Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you buy a straw hat every year?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I wear my straw hats until they start to come apart. No need to throw something away when it is still able to be used. The stains, dirt and so forth just add character.

Dallashat

New in Town
" I just started carrying a nice large linen handkerchief with me and pausing occasionally to wipe off the sweatband. Sweat stains bleeding through on the straw have become a non-issue since then.".
I too have used this to keep the sweat from staining my hats too, also you can rub some candle wax on the thread stitching of the sweat band to keep the sweat from whicking to the straw.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, the short lifespan of them is what has kept me from ever buying one. For the money they charge for one, it's gotta last longer than one season to be worth it to me.

Im not saying I only own one straw or summer hat, I own about 4 I just buy a new one every year to keep the rotation going, I have noticed that my bottom of the line Panama Bobs that only cost 30 bucks have still last 3 years

hatguy1

One Too Many
I'm unable to find a Panama Bobs website. But I see Panama Jack has some straw product line. Probably not the quality of the $150+ straw fedoras our local hatter offers, but at $27, far more affordable.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I can see the trouble if you buy those very white straw hats.

I bought a cheapo Whole Earth "natural" (warm tan) colored straw before I went to Australia 10 years ago and it just keeps gaining character. The pinch is about to finally fray or break and then I'll toss it but it's been a great hat. It's got a fabric sweatband and a fabric hatband and they don't stain much. The straw got soaked with sweat out an inch or so from the band but it's dark enough so it's not the first thing you see. The straw is pretty flexible so it has worn well over the years. Seeing that I live in SoCal and a felt hat is a bit much most of the year it's got to be my best value for my hat dollar. I wear it more than anything else I've got.

There is a spot with hats and leather jackets (and cars!) where they go from new looking to irritatingly imperfect. I suspect that if most of us can hold out, one or two flaws soon enough become twenty and then it's got patina, worn IN not out and utterly "yours."

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://the-panama-hat-works-of-montecristi.myshopify.com/ seems to be his new spot on the interweb. I know he has a ebay store as well but can't remember the name of it. I bought one of his $25 Cuencano Montecristi years ago as well as an Optimo for around $150. Not as white as they uses to be but still holding in there. I just have to be careful about drying out. Alberta is very dry and I need to put mine in the bathroom while I shower to bring it to life. If not I am sure it may get brittle and crack. But so far so good.
Johnny

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I also do not buy my straw hats right before summer or during the summer. I wait to purchase a straw hat after the summer has ended. The sellers (around where I live) generally put their remaining straws on sale and at times are open to a bit of bartering. So I may not have the overwhelming selection but I may pay considerably less, and I am happy with that. :D

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
The worst Panama I ever owned was the one I paid the most for. Was on vacation in San Diego and went in Village Hat Shop and got a Stetson Panama, fell apart within a year with a huge hole in the pinch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred