Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have vintage kids?

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Anybody dress their kids vintage??

I've dressed my son up "greaser" like before~ cuffed jeans, 'wife-beater', Chuck Taylor's, even greased hair, (not often though, he messes it up).

I've never come across any cute retro/vintage boys clothes, and honestly my son would just ruin it anyway... he's very much a boys boy.

Have any of you other ladies dressed your little ones up?

Shearer

Practically Family
Voodoo Kitten said:
I've dressed my son up "greaser" like before~ cuffed jeans, 'wife-beater', Chuck Taylor's, even greased hair, (not often though, he messes it up).

I've never come across any cute retro/vintage boys clothes, and honestly my son would just ruin it anyway... he's very much a boys boy.

Have any of you other ladies dressed your little ones up?

Hey, Voodoo Kitten (or anyone else with small kids) try Knuckleheads Clothing if you want to get some cute vintage-y boys stuff. I don't know how old your son is, but I think they go up to 5T. Definitely more along the Rockabilly side, but I know what I'll be getting my nephew for his b-day.

timorous me

Familiar Face
Knuckleheads has the CUTEST clothing! There are also a lot of good sellers on Etsy for that sort of thing.

I have a four-year-old half sister, she (and more importantly, her MOTHER) is too much of a princess to dress up in vintage. But, I did buy her a tiny pink flowered parasol in Chinatown to match some of mine ;-)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I'm curious... Those of you with children, do they dress vintage? Do they like vintage? Do you do vintage toys? Books? Etc?

I have two girls who both love vintage (one especially, one sometimes). The younger one LOVES anything pre 40s (and would wear it if we could ever find it!). The older one loves 70s and 80s (not so vintage!). Their loves for their eras stretch to books and music, too. (yes, they do confuse their friends... a lot... :) My youngest really has a thing for vintage children's cookbooks, and has started quite a neat little collection!

What kinds of goodies do you and your kiddos have/love?

December

One of the Regulars
I am the vintage kid.

My Dad, in particular, is in love with the 60s which is where my affair with all things vintage started.

My Grandma and Grandad are (were, in the case of my Grandad) both hugely into modern history and my Grandad would scour antique shops looking for treasures.

I guess I was just brought up around people who were very appreciative of the early-mid 20th century so it was natural that I would follow suit.

My mum also loves anything 50s but doesn't actively chase vintage items. If she gets a gift from someone, she'll love it but she won't buy anything herself.

When I eventually do have children, they will be kitted out in clothes from vintage patterns with vintage-inspired games and toys. No Disney here, thanks. Of course, once they get old enough to want to keep up with the mini-Jones', they won't be forced to stay vintage. If they want to, fine. If they want the latest trend or game, then fine (within reason!!).

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic:
My youngest really has a thing for vintage children's cookbooks, and has started quite a neat little collection!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Once upon a time parents encouraged collecting. I applaud you. It is quite fun to take children to a shop and teach them how to act in it. Then let them go on a treasure hunt to find some new find for their collection.
I collected post cards and TV guides as a 9 yr. old, my brother matchbooks, and my little sister salt and pepper shakers.
Our mother had a key role in this and I now make my living by her encouragement.
IMHO the greatest need in the field today is somehow getting the younger children and teens interested in collecting vintage.
Something, anything.
Buttons, Hankies, many things can be picked up for nominal prices. I am slowly teaching my granddaughters whatever I can when I am able to about antiques and vintage.
I have been picking up little perfume bottles for them.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have one son who loved to have matching 50's style bowling shirts like his dad (I sewed them for him, they don't make them in his size) but as he gets closer and closer to being a teenager, he's gotten away from those shirts.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Good for you, December! Being a little different--and knowing what to do with that difference in a positive way--can be so empowering. My daughters don't follow the herd in their choices, so far in clothes, music, reading, entertainment. I'm hoping that is a trend that will continue when other forces come along, you know... And they're confident enough to wear things that are different, regardless of the comments they might get occassionally (as in the thread here on comments we all get at times).

And also, as with my younger daughter, knowing that her things are "vintage" or "old" or even sometimes kind of delicate, she takes very good care of them. Nothing gets broken, nothing gets lost.... and she knows the history behind so much. She also appreciates value (she can out ebay me sometimes!), knowing that, in many cases, that doll or that compact, or that cookbook was someone's treasure for Christmas or a birthday, and she sees it as a duty to take care of it.

And, like I said, if we could find her little 40s clothes, she SO wear them! She found a stash of patterns in the thrift store that she's scoping out for sizing!

D

Deleted member 12480

December - I'm the vintage kid too!

Me and my cousin are positively enraptured by all this stuff - and our family members find it hilarious. Unfortunately my grandma was more a 60s gal than a 40s one, and my great grandma disposed of her vintage a while back - she's into those velcro deichmann pumps now that they make for kids! (she is TINY!)

Whenever someone comes round or i meet someone they know, my mother feels the need to tell them i'm 'going through her 40s stage' now.

STAGE?? WHAT STAGE!

My sister is also a bit of a 60s fanatic and would marry bob dylan if she could - even as he is now.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I'm the vintage kid in my family as well...

I come from a family of hoarders and my mother has kept a few of her old clothes. Often whenever I come back from shopping she says "I used to have something like that."

But annoyingly... it's always the things that she didn't keep!
I'd have saved a lot of money by now if my mother was more of a clothes hoarder.

D

Deleted member 12480

true!
my grandma hoards EVERYTHING except clothes it would appear.
(she hoards makeup to - its so much fun to go round and take all the lids off the lipstick!)

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
My sons dress vintage

Jamespowers and I have two sons. John is 21 months and Daniel is 3-1/2 years old. Jamespowers has been buying vintage clothes, hats, shoes, ties, toys,and etc. for them for a long time (before they were born). The time period we dress them in runs from the 1930s to 1950s. Lately, Daniel has been attending preschool in 1940s-1950s clothing. He was dress up as 1940s sailor for Holloween at school. Daniel like to dress vintage a lot. He loves to choose what he wants to wear. Daniel hardly ever leaves the house without a fedora on. Our sons have been dressing up vintage since they were a few months old.

Bye! LadyPowers

amygeorgina

New in Town
I have a 2 year old daughter and as she gets a bit older I would like to start trying to get her into vintage stuff, at the minute she's mostly in jeans and tshirts for ease!

I do admire anyone who has a vintage toddler - they're so messy!! Lady Powers, it's very cute that your little ones get involved, I bet Daniel looks very dapper in his fedora.

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
amygeorgina said:
I do admire anyone who has a vintage toddler - they're so messy!! Lady Powers, it's very cute that your little ones get involved, I bet Daniel looks very dapper in his fedora.

Thanks! People always make comments about what they have on. Comments start with: look at his hat, look at his shoes, look at his tie, they like his tie, look at his clothes. He dressed good. Are you part of a play?

People are not used to seeing two little boys dressing vintage. The boys like to dress like their Dad.

Daniel is in preschool and get everything on his clothes (paint, dirt, food, playdough, etc). We buy oxyclean by the bucket for the kids laundry.

Jamespowers loves to shop and he finds a lot of vintage. The qaulity vintage clothing lasts longer for the kids than the modern clothing. The zippers and thread rot in modern clothing very easily.

John will not leave the house without his fedora either. When jamespowers leaves for work, John puts on his fedora and tries to go out too. Both my sons will not leave the house without a fedora on. The kids dress vintage and don't realize it. They just like the clothes. Daniel loves wearing vintage ties, and different styles of fedora.
Regards, LadyPowers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21