Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog help?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
memphislawyer said:
11 weeks old, and I had picked out

Winston (for Churchill)
William
Byron, or Lord Byron
Barkley
Marley (wife likes, as well as Riley)
Trevor (since daughter spent 6 weeks in summer in Rome and loved the Trevi fountain)
Maxwell
Daughter likes Atticus, since I am an attorney and she is in law school.

Let his personality develop for a few days and you'll magically find the right name to suit him. And welcome to your new four-legged family member!

SayCiCi said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley
How about a mixed-breed dog from the shelter?

Seconding. All dogs need love.

:eek:fftopic: 2 paws up on that, CiCi. Our dog came via a stray in a shelter then fostered by a rescue, and our cat came via a box dropped at the shelter. I'm baffled at how people can so easily dispose of such loving animals.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Our current dog is a rescue dog as well. Very loving, very smart, very cute. And only obeys when she feels like it.

At christmas last year:
Christmaspics008.jpg

She was about 4-5 months old when we got her, and she's been absolutely wonderful (Well, most of the time. We have stories, ie, deadbolting us out of a rental condo...) We got her from the animal rescue and foster program, don't know how widespread they are, but you go and they have a bunch of dogs who you go out and meet.

We also recently took in another dog that followed our neighbor home, chihuahuaish, and he was a great dog as well. He's now living with our aunt and uncle.

There's really too much emphasis on breed these days. Go to the shelter or a rescue program and let the dog find you. You'll know. The only faults of Carson are that she poops on the concrete underneath the screen porch when it rains instead of in the grass and steals my place on the couch.

All that said, your new puppy looks very cute, and I wish you the best of luck with him.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well you can have a breed and a rescue; tons of purebreds are in rescues/shelters. That's how my family keeps getting Akitas.

It lets you know the stuff about size/grooming and the KIND of bad behaviors you're likely to get - every breed has some but not all the same - and you get to rescue a dog.

I like breeds not for the snob-value but because, say, Jack Russells would be so sad living with me, and vice versa! Its not about cost or disliking mutts I would just feel bad for the scrappy active digging yappy terrier that had to dwell with a cranky lazy person like me. Whereas a dog that's faults are laziness and not-listening I can deal with with a smile on. lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A dog's individual personality is a big factor. My Australian shepherd mix likes to go to the dog park and run on the treadmill, but she's content to lie around indoors and stay out of the sun most of the time. She got on the treadmill while I was on it this morning--I should have called her Funny Girl.

My chow mix always puttered around the yard and sometimes caught mice.

Feraud

Bartender
Pugs are wonderful and get very attached to their owners.
Who did you leave him with?

Darhling said:
Pugs are absolutely the best dogs ever..

here is Cherry Lips giving my pug a squeeze (sadly he couldn't move with me to London).

DSC_0066-1.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
memphislawyer said:
11 weeks old, and I had picked out

Winston (for Churchill)
William
Byron, or Lord Byron
Barkley
Marley (wife likes, as well as Riley)
Trevor (since daughter spent 6 weeks in summer in Rome and loved the Trevi fountain)
Maxwell
Daughter likes Atticus, since I am an attorney and she is in law school.

og3.jpg

Congrats with you new dog.

No doubt in my mind. He's "Charlie"

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Formal name, William Lord Bentley.

We call him Bentley. Slept with me last night as he would howl incessantly in the crate. Slept all night with his neck resting on mine.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
memphislawyer said:
Formal name, William Lord Bentley.

We call him Bentley. Slept with me last night as he would howl incessantly in the crate. Slept all night with his neck resting on mine.

He's adorable! Congrats on Bentley!
You know, for as "into" dogs as I am, I am a completel failure at crate training. Don't blame you a bit for taking him to bed when he cried. I've done the same.

Okay, so you got the tri...next year, blenheim it is! ;)

memphislawyer

Practically Family
23, I am a fan of yours. I can not crate train. We left him in the crate when daughter ran to school and she will be back in 4 hours, but I have no idea if the other dogs went up and pawed at the cage or if he is whimpering or what. I had wanted them to carry the crate into a bathroom and close the door so the other dogs could not get to him. When we had a lineoleum floor, we could close off a bathroom and then the laundry room with a gate and if pee was spilled, easy to clean up. Now that we have Pergo, you can not let any sort of liquid just lay there, so that is the last place. We may have to see how the crate did today and try it tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points