutch purse

From MarketWatch

What the contents of this Depression-era purse might tell us about women

Published: Mar 23, 2017 7:01 a.m. ET

The recent discovery in a Chicago theater of a 1930s clutch purse is a revealing time-capsule

By

RACHELKONING BEALS
NEWS EDITOR
How much have women changed in 80 years? A lot. And in some ways not much at all.

The recent discovery in a Chicago theater of a 1930s clutch purse is a time-capsule glimpse into a night out for a Depression-era young woman. The little red bag’s contents, as reported by DNAInfo.com, were limited to a rosary, a pen, two tubes of lipstick, a still nearly full bottle of liquid foundation, Anacin (modern-day Advil) and a Kelvyn Park pin (which refers to a public park and high school in Chicago’s Hermosa neighborhood).

So much has not changed. No smartphone, of course. Instead, a well-used address and phone number book. Also, no money. Is it simply missing? Did the theater-patron rely on others’ cash that night?

Read: Why men still pick up the check on first dates

MW-FI726_purse__20170322153401_NS.jpg
Eric Nordstrom of Urban Remains
Eric Nordstrom of Chicago’s Urban Remains pried open a rusted red clutch purse from the 1930s to reveal this glimpse of a woman’s night out at the theater.
Handbag inventory in 2017 includes some of the same staples as their 1930s counterparts, and yet much more, based on an informal office poll, a random sample just like the one from nearly 90 years ago. Yes, there a few bottomless Mary Poppins’ bags in the bunch.

Makeup still makes its appearance (four tubes of lipstick and two tubes of lip balm in just one purse for one colleague), cell phones, chargers, work security IDs (not many of those in 1930s), transit cards, credit cards, cash, receipts, hand sanitizer, magazines, a reusable grocery bag, keys (multiple sets in some cases), a first-aid kit, Kleenex, a coupon caddy and candy (reportedly to appease a toddler).

Interestingly, no pens. Does the phone handle any note-taking? And not a single rosary, either, but that’s a discussion beyond this simple archaeological observation.

Don’t miss: Why so many people are addicted to millennial women’s Refinery29 ‘money diaries’

The contents of women’s handbags still fascinate us. Lifestyle sites make a lot out of handbag and tote bag contents and sometimes focus on what the style of the bag itself says about its user as this Refinery 29 quiz does. “What’s in my purse” is a Pinterest board. Cosmopolitan has a quiz about what bag contents say about their owner (me, a hoarder, what?).

Tech-site Verge used to feature a “What’s in your bag?” column for men and women to reveal its staff’s gadget must-haves and more. Writer Katie Drummond had some stand-out items that would not have been found in a woman’s bag in the 1930s: “Do you want skin cancer?” she wrote. “No? Then put sunscreen in your bag. I also wear this men’s antiperspirant, because it’s called Power Rush, and I think everyone should start their day with such a feeling.” Back in 1930s, only 24% of American women were employed, according to the U.S. Census, versus 57% today.

Don’t miss: Pharrell Williams will advertise a $3,600 Chanel ‘man bag’ — why it might actually sell

As for that 1930s purse, it was recently ”excavated” inside the 1920s-era Congress Theater’s air circulation chamber (called a plenum) by urban archaeologist Eric Nordstrom, who recycles and resells historic objects, DNAInfo said. A $50 million redevelopment is now planned for the Logan Square-area former theater into commercial space, residential units and possibly hotel rooms. Nordstrom is hoping to reconnect with the purse owner’s family using names in her address book.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ion-era-purse-tells-us-about-women-2017-03-23

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1950's or possily early 1960s, not 1930's, judging from the Anacin label design, the liquid makeup, and the -- ah -- ball point pen. But still an interesting find.

I think it's possible that whatever money the owner had might have been taken by a purse-snatcher, who then dumped the rest of the bag where it wouldn't be found to incriminate him.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nah, I think they meant it was the over-the-counter-remedy equivalent in term of brand recognition. Like Advil today, Anacin was all over the media in the Era -- "Anacin is a combination of ingredients like your doctor might give you in a prescription!" as Ford Bond said over and over and over again on the radio -- and its advertising was inescapable. Of course, in the Era it also contained an acetanilid compound that could be a deadly poison if not taken right, as the "third active ingredient" alongside the aspirin and the caffeine, but the Boys didn't go into detail about that.

Edward

Bartender
I think it's possible that whatever money the owner had might have been taken by a purse-snatcher, who then dumped the rest of the bag where it wouldn't be found to incriminate him.

My first thought was that it must have been leftg in lost propoerty and forgotten about, but yes, once I read that there was no cash in it, I came to the same conclusion. Presumably the thief stuffed it somewhere hidden, and that's how it got overlooked until this point in time.

It would be interesting to make a similar comparison not only between this and today, but women's handbags across the last hundred years or so. Not unlike a civilian, female verison of that book that showed the changes in a British soldier's kit going back a few hundred years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bags today are substantially larger than they ever were in the Era. I carry a WWII surplus WAC shoulder bag that was large by standards of the Era, but it looks like a change purse next to the things most of the women I know schlep around. But then I don't carry most of the stuff they do, either -- I've got a wallet containing my driver's license, union card, CPR certification card, Downtown Employee Discount Card, a bunch of bank cards, and a small wad of cash. The rest of the bag contains a pen, a compact, a 1923 silver dollar my grandmother gave me for my 10th birthday, and about three months' worth of cash register receipts and pay stubs. For the most part, who steals my purse steals trash.

⇧ "a bunch of bank cards," is that for work? It just doesn't seem to fit your style that you'd have a bunch of personal bank accounts at different banks? Please ignore if too personal.

My girlfriend doesn't carry a purse as she finds them annoying to tote about. The good is it reflect one of the reasons I'm with her - she is her own woman and makes her own decisions. The bad, she will from time to time give me something of hers to carry as some women's clothes have no pockets and, equally bad, I can never give her anything to "please just throw it in your purse" which i used to be able to do with previous girlfriends. I'll take the independent thinker over convenience any day, but still, it was nice to have someone to give an extra pair of glasses to from time to time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, most of the bank cards are for work, for when I need to buy supplies and equipment and such. Two are mine, a debit and a credit, but on examining them one seems to be expired. Funny how that happens. I've also got, it seems, about four years' worth of dentist appointment cards, a Borders gift card (RIP), my Girl Scout membership card from 1973, and a "Buy five burgers get one free" punch card for a burger joint downtown that closed in 2014. I should clean this out more often.

Most of the young women I know don't carry purses -- tote bags bearing some logo or other are the trend now, and some carry enough in them to set up housekeeping on short notice.

Yep, most of the bank cards are for work, for when I need to buy supplies and equipment and such. Two are mine, a debit and a credit, but on examining them one seems to be expired. Funny how that happens. I've also got, it seems, about four years' worth of dentist appointment cards, a Borders gift card (RIP), my Girl Scout membership card from 1973, and a "Buy five burgers get one free" punch card for a burger joint downtown that closed in 2014. I should clean this out more often.

Most of the young women I know don't carry purses -- tote bags bearing some logo or other are the trend now, and some carry enough in them to set up housekeeping on short notice.

Super girlfriend, as is her wont, plays completely and without intent against type - no bag at all.

I have culled my wallet down to practically nothing - driver's license, one credit card, one bank card, one health insurance card (very high premium, massively high deductible and still low/poor coverage on the few things it still covers), metro-pass - done.

Last edited:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
A familiar trope about handbags from the Era that I haven't encountered in a while: You knew you'd picked the wrong boyfriend when you saw the police and he handed you a gun, switchblade or stolen goods and said: "Here, put this in your purse. They won't search you."

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
1950's or possily early 1960s, not 1930's, judging from the Anacin label design, the liquid makeup, and the -- ah -- ball point pen. But still an interesting find.

It seems like a look in her little black book would reveal the decade. If not the phone number type, CALUMET-555! I bet it was the 60s, and she found it in thrift shop, bought it because it was groovy man!

basbol13

A-List Customer
It seems like a look in her little black book would reveal the decade. If not the phone number type, CALUMET-555! I bet it was the 60s, and she found it in thrift shop, bought it because it was groovy man!

Not enough digits for the 1950/60's. It's more likely that the number would reflect the 1892 to 1921 plan that was developed right before the Colombian Exhibition due to the rapidly expanding phone system. And would probably be YARDS 555 or SOUTH 555 reflecting the particular Central Office designated area the caller was located. After 1948 the exchange Calumet would be in use as the system continued to expand and would look like this CAlumet 5-5555. Hope this helps to give a time location.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not enough digits for the 1950/60's. It's more likely that the number would reflect the 1892 to 1921 plan that was developed right before the Colombian Exhibition due to the rapidly expanding phone system. And would probably be YARDS 555 or SOUTH 555 reflecting the particular Central Office designated area the caller was located. After 1948 the exchange Calumet would be in use as the system continued to expand and would look like this CAlumet 5-5555. Hope this helps to give a time location.
I said, "if not, I bet it was the 60s!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk