Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear a suit everyday?

Do you wear a suit everday?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't worn a suit in DECADES. I'm more a fedora-with-leather-jacket type.

I do have some nice blazers for the (very) rare occurrences when I need to dress up a little more.

Scottbrad94

New in Town
I wear a sports jacket almost everyday, I wear slacks everyday in varying degrees of formality depending upon what the day calls of me I only have one pair of jeans that I have worn twice in my three years of having that pair. As a young person I try and dress how someone my age would have dressed in every aspect from casual to formal in 30s England, so some days I'll wear boating blazers and white slacks, or neutral slacks with a sweater or cardigan and again probably a blazer of some kind. When in town on official business I like to be more dressy, so I'll likely to wear a suit then. When I'm at university I treat it as like going to school, so some days I'll wear a casual vintage suit, normally when it's cold and other casual vintage outfits. However some days I like to go all out.

Feraud

Bartender
I rarely wear suits anymore. My new job is casual and I am enjoying wearing denim on a regular basis.

Which reminds me... I've got way too many vintage ties and should sell them off.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I rarely wear suits anymore. My new job is casual and I am enjoying wearing denim on a regular basis.

Which reminds me... I've got way too many vintage ties and should sell them off.

During spring and summer, I pretty much always go jacketless with a crisp white shirt and a tie. I have seperate odd trousers for this.

You could sell me your vintage ties =P. However I only wear navy ties.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I haven't worn a suit in DECADES. I'm more a fedora-with-leather-jacket type.

I do have some nice blazers for the (very) rare occurrences when I need to dress up a little more.

Everyone has their own unique style, it would be boring it everyone wore the same charcoal/navy suit.

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I wear a sports jacket almost everyday, I wear slacks everyday in varying degrees of formality depending upon what the day calls of me I only have one pair of jeans that I have worn twice in my three years of having that pair. As a young person I try and dress how someone my age would have dressed in every aspect from casual to formal in 30s England, so some days I'll wear boating blazers and white slacks, or neutral slacks with a sweater or cardigan and again probably a blazer of some kind. When in town on official business I like to be more dressy, so I'll likely to wear a suit then. When I'm at university I treat it as like going to school, so some days I'll wear a casual vintage suit, normally when it's cold and other casual vintage outfits. However some days I like to go all out.

I prefer to dress as if I were a city gentleman from the 1940s.

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
Alas, I now live in the Torrid Zone, and all but one of my suits are better, well... suited for the Frozen North where I am originally from.

I can wear them in the "winter", and I do occasionally. I wear sport coats more often, but again, they are more suited for colder weather.

Also, I work in a more relaxed dress code environment, so jeans and a collared button-down shirt are my usual workwear.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Alas, I now live in the Torrid Zone, and all but one of my suits are better, well... suited for the Frozen North where I am originally from.

I can wear them in the "winter", and I do occasionally. I wear sport coats more often, but again, they are more suited for colder weather.

Also, I work in a more relaxed dress code environment, so jeans and a collared button-down shirt are my usual workwear.

Do you prefer to dress up or dress down to the casual work environment?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've only ever worn a suit a few times in all of my 50 years. Don't like the look. I prefer to wear clothes that don't need pressing, ironing or constant attention and look better when worn. Moleskin, corduroy, tweed, leather, denim. I think I own a tie but I can't think of reason to wear one. :D

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
neither of the voting options apply to me.

-if i wear a suit it's not always with a hat.

-if i wear vintage-casual rather than a suit, it's not because i want to 'conform...'

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
neither of the voting options apply to me.

-if i wear a suit it's not always with a hat.

-if i wear vintage-casual rather than a suit, it's not because i want to 'conform...'

You've pointed out an important distinction the poll options missed. Wearing vintage is not an all or nothing issue. People who like vintage clothing may dress up, or down but generally fall someplace in between.

I almost miss the days when it was much easier to dress; just got up and put on a suit. It made things much easier, in my life.

When I first started working, (late 70's) people (in the USA) still had a discernible level of pride, a sense of trying to look accomplished. Everyone wanted to feel upgraded, to the extent that they could. It was evident in airports, in the streets, even in the MOVIES. Now I can go shopping in my pajamas, if I choose.

Last edited:

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
Do you prefer to dress up or dress down to the casual work environment?

I find a happy medium... I do not generally wear suits, but I also do not wear shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops either.

I keep an old Brooks Bros Tweed sport coat at my desk for when the air conditioner enthusiasts crank down the temp to something more akin to my birthplace in April. :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Incredibly biased questions there. And really over simplify the reality of how people actually dressed in the '20s-'50s.

Feraud

Bartender
I almost miss the days when it was much easier to dress; just got up and put on a suit. It made things much easier, in my life.

When I first started working, (late 70's) people (in the USA) still had a discernible level of pride, a sense of trying to look accomplished. Everyone wanted to feel upgraded, to the extent that they could. It was evident in airports, in the streets, even in the MOVIES. Now I can go shopping in my pajamas, if I choose.

I think the issue is more complex than one of simply having "more pride". In the past, sportswear was not commonly worn like it is today. Options were limited. We're living in an era of great flexibility in dress. I for one appreciate that. If I want to wear a tie to work I can. If I choose to wear jeans and pair of work boots that is fine too.
While I lament people wearing pajamas on airplanes, I think it best to take the bad with the good.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I wear a suit 5 days a week, vintage-casual on the weekends. Sometimes hats, sometimes not. No dress code for my job, beyond the one I make for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points