Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Vests

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
What do you think about double breasted vests???

Yeah I know that it's definately not working class. But what do you think? Too over the top?

I saw that style offered in the vintage add posted on the vestmanship thread???

I'm kinda thinking a good med brown or a black w/ subtle pinstripe???

What kinda jacket would a double breasted vest go with???

Brody

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
That was a great show...

as a kid I remember watching it on Saturday afternoons... Robert Conrad always reminded me of my grandpa when he was in Black Sheep.

I wasn't actually thinking about shiney. But rather more subtle like Blacks/ grays or browns with the right pattern. This is what I'm talking about, without the piping...

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/Vests/dblvest.html

Then I figured that I would have a couple subtle collarless vests made.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I totally agree!

For a very slight fee, they are also willing to tailor to your needs. IE shorter, wider arms, etc.

I also like the fact that they go with a cotton for the back of their vests. Especially so you don't ruin your vest when dying like a dog or taking falls etc...

Brody

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I think that a double breasted vest with either matching or non matching trousers looks great, without a jacket. That's in case you're worried about the "over the top" thing, it's a way to make them look more casual I think.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Below is a nice vintage double-breasted waistcoat in dove grey, with mother-of-pearl buttons; it was meant to be worn with a morning coat and striped trousers. (Think of the groom at a day wedding.) Dove grey or chamois yellow waistcoats like these were worn in the colder months; they were made of boxcloth (similar to flannel). In the summer, cream-colored linen versions were worn.

5e_1_b.jpg

Of course, such dandies and boulevardiers as Charlie Chaplin's "Monsieur Verdoux" wore a double-breasted yellow waistcoat with a pinstripe suit (see below). So did the Belgian Hercule Poirot in the BBC series. Not recommended for the faint at heart!

1W4025y26x4tsW6pz75khT6p8oulh64ar.jpg

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I am very, very fond of double breasted vests. They beat all for me! But does a double breasted vest have to look so outlandish (like the one with the wide, wide lapels above) or cowboyish? I have seen a few in movies that look like they could fit in. By the way, would anyone know where to get a double breasted vest? I've wanted one for so long!

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I liked the store from Britain, but its far out of my price range! The others were too cowboyish. What I had in mind was more of a long cut, plain white vest (alot like the vest posted on the British website), light cloth, 4 button and no collar. Where I'd look for one outsite custom made, I cannot say. But if it is to be custom made would anyone have an idea where and if so how much? I'm only a kid, I can't really afford anything over $100 and thats about as much as I'd like to pay for something like that.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't see why it wouldn't look right. Pretty much the only requirement I really know of with a stroller is that you wear a tie and point collar instead of an ascot and wing collar.

Where's Orgetorix when you need him?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
DB vest...

used to be more common with db suits. The hotel detective in
Maltese Falcon wears one.
They showed up for a little while in the 1970's.

I was under the impression that the DB waistcoat with DB suit was a gigantic faux pas in the olden days. (i think it looks pretty good, but the style books say no. And several references from literature of the time would suggest that it was a style associated with slightly shady, untrustworthy types. One i remember from Sayers: "He was the kind of man who would wear a double breasted waistcoat and jacket". or something along those lines.)

The one DB waistcoat i own is part of a 3-piece CC41 suit. It would probably work in a strolling outfit.

Hepworths1.jpg

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
I was under the impression that the DB waistcoat with DB suit was a gigantic faux pas in the olden days. (i think it looks pretty good, but the style books say no. And several references from literature of the time would suggest that it was a style associated with slightly shady, untrustworthy types. One i remember from Sayers: "He was the kind of man who would wear a double breasted waistcoat and jacket". or something along those lines.)

The one DB waistcoat i own is part of a 3-piece CC41 suit. It would probably work in a strolling outfit.

Hepworths1.jpg

bk

I really like that suit -- the lapels on the vest are beautiful.

I personally like to look at DB vests, but I just can't bring myself to wear one. I don't quite know why, either -- maybe I was one of those gangsters in a previous life! lol

DB vest + DB jacket = a bit too much fabric wrapped around me. It'd make me feel like a burrito. I'm gonna have to yield to BK's & Orgetorix's knowledge on this one.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Of course, I can only repeat what I've heard from Manton and other authorities, but my understanding of the received wisdom is the same as BK's: DB jacket and DB vest don't go together. The only acceptable vest for a DB suit is a single-breasted one, sans lapels (which are a country detail and thus not suitable for the DB jacket's relative formality).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto