Does Anyone Think Bezos Cowboy Hat Will Catch On?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by BryanB, Jul 23, 2021.

1. BryanB

BryanB One of the Regulars

They say JFK killed the hat. Though I think cars did. Either way I thought it would be nice if the world's richest guy wearing a cowboy hat to space might catch on, even if it is ridiculous to wear a cowboy hat in space.

I wear Akubra county hats and Safari hats, but not cowboy hats since in my opinion it's saying you're a cowboy, or saw one too many westerns. That said I've been watching this YouTube channel cheapRVliving, where hobos live in vans and buses out west. Almost every van tour shows they have a small collection of something like cowboy hats. Well I do remember living briefly in Phoenix, and the sun there is even hotter than Israel.

2. mullitt

mullitt New in Town

It's one of the worst looking hats I've ever seen. Not just the hat, but the way it sat down on his eyebrows. He looked ridiculous.

BryanB likes this.
  3. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Not if WaPo has anything to say about it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/07/20/jeff-bezos-space-cowboy-hat/

BryanB, Tukwila and Rmccamey like this.
  4. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well, it didn't look like he wore a hat every day like I do. He didn't look comfortable in it. I wouldn't have worn a cowboy hat in space. I started wearing them because I went to a baseball game and toasted the back of my ears... On the other hand, the WaPo and others seem to be set on being jerks. The guy has the $ to go to outer space on HIS DIME, great for him.
    Later

5. 202Caleb

202Caleb New in Town

It's a standard Gus. I doubt it will do anything for the hat universe.

Blackthorn, BryanB and Rmccamey like this.
  6. BryanB

He owns the wapos, u probably know, but not surprisingly they only offer gushing praise of bezos, and he's constantly getting awards from wapos

7. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

I can’t see anything wrong here. First if all almost all early space films from Battle beyond the stars to spaceballs had a space cowboy in them. Second of all the hat looks fine to me. Surprised the crown looked so low on his head. Third most working cowboys I know who actually wear cowboy hats always snug then down the the ears and eyebrows. Now someone as stupid rich as him choosing to wear one on such a potentially historical day is a little sus. But who am I to judge. I wear pith helmets after all. Johnny

8. BryanB

Lol pith helmets. Used to go on mastodon digs in Bryon new York, and a guy there always wore one. Back then I went with an El cheapo straw cowboy

Just Daniel and johnnycanuck like this.
  9. Some folks wear them back on their heads so their face is more exposed. Some folks wear them pulled down low. Some folks wear them as a prop or as part of a costume. Some folks wear them just because they like hats. Some folks wear them for purely practical reasons. It goes on and on and in my opinion there isn’t a wrong way or reason or style. When I wear a western I’m definitely part of the “all hat, no cattle” group, but so what?

I don’t think that Bezos is a fashion setter and I personally didn’t like his hat all that much, but it’s his hat and his head so good on him.

quikrick and johnnycanuck like this.
  10. If he had any brains he would have worn a propeller beanie.

1961MJS, Boomerang and Edward like this.
  11. RBH

RBH Bartender

Blackthorn likes this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm calling cosplay: anyone remember that old film Space Cowboys ?

[​IMG]

Tommy Lee Jones. Right down to the blue jumpsuit. Did TLJ wear the boots too? I don't recall.

I have no real time for Bezos, save to say that playing dress-up is an oddly superficial thing to critique him over in the broader context of the billionaire space race. To be fair to him, at least he's a touch less of a shameless attention-seeker than Branson (the one who likes to think he did space first because he has a plane that flies a bit higher than usual). Whatever, I can't imagine this will affect hat-wearing more broadly one way or the other. David Beckham or one of the big Olympic winner, maybe, but I don't think the world much cares or is directly influenced by Bezos' own fashion choices. A few years ago, the equivalent oddball public rich-man was probably Steve Jobs. I don't recall the market for black polonecks suddenly exploding then either.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  13. I don't recall them making a point of showing what Jones wore on his feet in any scenes from the movie. I'm pretty sure he wore boots when dressed as a civilian, and whatever was required when he was in uniform/on duty.

Edward likes this.
  14. Edward

Edward Bartender

In truth, I'm not honestly sure if I've even seen the film, but I have a fair level of awareness of it as it had a big publicity blitz here at the time, given its blockbuster status. Funny how advertising can stick in the mind even if you don't ultimately consume the product!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. Not a movie to be taken seriously; it's just fun to watch Eastwood, Jones, Sutherland, Garner, and Cromwell play off of each other, and play off of the actors playing the younger astronauts.

Advertising? You bet. I still remember advertising jingles from the 1960s for products I've never used. :D

Blackthorn and Edward like this.
  16. Edward

Edward Bartender

In the UK in the early 90s, a men's aftershave / showergel / shaving foam / w.h.y. collection with all the same scent was marketed under the Insignia brand, using a rewritten version of the Stones' "All over now". I've not seen that ad in thirty years, but I still remember it better than the original lyrics!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

deadlyhandsome and BobHufford like this.
  18. ^ Too funny Fruno! I drive my wife crazy by singing that jingle regularly. :D

Frunobulax and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. Horn Draoi

Horn Draoi New in Town

Tommy Lee Jones does wear boots and a worn cowboy hat on a daily basis: I live about 30 miles from his ranch and run across him on a regular basis. I wouldn’t recommend you stride up to him and ask for an autograph………………

I like Bezos’s hat; a symbol of “Yee-hah” and etc. I have 3 hats with a “Gus” crease myself, but wore the crease even before the book, let alone the miniseries; my favorite crease.

20. Just Daniel

Just Daniel One Too Many

Some people call me a space cowboy…

Edward and quikrick like this.