Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think it is sexy if a man dresses in Vintage clothes?

themarilynadventures

New in Town
Hiya,

I love the mens sections in my favourite Vintage Shops. I want a man who will be my Manequin to dress up! My boyfriend flat our refuses. But I think Vintage Clothes on men are sexy. What do you think?

I have just done on a post on my Blog about how to do a Traditional Barber Shop Shave and all the tools needed (my boyfriend was kind enough to be my lab rat on this one) so please pop along and tell me what you think!

India
x
www.themarilynadventures.blogspot.co.uk

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
Absolutely! I think that it is nice to see a guy all dressed up just as some men like to see women dressed up. Just as a tee shirt and jeans have become standard for women, they have become standard for men, and I personally find it appealing to see a man dressed up, and even better with a stylistic flair such as vintage.

My man started doing his hair vintage (pomps), but began growing his hair, so now it is back in a hair tie. I am not particularly fond of it, but as he lets me do what I want with my hair, I let him do what he likes.

asentimentaljourney

New in Town
^^Agreed. I find a well-fitted tshirt and jeans to be incredibly sexy on a guy (think Marlon Brando or James Dean). I also love it when I see guys wearing fedoras, etc. I'd much rather see guys in classic clothes that actually fit instead of pants that are around their knees or saggy shirts. I love vintage styling on men! It's a shame more don't try it!

In a perfect world I'd find me a guy that would have fun dressing vintage with me. We certainly would be a pair to behold : )

themarilynadventures

New in Town
Absolutely! I think that it is nice to see a guy all dressed up just as some men like to see women dressed up. Just as a tee shirt and jeans have become standard for women, they have become standard for men, and I personally find it appealing to see a man dressed up, and even better with a stylistic flair such as vintage.

My man started doing his hair vintage (pomps), but began growing his hair, so now it is back in a hair tie. I am not particularly fond of it, but as he lets me do what I want with my hair, I let him do what he likes.

I definitely agree there. Marlon Brando is divine! Just like women it's not plausible to be dressed up all the time. I know that back then it was different as standards of dress for females were so high! But nowadays Its easy to feel overdressed in vintage when your friends are wearing jeans and Tshirt. I know there is nothing wrong with looking smart but I am definitely going to work on some looks that are casual yet still maintain that vintage glamour. Sorry to distract of original post idea bit your comment has made me curious. Does anyone else feel like this when amongst non vintage people? What do you do ?

India x

SheBear74

Practically Family
I LOVE it when my husband wears dress pants and shirt. So much so that the knows to walk backwards past me otherwise he may get fondled. lol I so wish it was the standard for men to dress up everyday!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Surely, then, we are saying that it's nice for a guy to dress nicely than necessarily wear vintage..? I can only speak for myself, but I really love it when my fiancee wears clothes that fit perfectly, and for him to achieve that, he has to have them made a lot of the time. We've tried shopping vintage for him but anything he likes generally doesn't fit. Having said that, my dad gave him a gorgeous blue velvet jacket from his youth which he had taken in by his tailor and that looks awesome... So I guess my answer is 'yes, but it's sexier when the clothes fit properly'.

lareine

A-List Customer
I would love it if my husband dressed nicely, vintage or not. Getting him to wear clothes that fit at all is a challenge. He favours three-sizes-too-large black t-shirts with heavy metal band logos on them, and combat trousers in ugly camouflage patterns. Sigh. He wore a plain black t-shirt that actually fit him on our wedding day, so that was a step forwards. If my husband wore vintage clothing it would steer him towards more stylish options but that wouldn't help if he chose the wrong size or matched things badly.

I love him very much, but not his dress sense!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I think a well-fitted suit is sexy whether it's vintage or an Armani bought yesterday. My husband changed jobs about a year ago and the new one requires a suit and tie. Wow! He looks fantastic every day!

JoesSweetheart

New in Town
Oooh yes! Vintage is hot. ;)

My husband will dress up in a suit and tie and all that on special occasions. His everyday wear is rather 'lumberjack' style... Plaid flannel tucked into black jeans and combat boots... Hehehe

He has mentioned wanting spats though...

Flicka

One Too Many
I do have a thing for '20s and '30s suits. '50s stuff doesn't really do much for me though - it's not really about 'vintage', but me having a weakness for debonair dandyism, which isn't what a bowling shirt signals to me.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
A man doesn't necessarily have to dress in vintage clothes to impress me - If he's wearing a sharply tailored suit though, like Don Draper, then my heart will probably begin to pound. ;)

But nowadays Its easy to feel overdressed in vintage when your friends are wearing jeans and Tshirt. ... Does anyone else feel like this when amongst non vintage people? What do you do ?

I "dress vintage" all the time, so what feels more casual to me is really dressy to the person next to me. This is probably why I personally do not feel overdressed when people around me are wearing jeans and t-shirts - I am myself, and they are themselves, and if I feel appropriate then that's alright with me!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
In order of drool-worthiness:

Vintage suit ('30's to '50s)
Well-cut modern suit (stovepipe-y trousers excluded)
Any suit
jeans and tee (rockabilly-style)

Modern male casual (i.e. dressing like your son or grandson) is just not on my drool radar.

(By the way, I don't drool for real. Well, not often. )

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I like 30s double-breasted suits, but they only seem to look best on guys actually in the 30s. I'm not a fan of 40s and 50s baggy suits with huge shoulders -- nothing is more unflattering.

A man in a well-fitting modern suit looks nice, but not my idea of "sexy." "Sexy" to me is a nice fitted tee and jeans, worn "rockabilly" style. I'm not a fan of bowling shirts -- I find them unflattering. My husband owns some Hawaiian shirts and I think they are ok, but not my favourite. I like the checked shirts with the tee underneath more. I'm more interested in good hair than clothes. Here's an example of a look I would find "sexy":

Rockabilly-Guy.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very much so. My husband often dresses vintage (tie, shirt, and high wasted pants) for work. But I also like a man in well-fitting jeans and a nice button down shirt or even a polo. I also like the little bit of undershirt showing under a button down top with jeans. Thankfully, my husband likes and wears what I buy him (I think he's secretly relieved to not have to ever go shopping by himself ever again).

I think my husband wears vintage because I wear vintage-inspired a lot- and he doesn't like to go out together and have people say "what is she doing with him?!?" if he looks ratty. ;) I tell him that either people will think he's really rich or something else (not quite lounge appropriate.)

Of course, I think he's handsome in anything or nothing... :eek:

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I'd say it can be sexy. I prefer almost anyone in vintage clothing, but like anything it needs to be done well. So, should he look like Pa Kettle, not so sexy. Should he look like Cary Grant, then yes.

An ex of mine went vintage while with me, I think because I dressed what one could call dark vintage, and through more exposure to vintage he sort of realized his own love for vintage style. So he enbraced it, and went from looking like a rock star full of piercings and with long hair to chopping all his hair off and getting a Ricky Ricardo 'do, selling all his club/metal/death rock clothes and buying a whole new wardrobe via ebay, and went full 40s/50s vintage.

Not only did I find him more sexy, but his parents thanked me. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112