Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you see a time when you stop wearing vintage?

Louise Anne

Suspended
Somewhere there a thread about why people wearing vintage so I thought I it might be interesting to explore if there would be a reason why at some point you stop wearing vintage.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Strangely enough i was having a bit of a think about this today. How weird is that? More to the point, i was actually thinking that i actually have a pretty good, classic vintage wardrobe, which aside from a few items (the more rockabilly tight 'n' sassy bits, ridiculously high heels etc..), i can see no reason why i shouldn't wear for the rest of my days. I may have to invest in some serious shapewear for the middle aged spread when it hits though!

I think a lot of vintage clothing looks great on women of any age, it's part of the appeal for me, a classic fifties suit, a circle skirt, a forties cotton sundress....

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I can't really say however the vintage that I wear is kind of changing - instead of circle skirts I am leaning more towards wiggle dresses and shift/sheath dresses - I think that style suits me better.

However, like Miss Sofia I can't see why not - some vintage styles are timeless and will always be chic....

Louise Anne

Suspended
I am also thinking if you wore a Victorian outfit today people would really stare if you popped into Boots or a supermarket for something. Wearing 40/50 at the moment that's seen as just vintage, will in 25 years time your 40/50 clothes been seen as too vintage like Victorian style are today.
or will it remain as classic

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
The only difference will be that I'll find a dressmaker who can make vintage clothing for me. My budget will hopefully have more wiggle room in it. :)

I do get where you're coming from tho' Paul. In 25 years, will what we consider to be vintage, have turned into antiques and just be too costumey for wearing to the grocery? I think predicting the future, especially in regards to fashion is almost pointless, but unless there's some massive change in clothing in the next 20 years, I just don't see a big enough change in the essentials to make most of our stuff unwearable.

I've been thinking about this a bit. What makes something "modern"? If we take 1950 as our average vintage year, most of the elements are still considered very mainstream. While the overall look is different- it's not a complete change in esthetic. You could wear a pencil skirt or sweater from that era without attracting attention. That was 61 years ago. Now go the other direction. 61 years prior to our vintage year was 1889. I can't imagine hardly anything from 1889 being worn in 1950 except as a costume. No pants for women. Way too much fabric. Just everything about that Gilded Age look would have been obsolete. Weren't they wearing bustles that year? The last thing anyone would want too wear!

Anything's possible though. Maybe we'll all be wearing see-through plastic clothes, just like that 1930's video predicted :)

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
I think our last century is the modern style. This beccause the women went liberated.
We went liberated! We have worn pants for a hundred years, we played tennis in short skirts in the 20's, offcourse short skirts and shorts were only allowed in sport events at first but now we can wear what ever we like!
Lets have a look at men and their fashion, always pants or trousers, century after century, nothing new on their sky. When mens fashion havent changed for such a long time (do you ever it will be fashion for men wearing dresses and ruffled aprons?) I belive we never change back too heavy dresses with crinolines or bustles in fashion. We know we have the same value and can do the same things!

With this in my mind I can't see how the dressing with inspiration of the 1920's and frowad (vintage) vill ever be out of fashion.

I also belive that we will see more velldressed people with vintage inspiration in a near future and that they will take the time to brush the hair.. With some countries going bankrupcy we want to have a strong hold in our savings and this will probably show in the way we dress as people wont afford following turning trends and buy new clothes twice a year. So what to do? Iron the clothes you wear, mend the holes and brush your hair and pull on a smile and you have never left your home better dressed than that!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
To be honest, I don't do vintage during the winter. I just can't gather the motivation to dress up when there's several inches of melting snow and filthy slush that has to be stomped through. That being said, I think modern fashion and society has changed so that one doesn't have to conform to be accepted. Fashion is a form of personal expression. As for seeing myself stopping, sure, anything is possible. Macular degineration runs in my family, so there's a good possibility of blindness in my future. If that happens, I would probably stop caring about setting my hair or doing my makeup.

Edward

Bartender
I'm full-time at least vintage inspired, year round. Actually, most of my better vintage looks are suited to the colder weather. I still make the effort in the Summer, much as I hate the hot weather and suffer in it (completely aside from the fact that my Black Dog seems to, in part, take the form of a bizarre, reverse-SAD) - I suppose that's one form of coping mechanism I have when I'm finding the climate difficult.

I can't see me abandoning vintage at any future point, though there is a chance I might look less odd to the normals when I actually am the old man they consider I dress as. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
About ten years ago I was sick and lost a lot of weight -- about thirty pounds -- and none of my clothes would fit. I knew I'd gain the weight back once I was recovered, so I just grabbed some random stuff from the Goodwill to wear until I recovered -- none of it was flagrantly "modern," but it was more so than anything I'd worn up to then. And I felt ridiculous in it -- like I was wearing a costume. I didn't feel like myself at all. I learned a lesson there, and unless I get really sick again, I won't be repeating it.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I can't see it for me. It just fits and wears so well. I'm still transitioning from my old Goth/ Industrial style and have days when I want to go to clubs more deiselpunk and wear red eyeshadow- but overall my lookis more classic and I think always will be. Plus- I'll be in fashion again soon enough- its all cylical.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm full-time at least vintage inspired, year round. Actually, most of my better vintage looks are suited to the colder weather. I still make the effort in the Summer, much as I hate the hot weather and suffer in it (completely aside from the fact that my Black Dog seems to, in part, take the form of a bizarre, reverse-SAD) - I suppose that's one form of coping mechanism I have when I'm finding the climate difficult.

I can't see me abandoning vintage at any future point, though there is a chance I might look less odd to the normals when I actually am the old man they consider I dress as. [huh]

That's interesting, i thought i was alone in having reverse SAD.

Edward

Bartender
That's interesting, i thought i was alone in having reverse SAD.

MMn, I don't know what the proper terminology is - to my knowledge, SAD is only really recognised as such when it occurs in Winter, but it's a very pronounced element of how the depression affects me that it is prone to being significantly worse in Summer.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes me too. I think with me, there is the semi-hibernation aspect of Winter i like, safe and sound at home or scuttling around in the cold, well wrapped up, the Winter nights drawing in early et al. I take comfort from it and i enjoy it much more compared to Summer when the Black Dog seems to be at its' most persistent.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I would ever stop wearing vintage completely - Like Lizzie said, when I wear something quite modern, I feel like I'm in costume. Even when I'm not pulling a full on time warp, my clothes are classic and timeless, and most people think it still looks vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points