Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Leather Jackets

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I'd like some opinions on double breasted leather jackets. What about them? Anything really. How they look. How easy or difficult to wear. Wearing them open. Who looks good in them and who looks bad. Anything else that you might think of.

Personally, I am a short guy and have been contemplating the Schott 650 for well over a year. I wonder first, about wearing it open if the mood strikes me and second, about someone my height wearing one.

You mean the longer, button up styles? I always thought they look really cool, albeit there's a certain militaryvibe to 'em.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have an old double-breasted leather jacket, it's a belted thing from Reiss (when their stuff was good). I stopped wearing it some years ago, just because I'd owned it for so long that I got bored with it and the jacket looked a bit tired. I tended to tie the belt at the back and wore it like a pea coat. It was, if anything, too heavy for its own good - without the belt, the shoulder seams strained but never broke. I did love it, though, and I wore the jacket for a good 15 years through uni and work, but I wouldn't have another because, with hindsight, I was the wrong shape for it. To me, double-breasted leather jackets are for bigger guys, both width and height. I'm 5'9" and slim, so it was a bit like wearing 'a full herd' and at times exhausting.

I had a French 50s belted DB jacket in my 20's. Loved it!
I wore it one day when the men's designer for Ralph Lauren was around and he made a copy for the line :)
Ended up selling it when I realized it was 4 sizes too big.
I think brown is the key with these. Black makes it too Gestapo.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only other Aero jacket (besides my own) that I've ever seen in the wild was in Paris a couple of years ago. I was walking with my wife and wearing my LHB when I saw a Japanese guy with long hair and a beard walking towards me wearing what appeared to be an Aero Mariner, and it looked fantastic. So, as he walked past I noticed he was checking out my jacket, so I pointed to his and asked if it was an Aero. He laughed and said,"Yes, yes! Aero!" and put his fists up in the air. So I did the same and said "Aero!, Aero" while pointing at mine. Then we both gave each other the thumbs up and walked on. My wife just said, "Oh, brother." I still look at the Mariner longingly on the Aero site every now and then.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
The only other Aero jacket (besides my own) that I've ever seen in the wild was in Paris a couple of years ago. I was walking with my wife and wearing my LHB when I saw a Japanese guy with long hair and a beard walking towards me wearing what appeared to be an Aero Mariner, and it looked fantastic. So, as he walked past I noticed he was checking out my jacket, so I pointed to his and asked if it was an Aero. He laughed and said,"Yes, yes! Aero!" and put his fists up in the air. So I did the same and said "Aero!, Aero" while pointing at mine. Then we both gave each other the thumbs up and walked on. My wife just said, "Oh, brother." I still look at the Mariner longingly on the Aero site every now and then.

That's encouraging! So tell em about the Japanese guy. How big was he? I am trying to convince myself that I can wear one.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've an older Aero modded "Veste De Rallaye" that's double breasted with Football Buttons. I wear it out and about. It's heavy and nice but I had to have the sleeves shortened. I bought it second hand from a guy who had it made when the previous regime at Aero would make ANYTHING!

Worf

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
kronos77 said:
I am trying to convince myself that I can wear one.
facepalm.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
If you are not particularly tall or are a bit round (like me), a double-breasted jacket is a no-no. Wool pea coats are fine, but I have almost never seen a double-breasted leather jacket on anyone that didn't look awful unless that person was tall..

I hasten to add that this is only my opinion- I reckon that short jackets are the way to go with leather, and, if longer ones are your thing, Aero Stockman-style is what I'd recommend- the length of longer styles conspires against shorter people and exaggerates their shortness. I have seen exceptions in people who were not that tall but were built like brick outhouses, in which case the natural intimidation factor tends to override the perception of 'short' anyway.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I love, LOVE the Dr. Who jacket from the 9th Doctor. Trying to fit back into miune again. Wested, don't you know. Like the style, not a fan of the longer ones. I do like the idea of a leather Peacoat.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
this works
8o6UqOP.jpg

My first custom made jacket was pretty much the same as this one, but just above knee length.
It was made by General Leather in London. In retrospect i paid far to much for it but that was before i knew about the lounge.
I never liked it, it never looked right when worn open. Also it was brown , which doesn't work on me.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I hasten to add that this is only my opinion- I reckon that short jackets are the way to go with leather, and, if longer ones are your thing, Aero Stockman-style is what I'd recommend- the length of longer styles conspires against shorter people and exaggerates their shortness. I have seen exceptions in people who were not that tall but were built like brick outhouses, in which case the natural intimidation factor tends to override the perception of 'short' anyway.

Isn't the Schott 650 in that catagory? About the same length as the Stockman it seems.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
If you are not particularly tall or are a bit round (like me), a double-breasted jacket is a no-no. Wool pea coats are fine, but I have almost never seen a double-breasted leather jacket on anyone that didn't look awful unless that person was tall..

I agree. Every time I put on my pea coat or trench coat I think that I gotta hit that diet real hard again.

Big J

Call Me a Cab

Now I've got that scene in Falling Down in my head, where Robert Duval finds Micheal Douglas's abandoned car, and shouts up at the Korean store keeper whilst punching his fist in the air 'D FENS!'.

Although it reminds me of the time last winter when the Japanese guy at the urinal next to the one I was using at the train station Men's Room, kept looking my body over and smiling and saying 'ummm'. I was terrified. I thought this guy was cruising for fat middle-aged white guys! Then, when we were washing our hands, I noticed that he was wearing a G-1, I think RMC, and I was wearing my Aero M442a. I said to him, 'Nice jacket!', and he seemed really pleased.
I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family

I would say a double breasted jacket can look great on shorter people with certain caveats but I do see your point. A good figure with no bulging stomach, and a traditional trim and short fitting cut will work. Not in a modern blousey fit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112