Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor's Bags

Starius

Practically Family
Does anyone know of a good place to find new but vintage looking Doctor bags?

Here is one I really like:

95122029sv2.gif

The problem is, it retails for around $300. All of the doctor hand bags I've seen on online stores are rather expensive, actually. I suppose doctors can afford them, of course!

I'd really like one to carry around my computer repair tools in.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
i have a really good doctors-esque bag I got from Half-Com or something (cannot remember the name of the site). I have misplaced it, though. When I find it I'll photograph it for you. It's roomier than the (fine) one you show here.
A bowling ball bag can have a similar coolness if it is black and leather.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Seconding the eBay suggestion

I have seen quite a few doctor's bags in good & very usable condition go for next to nothing (my terminology for an acceptably clean, well constructed leather bag for under $50 ;))
AND a whole lot of really crappy falling apart in more places than just around the edges and good for nothing except as background for a scene in a no where near anything called Broadway play: they were listed as "vintage" (what is it about that word that makes some people think they can foist off irredeemable scrap for good money? :rage:)

The only ones I saw of interest were located the across the pond, as in convert-to-USD across the pond. That introduces more wait time in terms of normal shipping. Also, insurance "investigations" can take as much as twelve weeks before completion.
Whether from here or there,
Caveat emptor

Unsolicited advice: request more detailed close up pictures from the seller; when they respond (and some of them will), you will can also get more information and an honest assessment of the bag's condition or heritage; when they don't, just delete the bag from you Watch list, your hard drive, your mind, and your heart.
AND
no matter how PayPal and eBay may lull you to complacency, trust one who has gone through it, getting your money back is a very, very long, time-consuming, and tedious process​
AND
if you're lucky you still do not have a bag; if you're unlucky, you get to be disgusted with yourself for quite some time.​

BTW: before I understood and put into practice the above, I got a bag that needed repair & cleaning (I fell for the "amateur photographer/poor lighting" routine); the good news is I was able to repair the bag; the bad news, is I have some trepidation about cleaning it - that's the one that did not fall apart before it was used. On the other hand, having learned from that near disaster, the bags I have searched and/or purchased since have absolutely exceeded my expectations :D

Good luck with your search!

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
"Vintage"

Leading Edge said:
AND a whole lot of really crappy falling apart in more places than just around the edges and good for nothing except as background for a scene in a no where near anything called Broadway play: they were listed as "vintage" (what is it about that word that makes some people think they can foist off irredeemable scrap for good money? :rage:)

I don't know, but it's sometimes rather absurd. I went to an estate sale on Sat and asked for the price on a coat/hat rack. The woman wanted $30 dollars for it, which of course was a steal, because it was "vintage." Vintage, huh? So I went to look at it closer and it was a poorly varnished pine 2x2 with unmatching wall hooks screwed into it (hooks of the kind you'd find in the bathroom appliances section of Home Depot). Beat up, yes, but vintage? I don't think so.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WildCelt said:
I don't know, but it's sometimes rather absurd. I went to an estate sale on Sat and asked for the price on a coat/hat rack. The woman wanted $30 dollars for it, which of course was a steal, because it was "vintage." Vintage, huh? So I went to look at it closer and it was a poorly varnished pine 2x2 with unmatching wall hooks screwed into it (hooks of the kind you'd find in the bathroom appliances section of Home Depot). Beat up, yes, but vintage? I don't think so.

Maybe it's time for us to find another hobby that doesn't cost so much and hasn't caught on. I'll keep what I've got but I don't see spending so much money on anything anymore.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
Maybe it's time for us to find another hobby that doesn't cost so much and hasn't caught on. I'll keep what I've got but I don't see spending so much money on anything anymore.

Or, we can continue this process of learning from each other about what defines vintage and co-create the necessary criteria.

Imagine it: we could like a Vintage Police shining the spotlight of authority as a beacon for others seeking to embrace the quality, craftmanship, and style of true vintage articles.

Just a thought.
Okay, Vintage Police may be a bit strong. Think of it as a working title:p

ThinkandDrive

New in Town
Leading Edge said:
Or, we can continue this process of learning from each other about what defines vintage and co-create the necessary criteria.

Imagine it: we could like a Vintage Police shining the spotlight of authority as a beacon for others seeking to embrace the quality, craftmanship, and style of true vintage articles.

Just a thought.
Okay, Vintage Police may be a bit strong. Think of it as a working title:p

"Vintage Cops", eh? I imagine seven or eight Keystone Cops in their late 80's tottering around the street with walkers and canes bumping into each other. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21