Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your lipstick have to match your nail color?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Can't remember where it was, but someone posted an advert on here, I think it was for Revlon, even, and the lady was wearing red lippie with beautiful warm pink nails. I'm dying to find that nail color, I never have time to change my nail polish!

SheBear74

Practically Family
Thanks ladies! I kept thinking they had to match lol I do remember reading through that thread about the green and blue polish so that makes sense.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
bettyhuttontropicalpink.jpg

lana_emeralddress.jpg

hat2.jpg
here are pictures that Cherry Lips posted where lips and tips don't match!

I don't match my toenails to my fingernails either, actually.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I paint my toenails medium pink, wear dark pink lip gloss, and wear nothing on my nails. So, nothing matches. Haven't gotten any funny looks so far.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I seem to remember that the matching lips and nails trend was really biggest in the 1950's, and even then it wasn't a rule. I think that it was really big at about the same time that the trend of matching shoes and bags reached it's zenith. Matchy-matchy isn't big in fashion today. Do what you like.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I was told off by an 80 year old man the other day for not having a handbag which matched with my shoes! Ahem, getting vintage shoes to fit my massive feet is hard enough, without having to search for a matching handbag..!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
These days I'm lucky if my shoes match, let alone my shoes and bag.

As for lips and nails, there was a fad around 1938-40 for dark reds on lips complemented by lilacy purply mauves on nails, so matching is definitely not required. Right now I'm wearing projector oil on my nails, and there's no lipstick that matches that color.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've seen them unmatched in colorized vintage photos and the toes looked lighter than the lips so that's the way I've been doing it. I can match colors in clothes, accessories and sometimes I can match my lips to the outfit or accessories but I can't match footwear to accessories like bags so I just keep that all black but the closest I can come in nail color is gunmetal grey but I don't want to wear gunmetal grey lipstick to match the nails.

I really like the idea of matching green or blue nails to an outfit or accessories especially on days where I appear more vintage than just retro "cool" (I'm a nerd, I'm never cool, don't ever accuse me of looking cool!) but I think my olive complexion would look sallow with blue or green lips. Not very vintage either but I like things to be OTT rediculous as I've hinted at in the frumpy thread and else where.:)

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I definitely don't match my lips to my fingernails, though sometimes to my toe nails! I like the mismatched look and it's appropriate with the vintage aesthetic. Of course I love half moon manicures, and wish I could do my own (hands aren't steady enough for that!).

X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
hat2.jpg
here are pictures that Cherry Lips posted where lips and tips don't match!

I love, love, love, love her nail polish! Does anyone know of current/on the market colours that are similar?

The closest I've seen is Revlon's 'Iced Mauve' - only I wish it wasn't 'iced' and it's more, well mauve than pink as the photo above.

200.jpg

Perhaps these colours?
429B-essie-nail-polish-fondola-gondola.jpg

zoya_polish_kate_310.jpg

X
BD

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I don't think matching your lipstick to your nails would be very practical.
If you were someone who wears different lipstick colours every day then constantly using nail varnish remover (some types) can be damaging to your nails.

Also, I've painted my nails blue and I definitely wouldn't wear blue lipstick!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Warm pink looks good on my nails but not especially nice as lipstick against my complexion, not enough contrast and yet not as natural as gloss if I want to be nude-ish. Red lips and warm pink nails work.

Also I love French nails best and that natural-esque pink-and-white works just fine with a strong red lip.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
retromama said:
Black Dahlia--it reminds me a bit of Essie's Heavenly Sunset. A very nice warm mauvey pink shade with minimal shimmer. Found it at my local beauty store, ULTA. I wear it a lot. It is here if you want to check it out! http://www.amazon.com/Essie-Heavenly-Sunset-542/dp/B000SIOJPQ

Thank you retromama, it looks similar to the Essie polish I posted, but I'm not sure. I'll definitely be on the look out for it. Thanks for posting! :0

X
BD

BoPeep

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Right now I'm wearing projector oil on my nails, and there's no lipstick that matches that color.

lol You're so gosh darn down-to-earth, Lizzie! You crack me up. I usually have a French manicure compliments of my vegetable garden.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
My mom sold Avon for years and years and I remember the catalogues always had matching lipstick and nail polish choices. I haven't seen a catalogue in ages, I wonder if they still do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider