Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you get comments when you DON'T dress vintage?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
How many of us are "the vintage gal" in our circles of friends? I'm the only one who dresses vintage and most of a certain circle of friends only know me as dressing vintage. Back in the winter, there was a birthday party where I was coming down with a cold and it was snowing so I just didn't feel up to doing everything. Everyone was shocked to see me in modern clothes. They made comments about it all night. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
High expectations

I get it too! I have had people go so far as to say they didn't recognize me lol In the winter I sometimes resort to jeans for school with a vintage sweater or something. People are actually disappointed! They are used to seeing me with something different on everyday, always vintage or at least vintage inspired. I have many vintage eyeglasses too and people in my classes always check out which ones I'm wearing when I get to class. Its pretty funny, some people tell me they actually look forward to my crazy vintage outfits :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yesterday I got compliments on my modern blouse from several co-workers. I was wearing a baby doll eyelet blouse with cuffed capris and sandals with my hair down and long. After saying she liked my blouse a few times my co-worker that I've worked with for three years told me "I've been staring at you all day and finally figured out what's different. You're wearing NORMAL clothes". Haha! I've been doing my hair and wearing vintage most of the winter and spring, so I guess it was different from normal.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't have friends. It's a lifestyle choice. They don't fit into my life right now and I don't like the way I've experienced other women's behavior towards each other in the past.:eek:fftopic: But there's always someone who's kind to compliment my more modern styles and to point out how I look so much more my age when I dress "smart".:rolleyes: I've actually been rude enough to say things like: "Thanks but I happen to disagree with you" which is a standard rude reply in so many different situations, or "Thanks, I'm glad you like it because I don't and wouldn't have worn it if I wasn't having a laundry day [or whatever excuse]".

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
No one ever sees me dressing modern! I just don't own anything without a bit of VI flair. But my best friend nearly fell off her chair when I told her I'd bought a pair of jeans... all Miss Bella Hell's fault for introducing me to something with such a flattering cut! ;) I haven't been brave enough to wear my jeans to work yet... talk about the complete opposite of most people! lol

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I definitely get comments when I'm not wearing vintage! Mostly from my lecturers at uni, they can't understand that sometimes I wear flat shoes to walk through the city ^-^ They're so used to seeing me in heels and skirts xx

Inky

One Too Many
I wear both vintage, vintage inspired and vintage sewn-by-me. I try to only by "classic" pieces that will withstand the test of time, especially in my advancing years (hahahah - my 49th birthday is in 30 days- freak out much, Inky?)

I do wear jeans from time to time, but I am slowly replacing those with vintage styled ones. I've given up on t-shirts, but I do have some 3/4 sleeve cotton tops that are comfy and I wear often. I'm starting to make blouses now in 40's style to replace those.

So no, i don't get to many comments either way, modern or vintage. But then I really don't have any friends out here. And my family has ALWAYS known I march to a different drummer (little do they know YOU are all in my marching band too!)

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Aww, it makes me sad that some of you great gals don't have equally great girlfriends to go get a coffee with or have a phone chat. However, I only have three marginally-good friends living near me and each of them has made a point to tell me they hate how I dress.

Just last weekend I was volunteering at a charity and met one of these friends afterward wearing the T-shirt volunteers are required to wear. She said I looked "normal for once". Ouch. Another "friend" once brought me a pair of flip-flops she had bought for me and would not stop hounding me until I put them on. I wore them for about an hour before I twisted my ankle and fell to the ground, which caused her to laugh hysterically. Good thing the strap tore off of one of the damn things in the fall, so I could throw them away.

On second thought, friends=sprained ankles. Carry on!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I was helping a friend out by doing some acting bits for a spec commercial. Anyway, when I got there, I didn't know anyone and the makeup lass sent me into the bathroom to wash off my makeup (winged eyeliner, red lipstick, etc). I came back out and one of the younger crew guys said "Dude, you look like wayy younger...how old are you really?"
So I guess vintage=older and unattainable and nonvintage=young and easy.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fleur De Guerre said:
No one ever sees me dressing modern! I just don't own anything without a bit of VI flair. But my best friend nearly fell off her chair when I told her I'd bought a pair of jeans... all Miss Bella Hell's fault for introducing me to something with such a flattering cut! ;) I haven't been brave enough to wear my jeans to work yet... talk about the complete opposite of most people! lol

Well, you DO look amazing in them!! ;)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I generally take a few camping/adventure trips a year. I do not dress vintage then. It's funny to share my photos afterwards with friends and family. There is always a comment of " I barely recognize you like that!"

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I wear jeans everyday (hey, I'm either rolling around on the ground at work or in the sculpture lab these days), but usually pair it with a blouse or plaid shirt for the rockabilly look. I do my hair and make-up almost everyday too.

But when I don't do my hair and wear a t-shirt and jeans I get almost NO comments. This sounds like bragging, but usually acquaintances or people at work compliment me on my outfit or hair, but when I'm dressed modern I rarely get compliments. I do, however, sometimes get compliments on my hair if I put it up in a ponytail, probably because I have more of a "hipster" look then.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't wear pants very often, but when I do it tends to generate comments. The other day I was on a stepladder in front of the theatre scrubbing under the marquee with a mop, and was wearing my heavy-work overalls. "NICE MONKEY SUIT!" was one of the remarks passed. Too bad what happened to that guy when he passed under my mop.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I got a compliment from hub today and I'm only wearing capris, bobby socks, mao shoes, and a polo shirt. I've noticed he compliments me more when I wear pants than when I wear skirts and when I'm more modern than vintage. It really irritates me and makes me more determined to shift my wardrobe. I don't want to dress a way I don't really care for just to please him. I'm not that insecure but it obviously affects me otherwise I wouldn't feel a need to air it all here.:( He doesn't criticize the way I dress or make fun of it but I just wish I had more support for my style. Maybe it's just because I wore pants the first time we met and he likes to be reminded of that time.[huh] I wore a black pin striped pair of pants with a lavender purple top that mainly looked like it was the top part of a 1970s/80s gym outfit (Jane Fonda).:eek:

This Spring I invested in much needed capris and shorts. However, I've already decided that next Spring I'm filling my wardrobe with dresses and skirts!:mad: :p

Mao shoes, and sensible ECCO footwear will NOT be replaced with heels!

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Iit's funny, my style has changed so much over the last couple of years (it's still only a little vintage, but i'm working on that =) that the comments i get depend a lot on how long i've known folks.

Last summer a newish friend stopped me to point out that i was wearing jeans, he said he hadn't ever seen me in anything but a skirt. It took me completely aback, because i hadn't realized my wardrobe had changed so much. My friends from college probably wouldn't even recognize me in a skirt! And i still get "wow, you look so...girly" comments from some friends when i wear skirts, even though i've hardly worn anything else for the last year. I guess it takes some getting used to ;)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I don't yet dress completely vintage (we'll get there, I'm in the process of changing my wardrobe, but being short of money will take quite a while). I have changed my job couple of months ago and at the beginning it was just exhausting and didn't have any time for the curls. But then I started doing them, and when I walked in my boss didn't recognize me, he came over to introduce himself to the new girl lol ! People tend to notice me more when my hair is curled and vintage looking - maybe because it's DIFFERENT to the norm, but I had people saying "it's a work of art" (whether they were taking the piss I don't know and don't particularly care). Then when is just straight nobody says anything, and now at work they seem slightly disappointed for not having something to look at, good or bad, that is :D .

Lillemor, I know what you mean about your husband perhaps not supporting your choices they way you would like, but you need to remember even in a couple we are different people with different taste and in different places in a moment of time. Plus, men are simple creatures and easily pleased, usually completely satisfied with something clingy that shows off your forms in one way and another. They don't like complicated things and often don't get the sense of humor behind a look either. Let us not speak about anything sophisticated lol !
Having said that, I do appreciate the opinion of my husband and ask for it (although on occasions really irritates me :p ) just so I see how my look is perceived by somebody who's not necessarily into that sort of thing. At the end of the day he's my best friend and will tell exactly what he thinks without sugaring the pill. I feel that I need that especially if I am so in love with a look I can't be but subjective of how it becomes me (or not :) ), and on those occasions I know I may be blind as a bat. Of course I still do what I want, ans sometimes probably getting it painfully wrong.
I get more irritated really when it appears to ME that a style that I absolutely love does not suit me at all, than with all the opinions in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot