Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Distinguished Marines featured on postage stamps

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
I can't find any post about this, and they've only been out a little under a month and a half - so since there's so many threads about distinguished servicemen throughout the Golden Era, I thought some of you might like to see this.

The USPS has a set of stamps honoring Distinguished Marines. Four marines are featured, and the pictures they used for the stamps date from 1919, the 1920, 1943, and 1950, and their careers span the golden era.

I don't know how much longer these will be available, though, as the postal rate goes up to 39 cents in January!

;)
J

05_dmarines37_f.jpg

Excerpt about the four:

Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone

The John Basilone stamp features a detail of a 1943 photograph of Basilone and the insignia of the 5th Marine Division. The recipient of the nation's highest military award, Basilone was recognized during World War II for holding 3,000 Japanese soldiers at bay for 72 hours during the battle of Guadalcanal with only 15 men, 12 of whom died. Following this act of heroism, Basilone was sent back to the U.S. to promote war bonds. Shortly thereafter, he requested return to his unit to, "be with my boys." He again distinguished himself by single-handedly destroying an enemy blockhouse and helped guide a friendly tank out of a minefield during the invasion of Iwo Jima, where he was killed during a shelling attack, Feb. 19, 1945, at the age of 28. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross and Purple Heart.

Sergeant Major Daniel J. Daly

The Daniel J. Daly stamp features a detail from a photograph of Daly taken around 1919 and the insignia of the 73rd Machine Gun Company, which is a variation on the Army's 2nd Infantry Division insignia. During World War I, Daly served as a Marine with the 73rd Machine Gun Company in the 2nd Infantry Division. Acclaimed by Maj. Gen John A. Lejeune as "the outstanding Marine of all time," Daly received the Medal of Honor twice for separate acts of heroism.

In 1900, during the Boxer Rebellion, the defense of the American Embassy at Peking (now Beijing) was in the hands of a strong but small force of Marines. On the afternoon of July 13, German soldiers were driven back from their position on the east end of the wall. When a Marine captain asked for a volunteer to take up point and provide cover fire while repairs were made to the fortification, Daly stepped forward and said, "I'm your man." Daly held his position alone, throughout the night, withstanding repeated Boxer assaults, an accomplishment that earned him his first Congressional Medal of Honor.

In 1915, he was a recipient of his second medal when Marines were deployed to Haiti to protect American lives in the wake of an anti-government uprising. Daly was part of a night reconnaissance mission with 35 enlisted Marines and three officers when 400 Haitian bandits fired on them from three sides. The detachment found better position and fought them off throughout the night. At daybreak, the three squads of Marines advanced and surprised the enemy, scattering them in all directions.

Lieutenant General John A. Lejeune

The John A. Lejeune stamp features a detail from a circa 1924 photograph of Lejeune. The stamp also depicts the insignia of the Army's 2nd Infantry Division, which Lejeune commanded during World War I. Born in Pointe Coupee, LA, Lejeune (1867-1942) is best remembered as a wartime commander after being the first Marine General to command an Army division in combat during World War I. He is also credited with saving the Marine Corps from budget cuts and consolidations following World War I and establishing Marine Corps institutions and traditions. The Marine base located near Jacksonville, NC bears his name.

Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

The Lewis B. Puller stamp features a photograph of Puller at Koto-ri, Korea, in 1950, and the insignia of the 1st Marine Division. Nicknamed for his barrel chest, Puller (1898-1971), born in West Point, VA, was one of the most famous Marine commanders in Corps history. He was a battalion commander and regimental commander with the 1st Marine Division during World War II and the Korean War.

True to himself and the Corps, Puller never was one to mince words.

During the Korean War, when surrounded by more than 100,000 Chinese soldiers at the Chosin Reservoir, Puller is believed to have said, "They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."

During his 37-year career, Puller was awarded 14 personal decorations in combat, five Navy Crosses (the nation's second highest award for valor), one Army Distinguished Service Cross plus a long list of campaign medals, unit citation ribbons and other awards. He began his career with the "Horse Soldiers" in China, then on to four World War II campaigns, the Korean War and expeditionary service in China, Nicaragua and Haiti.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Oooh Raaah, Devil Dog!

Good night Chesty Puller, wherever you are...

Prepare to mount....

Mount!

This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine...

Left, right, left...

...oh, the sweet memories...

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
The Captain said:
When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA, I drove down Basilone Road every day and never knew the significance of the name. Thanks, Rigby!
No problem, Captain. Basilone sounds like a man I'd want to follow. Reminds me of one of the 300 Spartans. (can't find my SALUTE smiley, but it belongs right HERE.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails