Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
I've been told that the first American whiskey was Rye, and have consequently been eager to try it. Bottles are available, but all I'm really looking for is a single shot just to taste. This search has not been successful, so I'm asking the Loungers if it's possible to describe the taste of Rye whiskey?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I love Rye. I've tried various brands, and keep coming back to Rittenhouse. I usually drink it on the rocks, but love in a Manhattan, Old-Fashioned, or a Highball. Rittenhouse has grassy notes, brown sugar, and a slight fruity taste.

I don't care for Old Overholt, as it tastes far too much like bananas.

Man, now I'm thirsty, and I drank the last of my last bottle yesterday, so now I need to run to the store.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just thought I'd add:

One Rye I would love to try is distilled at George Washington's Mount Vernon from an original recipe. That would be the closest thing to the first American whiskey, but I don't think it's sold anywhere outside of their gift shop. Anyone in Virginia want to mail some to Utah?lol

Brad

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
One Rye I would love to try is distilled at George Washington's Mount Vernon from an original recipe. That would be the closest thing to the first American whiskey, but I don't think it's sold anywhere outside of their gift shop. Anyone in Virginia want to mail some to Utah?lol

Brad, there's a lot of interesting info about the rye distilled at Mount Vernon: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7280

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
OH! I have a drink guide from the 1930s called "The Barman's Mentor". I will try to remember to fish out a bunch of rye recipes to post here.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Good luck Gary

Gary, I like you wanted to try some Rye and looked unsuccessfully for shooter bottles. To date I have yet to try any, as I am not willing to purchase a $30 bottle only to find out that I do not like it. I will stick with my Gentleman Jack.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Bud-n-Texas said:
Gary, I like you wanted to try some Rye and looked unsuccessfully for shooter bottles. To date I have yet to try any, as I am not willing to purchase a $30 bottle only to find out that I do not like it. I will stick with my Gentleman Jack.

And you guys can't find any bars near you that stock rye? Granted, I live in a big city, but it seems that rye is starting to make a real comeback and I'm seeing it more and more at Boston's local cocktail joints.

Also, if you don't like it, you can always use up the rest of it making cocktails like Manhattans that are likely to partially mask the flavour.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jack of Diamonds, Jack of Diamonds, I know you of old
You have robbed my poor pockets of silver and gold
Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, I wish you no harm
But I wish I had a bottle as long as my arm
I wish I had a bottle as long as my arm
- Trad. American

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Kitty, I guess they might, but I quit going to bars years ago. I moved away from the big cities and now enjoy a more relaxed life in a smaller town. Watching a sunset with my wife is more enjoyable now that a loud crowded bar. Kind of funny since that is where we met. Age tends to change what one finds enjoyable it seems.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Bud-n-Texas said:
Kitty, I guess they might, but I quit going to bars years ago. I moved away from the big cities and now enjoy a more relaxed life in a smaller town. Watching a sunset with my wife is more enjoyable now that a loud crowded bar. Kind of funny since that is where we met. Age tends to change what one finds enjoyable it seems.

Of course I can understand that! You just might want to consider your local bar, though, if you're looking for a taste of rye without buying a whole bottle. It's not going to be available in nip size, and you never know what kind of traditional liquors they might have at the small town bar :)

I know I have seen bottles of it for under $20 at my local liquor store. Both Jim Beam Rye and Wild Turkey Rye can be had without spending too much.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The six year old Sazerac Rye is very nice. You can find it for about $28.00

szrac.jpg

A classic Sazerac cocktail is a great drink.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I get the Rittenhouse 100 proof Bottled in Bond for $12.95, and it tastes better than some of the more expensive ones. Of course, there's always Old Potrero, somehwere around $100 a bottle, I think! I had the opportunity to try it several years ago when one of my professors brought it to a Rye-tasting party. Quite the kick, that one. I can't imagine what a shot of that would cost at a bar.

Brad

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I am new to rye whiskey, but really enjoy it. The only rye that I have been able to find so far in my area is Jim Beam. I find it much smoother than bourbon and easier to sip straight.

Although not a whiskey, I'd also recommend Laird's Apple Jack. Again, very smooth but packs a wallop! Hence the nickname "Jersey Lightning." ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In my experience, rye is sort of the "generic" whisky. It doesn't have as strong (sweet) a flavor as most Bourbons or sour mash whiskies, and certainly not as strong as Scotch. Some of the real two fisted steady drinkers I've known simply take a high ball glass, put in three or fingers of rye, just one or two ice cubes, to keep it moderately cool, and fill it with water. It will give you an easy drinking drink, very dry, that you can continuously sip for hours, days or years on end.
Isn't Seagram's 7 a rye? If you want to know how it tastes, DON"T try the typical teenager drink of 7 and 7 (Seagram's and 7 Up) it will make you sick before it makes you drunk.
Another similar whisky is Canadian whisky. Canadian Club is one, but not the only, brand.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Don't confuse Canadian ryes with American. By federal law, to be called a rye here, they must be made with no less than 51% rye, and most Canadian whiskies aren't.

I think true rye has more flavor than bourbon, and is pretty distinctive. You wouldn't mistake it for anything else.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I will get my opportunity to finally taste Sazerac later this afternoon. Seems the state liquor authorities have discontinued carrying my beloved Rittenhouse in the stores, and our local store is out of it altogether. However, now they have deigned to carry Sazerac, and one other brand, which the lady who does the ordering couldn't remember the name (and was out of stock, anyway). My wife is picking up a bottle on her way home from work. Her co-worker lives in Idaho, and will check the liquor stores there to see if they carry Rittenhouse.

So, I am deeply disappointed, but eager to try something new at the same time.

I can't wait when we move back to Colorado later this year and have access to real liquor stores.lol

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points