Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Waxed Canvas Bag

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
I recently decided to get a waxed canvas bag for my Every Day Carry, and did a fair amount of research on this forum for a good one. As much as I appreciate the aesthetic and quality of Filson, Saddleback, etc etc, I couldn’t find one that really fit my requirements. I ultimately ended up getting a cheaper canvas bag and waxing it myself. Thought I’d make a quick thread on it …

I’ve been carrying a man bag for years, and have found that the cross-body sling bags are the most ergonomic and practical design : they’re easy to access, they don’t flop around while on a bike, they distribute the weight more evenly and don’t tire out one shoulder, and they’re the right size to accommodate an umbrella, water bottle, sunglass case, phone, wallet, and keys. I found one by Muzee for about $20, and got some Greenland Wax for about $5.

Waxing the bag was a fairly simple process. Wash, dry, and take a lint roller to the bag...

1PS.jpg

Rub the bar of wax over the canvas and coat it with a thin layer of wax.

2PS.jpg

Use a hair dryer or iron to heat up the wax and melt it into the canvas.

3PS.jpg

That’s it. You can add another coat of wax if you want, but one thin coat was enough to waterproof my bag. And I have enough leftover wax to do 5 more bags.

4PS.jpg

So, there it is. A waterproofed waxed canvas cross-body sling bag for my EDC :)

6PS.jpg

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Nice. Thanks for sharing. I've done some digging around for homemade wax recipes. A few are found on youtube. But even those were going to cost at least $5 and a heck of a lot more bother than opening a box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner