Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

don't manufacturers make ladies' fur felt hats anymore

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't manufacturers make ladies' fur felt hats anymore in something akin to fedora style? I haven't checked the retail websites for them, but I seldom if ever see them posted here. Men wearing fur felt fedoras would be encouraged by women wearing their counterpart fur felts, it seems to me. I do see posted vintage women's fur felt hats, but perhaps there is not a modern counterpart. If so, I would like to see it. Otherwise this is all about men's hats, and women once in a blue moon weighing in as to whether they like them or not. Or, maybe the customer base isn't there--maybe women wouldn't buy modern-styled fur felt dress hats even if they were offered for sale. Somebody has to know more about this than I do.

There is no shortage of nice-looking women's wool dress hats. I'm wondering where the fur felts are.

Last edited:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I haven't bumped into fedoras, specifically. But I have seen fur felt derbies and westerns. They may start popping up soon, though. The canvas and straw fedora styles are becoming quite popular with young women up here in the NE, and on the west coast. Perhaps it will lead in the right direction.

In the meantime, if your handy with a needle, you could spin the ribbon on a man's fedora to the opposite side.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't bumped into fedoras, specifically. But I have seen fur felt derbies and westerns. They may start popping up soon, though. The canvas and straw fedora styles are becoming quite popular with young women up here in the NE, and on the west coast. Perhaps it will lead in the right direction.

In the meantime, if your handy with a needle, you could spin the ribbon on a man's fedora to the opposite side.

I guess that's true. But from what I have seen--not everything for sure, but what I've seen--is that young women wear unisex type cloth hats. Occasionally they wear a man's fedora. and baseball caps with women are everywhere. So I'm interested to see if women-specific fur felt hats pop up, or not. It would require new styles. Maybe the hatters could use the designs they use for wool hats, and go in that direction. Anyway, I find it odd that men can get into fur felt, but women avoid such hats completely.

I know Borsalino and Mayser (usually bow on right) make women Fedora style hats. Also there are unisex trendy Fedora style hats all over the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana