Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does my new trench coat fit me?

demath

New in Town
Good afternoon to all; very excited to be part of this style forum. Let my first post begin with my question (or, better, poll). I bought a new trench coat (I really walked all Athens up and down to find a traditional trench), size EU 50. I normally wear coats as big as EU 46 (I'm a bit slender guy, 62 kg weight, 179 cm height), but I couldn't resist to this coat; I bought it and had a tailor move the right buttons a bit to the right so it fits me better. But, after a month or so of buying it I fell into doubts about whether it fits me or not. I've never owned a trench coat before (I'm 19 by the way), and the salesman said it is the coat's nature of being a bit loose-fitting. Anyway, I've posted some pictures and I would like your opinion. a) Does it fit me well? Are shoulders OK (bear in mind, it features Raglan sleeves) b) Is it good around the waist or is it "baggy" c) When it is unbuttoned, does it look good? d) Is the collar (or the lapels) too big? e) Is it better to have it buckled or tied?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

View media item 715View media item 714View media item 713View media item 712

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Welcome,

I would say yours is a more traditional slightly oversized fit. The shoulders are a little bit big, but saying that you are only wearing a shirt and jumper.
If you ever need to wear a suit it might be a good thing to have some room. My trench coat is a little bit more fitted, but i can't wear it with a suit.

If you look at old 30s and 40s pictures, they wore the trench far larger than yours. Now they tend to be more fitted, i think yours is somewhat in the middle.

Personally i would get the sleeves shortened, it might make the coat look more fitted.
To me sleeves that reach the middle of the hand always make it look like you borrowed your big brother's coat.
Apart from that, yes, it does look good.

Lastly, be careful calling this place a "style forum", you might offend some...

demath

New in Town
Welcome,

I would say yours is a more traditional slightly oversized fit. The shoulders are a little bit big, but saying that you are only wearing a shirt and jumper.
If you ever need to wear a suit it might be a good thing to have some room. My trench coat is a little bit more fitted, but i can't wear it with a suit.

If you look at old 30s and 40s pictures, they wore the trench far larger than yours. Now they tend to be more fitted, i think yours is somewhat in the middle.

Personally i would get the sleeves shortened, it might make the coat look more fitted.
To me sleeves that reach the middle of the hand always make it look like you borrowed your big brother's coat.
Apart from that, yes, it does look good.

Lastly, be careful calling this place a "style forum", you might offend some...

Hi and thanks for your answer and advice! One more thing I'd like to ask is, do you think the series of buttons is somewhat lower than usual?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
You haven’t put up a full length picture but I should think it’s quite long judging by the ones you have. It depends whether you want a modern very fitted style or a more traditional one. I’ve always had a trench coat around and the one I have now I’ve had for twenty years and it fits a bit like yours, but perhaps not quite as low. I like to wear a short leather jacket under it in cold rainy weather, and the coat keeps out the rain while the hide keeps the wind out. So It has to have room for that as well as being worn sometimes in the summer on colder wet days just over a shirt. If the belt is pulled in tight it looks fine like that too as would yours.

I think it looks okay as it is as a classic style, and who wants to look like some of the spider men walking around with suits looking like they fell into a river and they shrank on them?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fit is fine and you'll be grateful for the length when the weather blows cold. The buttons are placed a bit low, but that's just a fashion cycle thing and nothing to fret about (I suggest leaving the bottom button un-done except when you need the extra protection)... wear the coat.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with whats been said already. Its a slightly loose fit but will be just about right if you need to layer either suit/sports-coat or thick sweater underneath it. Having said that, it doesn't look "too big" worn as is, just not as tight as the current slim fit trend.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Are you not sure it's meant for someone taller/bigger? I would normally expect two sets of buttons above the belt - that may be down to how you're belting it though.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Are you not sure it's meant for someone taller/bigger? I would normally expect two sets of buttons above the belt - that may be down to how you're belting it though.

It is a bit on the big/long side and he knows the buttons are a bit low. But he isn’t very old and the responders including me were trying not to put him off up the thread. It doesn’t look daft anyway and he can get away with it as a classic fit.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It is a bit on the big/long side and he knows the buttons are a bit low. But he isn’t very old and the responders including me were trying not to put him off up the thread. It doesn’t look daft anyway and he can get away with it as a classic fit.

I'd sooner give an honest opinion, that's what we do here isn't it? It doesn't look awful, but I would definitely look at the belt level.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I agree, the OP came on here looking for honest opinions, not flattery.

Tact and flattery are not the same thing. I don’t think we need to spell things out, and most of the responders here tactfully pointed out that it was a bit on the big side. He can take that or leave it. He doesn’t need to be bashed over the head with our opinions.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It probably looks bigger because it's such a light colour. I personally don't wear the belt as it is pretty useless but I do understand that its part of the look.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The challenge is that the coat fits well in the shoulder and upper body, and the sleeves are the right length, but if in fact it comes to just above the ankles then it's too long. Mid-calf is the max length for any long coat (men's coats... women's coats can brush the ankles no probs).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It probably looks bigger because it's such a light colour. I personally don't wear the belt as it is pretty useless but I do understand that its part of the look.

I tend to wear tie a belt at the back to give it a nipped-in look without the palaver of tying the damn thing every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto