Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Pattern for WWII B-1 Type flight cap

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I've got an original NOS Type B-1 Flight cap size Seven and an eigth.

Since original examples are rare and pricey, I'd say they are more collectors Items, those of us here on this forum with A-2 Flight Jackets would be happy to have such a good piece of Gear to compliment their attire.

You could buy a repro, but where's the fun in placing an order and checking you mailbox for months when you can sit down put on a movie and Bust out your old singer and Zip one together in short order?!

I made a very accurate pattern and have now successfully made my own Repro B-1 hat using material from recycled clothing from a second hand shop, it was cheap and easy! I can't find a pattern online, so, I'm Willing to put it out there for people, what the hell, why not. These things are RARE! Instead of being tempted to wear an original, you can have the next best thing and simultaneously pride yourself in your own handy work!

and I've even got a B-1 flight cap that was a wartime fabricated B-1 hats made from Khaki Shirt by the quartermaster (Someone maybe lost theirs out the window of their bomber during a mission!?!? you know?) Limited supplies or they were popular hats?

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Copy of the pattern in trade for a different hat pattern? I'd like to share with people who are into Sewing with a machine and trade tips and ideas.. It's a simple pattern for those enthusiasts who are beginners to sewing. It only took me a couple hours to put one together and that was being *Very* meticulous, but could probably produce these much faster if I was pushing.

I can publish the pattern for you and also give you a walk through tutorial, with photos and illustrations. In the meantime I'd Just like to see a show of hands for this project! I'd love to see some of your own homemade WWII pattern clones.

I've only seen one or two other guys out there making their own B-1 Hats (who are apparently also avid WWII memorabilia enthusiasts with a generous collection of Hats) Haven't been able to get in contact with them, so please feel free to PM me if you're interested in this kind of thing

Thank you very much

-Jules

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Here's the work in progress, these Hats will be made with Recycled clothing, it will be difficult to maintain consistency, each hat will have it's own individuality. The original Cotton wool Serge Blend and bakelite Brims are more or less unobtainium materials, I'm recycling hand picked clothing by my standards in terms of details such as colour and quality of the textile. the pigskin Sweatbands are also hard to find so I'm using Leather that will match a flight Jacket or at least close to the color you might find in an original WWII US style Cap or dress hat. I do not own a serge machine, so those are some of the limitations I'm working with. Anyway I've got to make a few larger size and smaller size patterns to meet any sale demands. This is a very fly-by-night affair. I don't think they will be absolutely spec but at least they will be affordable.

When I get the money for an AAF Stamp, That will be a cool addition to mark the brims.

I'm happy with my work and I'm obsessive over details that will make these hats as close to the originals in my personal Collection within my resources and skill set, As I'm also a vintage flight Jacket Enthusiast.

The 4 Panel design is ideal for wearing a set of headphones in flight (no smarties) I am also a drummer and the hat pattern is optimal when I'm wearing big Ear-cans for ear protection, These make ideal utility hats!

I'm happy to discuss details, sale inquiries etc if that is permitted here by the Site.

Attachments

• IMG_4523.JPG
    IMG_4523.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 311

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Here are some photos I took Just now of my own personal Prototype. The only variations are the original Material, the Modern brim which I have trimmed slightly to match close as possibe to an original, it's about right, the original brim is a hair thinner because it's bakelite, same with the original material, I think it's a bit lighter and softer because it's cotton-wool serge, This one is a recycled Jacket with cotton, more like the thickness of a combat Jacket. the peak has a slight curve which I've tried to re-create. new brim material is more durable, that being the only major compromise besides material which I feel is acceptable. The other thing you will note is that the inner seam has no machine serge, with the exception I can cross stitch the seam with a zig-zag instead (Which I have not done here on this one, I need to test how the material will fray over time. but the others I've made so far have the seam stitching that is a bit like a serge. So, that being said, I am happy with my work to create a homemade modern reproduction of a rare classic, I added the Snaps to give the appearance of retrofitted oxygen mask fasteners ( I saw a photo of a B-1 that someone had made this modification on and I liked it) The snaps are Just craft button dome snaps I painted with a little nail polish. and the Canvas was repro material I recycled from a US map case (chinese Counterfeit of course, like world famous brand type canvas, a bit lighter than the real deal WWII stuff) Looks legit to me.

The leather sweat band is hard to press so for now that is something that will have to be broken in over time. I had to use what material I had available given my limited budget and resources.. but will eventually be using pigskin like the original B-1 hat I have and hopefully learn how to press the leather by hand because a machine is expensive, I'd be able to get a vintage Serge machine and leather tools at some point when I have the money.

Again, Size 7 and an Eighth only right now unfortunately, I have made *THREE* other prototypes in this size and another one slightly bigger...in this particular material if anyone is interested, I'd like to ask $30 each plus shipping. PM me if interested I can take detailed photos of what I've got available.

There is a china made counterfeit style one online...The one seen here is still worlds better than that if I do say so myself...the only thing the china made hat has that sells it is the AAF logo stamp on the brim. Otherwise its inferior to an original pattern.

This one fits Just like an original!!!

Limited run, small batch Type B-1 Hat. voila! Ideal for wearing with an A-2 Jacket.

What do you think so far? be honest, I'd like to progressively make improvements to your suggestions...the difference between something good and something great is in the little details, so let me know if you think something is missing.

Thanks for lookin, they say proof is in the pudding whatever the hell that means?!?

Please Tell me what you think, even if It's "don't quit your DayJob" or something haha!

-Jules

Attachments

• IMG_4530.JPG
    IMG_4530.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_4535.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG
    634.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4533.JPG
    IMG_4533.JPG
    535.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4532.JPG
    IMG_4532.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_4534.JPG
    IMG_4534.JPG
    572.4 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

allan4570

New in Town
Jules, looks like a fine job to me. These hats were utilitarian and not made to "exacting" specs. Of course that doesn't mean it gives you lee way to venture into your own style! The sweatband does need some fine tuning, but, this would be a great outdoor cap, recognized only by a few.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Thank you. Yeah, I know what you mean about the sweatband, It needs to be pressed and cut correctly and sewn with a bit more Ease, I Just wanted to get this one finished to wear it. a bit more research into the techniques will get me there in time... I've been wearing it Doing Drywall and insulation today, sweat is helping the leather breaking in, Still bunched up so if you have any pointers I'm all ears.

allan4570

New in Town
Nothing like wearing something you've made! On your sweatband, what type of leather is in your original. You mention pigskin.
This picture I have included is the way the sweatbands were sewn into the American Civil War kepi. This example is by Greg Starbuck. He makes probably the best Confederate kepi's out in the hobby today and for the movie industry. Kepi sweatband.jpg

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
That's definitely sewn in different than the one I have, but I could sew it in either way of course, I've seen wedge caps with bands sewn that way, if you have an original with any variation I'm sure I can make alterations no sweat (Get it?) My B-1 Cap has a pig skin (at least I'm pretty sure it's pigskin anyway) sweatband that is Machine pressed, and sewn in the way I have done because the cap has no liner, and straight stitch line but I can do it that way no problem I'd have to sew the liner in first, then fold the seam under and put the over-Stitch on last which is easier than the way I've done it. The original B-1 I have was manufactured by the Zip-A-Bag corporation. I'm curious to know When was the sewing machine invented..before the Civil war?

I'll have to dig up my original B-1 Type hat and take some photos for reference in that case.

Last edited:

allan4570

New in Town
That's definitely sewn in different than the one I have, but I could sew it in either way of course, I've seen wedge caps with bands sewn that way, if you have an original with any variation I'm sure I can make alterations no sweat (Get it?) My B-1 Cap has a pig skin (at least I'm pretty sure it's pigskin anyway) sweatband that is Machine pressed, and sewn in the way I have done because the cap has no liner, and straight stitch line but I can do it that way no problem I'd have to sew the liner in first, then fold the seam under and put the over-Stitch on last which is easier than the way I've done it. The original B-1 I have was manufactured by the Zip-A-Bag corporation. I'm curious to know When was the sewing machine invented..before the Civil war?

I'll have to dig up my original B-1 Type hat and take some photos for reference in that case.
Yes, the sewing machine was invented before the ACW. But it was in limited use as far as homes go. They were small hand operated machines. Like to see your original hat. I have a couple of M43 German Italian camo hats I wear when I'm outside cutting grass or trimming the trees. Most people think they are my "hunting" hats.

Cocker

Practically Family
Again, Size 7 and an Eighth only right now unfortunately, I have made *THREE* other prototypes in this size and another one slightly bigger...in this particular material if anyone is interested, I'd like to ask $30 each plus shipping. PM me if interested I can take detailed photos of what I've got available.

Jules, this is an amazing job you are doing here! If you ever go with some 7 1/2, please let me know as I'd be really interested.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Jules, this is an amazing job you are doing here! If you ever go with some 7 1/2, please let me know as I'd be really interested.

I'll see what I can do, I might have to cut and alter a new pattern to make a correctly sized hat for you, I don't think there's enough of this material left over from the Jacket, I have one sleeve left and it might not give me enough material for the brim. It may take time to source some new material to make you one on demand in that size in similar material, What I have right now is tan Khaki which is a bit lighter weight material, or do you need something in this same heavy cotton O.D. Green?

Cocker

Practically Family
Hey Paul,

From the pictures I've seen, I really dig the material you're using on this one. There's absolutely no rush at all, though, so just let me know if you happen to source the same kind of material as used on yours. I have one replica from WW2 Impressions, I do like it, but the back of the head is oddly shaped and standing too high. From what I can see, this don't seems to be the case with yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto