Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Does Anyone Think Bezos Cowboy Hat Will Catch On?

BryanB

One of the Regulars
They say JFK killed the hat. Though I think cars did. Either way I thought it would be nice if the world's richest guy wearing a cowboy hat to space might catch on, even if it is ridiculous to wear a cowboy hat in space.

I wear Akubra county hats and Safari hats, but not cowboy hats since in my opinion it's saying you're a cowboy, or saw one too many westerns. That said I've been watching this YouTube channel cheapRVliving, where hobos live in vans and buses out west. Almost every van tour shows they have a small collection of something like cowboy hats. Well I do remember living briefly in Phoenix, and the sun there is even hotter than Israel.

mullitt

New in Town
It's one of the worst looking hats I've ever seen. Not just the hat, but the way it sat down on his eyebrows. He looked ridiculous.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Not if WaPo has anything to say about it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/07/20/jeff-bezos-space-cowboy-hat/

It was a true classic, including a hatband-hugged crown with both a top crease and the side pinches, a brim that curled sky(space)ward and the traditional front dip. It may have even included a buckle set. But rather than invite comparisons to John Wayne, it became the laughingstock of the Internet.

As reporter Ben Walsh put it, “Big lesson today for middle-aged men wondering, ‘can I pull off a cowboy hat?’ ”

(Repeat after me: Bezos is the owner of The Washington Post.)

Look: In fairness, one of the Internet’s guiding principles — at least on social media — is that if you can dunk on someone, you are obligated to dunk on said someone. So, rather than discuss the fact that a dude started an online bookstore and ended up in space, everyone discussed the hat.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, it didn't look like he wore a hat every day like I do. He didn't look comfortable in it. I wouldn't have worn a cowboy hat in space. I started wearing them because I went to a baseball game and toasted the back of my ears... On the other hand, the WaPo and others seem to be set on being jerks. The guy has the $ to go to outer space on HIS DIME, great for him.
Later

BryanB

One of the Regulars
Well, it didn't look like he wore a hat every day like I do. He didn't look comfortable in it. I wouldn't have worn a cowboy hat in space. I started wearing them because I went to a baseball game and toasted the back of my ears... On the other hand, the WaPo and others seem to be set on being jerks. The guy has the $ to go to outer space on HIS DIME, great for him.
Later
He owns the wapos, u probably know, but not surprisingly they only offer gushing praise of bezos, and he's constantly getting awards from wapos

johnnycanuck

Call Me a Cab
I can’t see anything wrong here. First if all almost all early space films from Battle beyond the stars to spaceballs had a space cowboy in them. Second of all the hat looks fine to me. Surprised the crown looked so low on his head. Third most working cowboys I know who actually wear cowboy hats always snug then down the the ears and eyebrows. Now someone as stupid rich as him choosing to wear one on such a potentially historical day is a little sus. But who am I to judge. I wear pith helmets after all. Johnny

BryanB

One of the Regulars
I can’t see anything wrong here. First if all almost all early space films from Battle beyond the stars to spaceballs had a space cowboy in them. Second of all the hat looks fine to me. Surprised the crown looked so low on his head. Third most working cowboys I know who actually wear cowboy hats always snug then down the the ears and eyebrows. Now someone as stupid rich as him choosing to wear one on such a potentially historical day is a little sus. But who am I to judge. I wear pith helmets after all. Johnny
Lol pith helmets. Used to go on mastodon digs in Bryon new York, and a guy there always wore one. Back then I went with an El cheapo straw cowboy

Some folks wear them back on their heads so their face is more exposed. Some folks wear them pulled down low. Some folks wear them as a prop or as part of a costume. Some folks wear them just because they like hats. Some folks wear them for purely practical reasons. It goes on and on and in my opinion there isn’t a wrong way or reason or style. When I wear a western I’m definitely part of the “all hat, no cattle” group, but so what?

I don’t think that Bezos is a fashion setter and I personally didn’t like his hat all that much, but it’s his hat and his head so good on him.

Edward

Bartender
I'm calling cosplay: anyone remember that old film Space Cowboys ?

spacecowboys.jpg

Tommy Lee Jones. Right down to the blue jumpsuit. Did TLJ wear the boots too? I don't recall.

I have no real time for Bezos, save to say that playing dress-up is an oddly superficial thing to critique him over in the broader context of the billionaire space race. To be fair to him, at least he's a touch less of a shameless attention-seeker than Branson (the one who likes to think he did space first because he has a plane that flies a bit higher than usual). Whatever, I can't imagine this will affect hat-wearing more broadly one way or the other. David Beckham or one of the big Olympic winner, maybe, but I don't think the world much cares or is directly influenced by Bezos' own fashion choices. A few years ago, the equivalent oddball public rich-man was probably Steve Jobs. I don't recall the market for black polonecks suddenly exploding then either.

I'm calling cosplay: anyone remember that old film Space Cowboys ?

spacecowboys.jpg

Tommy Lee Jones. Right down to the blue jumpsuit. Did TLJ wear the boots too? I don't recall.
I don't recall them making a point of showing what Jones wore on his feet in any scenes from the movie. I'm pretty sure he wore boots when dressed as a civilian, and whatever was required when he was in uniform/on duty.

Edward

Bartender
I don't recall them making a point of showing what Jones wore on his feet in any scenes from the movie. I'm pretty sure he wore boots when dressed as a civilian, and whatever was required when he was in uniform/on duty.

In truth, I'm not honestly sure if I've even seen the film, but I have a fair level of awareness of it as it had a big publicity blitz here at the time, given its blockbuster status. Funny how advertising can stick in the mind even if you don't ultimately consume the product!

In truth, I'm not honestly sure if I've even seen the film, but I have a fair level of awareness of it as it had a big publicity blitz here at the time, given its blockbuster status. Funny how advertising can stick in the mind even if you don't ultimately consume the product!
Not a movie to be taken seriously; it's just fun to watch Eastwood, Jones, Sutherland, Garner, and Cromwell play off of each other, and play off of the actors playing the younger astronauts.

Advertising? You bet. I still remember advertising jingles from the 1960s for products I've never used. :D

Edward

Bartender
Not a movie to be taken seriously; it's just fun to watch Eastwood, Jones, Sutherland, Garner, and Cromwell play off of each other, and play off of the actors playing the younger astronauts.

Advertising? You bet. I still remember advertising jingles from the 1960s for products I've never used. :D

In the UK in the early 90s, a men's aftershave / showergel / shaving foam / w.h.y. collection with all the same scent was marketed under the Insignia brand, using a rewritten version of the Stones' "All over now". I've not seen that ad in thirty years, but I still remember it better than the original lyrics!

Horn Draoi

New in Town
Tommy Lee Jones does wear boots and a worn cowboy hat on a daily basis: I live about 30 miles from his ranch and run across him on a regular basis. I wouldn’t recommend you stride up to him and ask for an autograph………………

I like Bezos’s hat; a symbol of “Yee-hah” and etc. I have 3 hats with a “Gus” crease myself, but wore the crease even before the book, let alone the miniseries; my favorite crease.