Does shearling itch?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by JohnS33931, Feb 2, 2021.

1. JohnS33931

JohnS33931 Familiar Face

Ok - I see - thanks for showing me!

2. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Have owned three shearling jackets, all of vary shearling depth, and it not one of them itched.

JohnS33931 and MrProper like this.
  3. Shearling ( sheep's wool ) has a lanolin base which keeps it soft so no itching.

Peacoat and JohnS33931 like this.
  4. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Can’t wear wool on my head..which means no authentic watch caps for me (too itchy). Never had any problem with shearling jackets though including the collar region.

JohnS33931 likes this.
  5. Twit

Twit One of the Regulars

None of my shearling jackets or jackets with a mouton itch. Alpaca mind you, that’s another discussion! I can’t get within 5 yards of the stuff without itching!!

I find shearling an odd lining. It can certainly make me feel over hot until it gets really cold and then I can find it too cold! I only have one shearling jacket left - an ANJ 4 - its a thing of beauty but I don’t wear it that often. I prefer other jackets day to day and then when it gets really cold I will 9 times out of 10 opt for my big north face parka... Probably just me! :)

6. deepestbluest

deepestbluest Familiar Face

isn't mouton typically synthetic? Can that itch? I always wondered about those collars...

JohnS33931 likes this.
  7. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I have a shearling jacket, and it doesn't itch me. But then I'm not allergic to wool or Alpaca, either.

JohnS33931 likes this.
  8. JohnS33931

JohnS33931 Familiar Face

I did read dyed sheepskin on Aero’s website

9. Edward

Edward Bartender

Mouton is sheepskin, electrically treated in some way to make it resemble 'fur' (as in mink, beaver and such) moreso than shearling. Mouton was the original spec for the collar of USN leathers from the 30s onwards, also the USAAF B10 & B15 through B15....B, if memory serves. Later G1s (post 68, I think) and B15 designations replaced real mouton with a petroleum-based faux-fur. This is what you'll also find on some of the cheaper repros, as it's a way of keeping the price down. Synthetics and real mouton I find much of a muchness in terms of warmth when wearing.

bn1966, deepestbluest and JohnS33931 like this.
  10. deepestbluest

deepestbluest Familiar Face

This forum never ceases to amaze me with the wealth of information you're able to access with the members!

Edward and JohnS33931 like this.
  11. Vaquero357

Vaquero357 New in Town

...have an Aero Outlaw Black Shearling Vest in production as I type and as I was pretty sure this wasn't going to be itchy Im happy to have it confirmed being that its my first Shearling piece. Thank you!

bn1966, Edward, MrProper and 2 others like this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Oh, I know - I learned almost everything I know (including the above!) about vintage either here or from links I discovered after reading about something here!

Look forward to seeing photos of that one. I'd love one of those myself eventually, they look great.

JohnS33931 and bn1966 like this.