Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Scarves

Wild Root

Gone Home
You may be 99.9 % sure that it's not but, I'm 100% it is. You question my expertise on this? You see, an ascot is worn under the shirt! A scarf like we have been talking about would be way to long and bulky under a shirt.

Case and point: My ascot.
1161607img0qq.jpg

They were worn with morning coats and such but, that was before the 1930's. You're talking about Victorian ascots. The ascot has been around for a very long time.

I have tried to wear one of these scarves under as shirt before and I'll tell you, it looks funny and out of place.

You have to trust me on this.;)

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
I say potato, you say potata, let's call the whole thing off:p

On many of my vintage ties from the 30's the word "Cravat" is used. We should take into account that words some time change over 60-100 years.

=WR=

Wild Root said:
You question my expertise on this?

Not your expertise, just your knowledge of Edward Fox's wardrobe in 'The Day of the Jackal' :p

He wears a number of "neck-covering garments" in the movie. And from what i can see (yes, i got the movie from the local library - i'm that determined when i know i'm correct) the amount of fabric around the side and back of the neck precludes the "neck covering garments" from being ascots, which in my experience are very slim (1-2") in the areas that go around the neck. There's a scene where he ties a "neck-covering garment" around his neck, and it most definitely is not an ascot.

In fact, i think we were both wrong :cry: It's neither a scarf, nor an ascot. It's a neckerchief or neckerscarf. A very large (24-30" square) pocket square that can be folded in a certain way to form a rectangular scarf which is then tied around the neck. I have one, and will demonstrate pictorially tomorrow. In the meantime see Flusser's 'Dressing the Man' pp144-145

So there! ;)

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hmmmm, a large pocket square you say? This is indeed interesting.

Well, ascots did come in a variety of thickness and especially over in the UK. It's bloody cold over there most of the year and well, they need to have thicker "neck coverings" to keep the chill out.

In the photo you supplied, it really looks like what I'm wearing in the photo I supplied so, that's really odd. I have tried to wear a scarf under my shirt and well, it's too bulky and looks rather odd.

Any way, if we're both wrong, I'm ok with that.;)

=WR=

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Edward Fox rules. What a great film DAY OF THE JACKAL is. And that crazy gun...
Oh yes, rayon scarves are quite nice as well.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
What we have in the UK

Sorry, I seem to have contracted 'BT syndrome'...the urge to correct:

In the UK, we do not have ascots. The only Ascot we have is a famous (horse) racecourse.

What we do have are cravats, neckerchiefs ('chieves?), scarves and mufflers, of various kinds.

Thank you.

Alan

On the orders of the Baroness :rolleyes: i hit the Oxford English dictionary ...

OED:

(1652 in Hatzfeld) an application of the national name Cravate Croat

1. An article of dress worn around the neck, chiefly by men.

It came into vogue in France in the 17th c. in imitation of the linen scarf worn around the neck by the Croatian mercenaries ... More recently the name was given to a linen or silk handkerchief passed once or twice around the neck outside the shirt collar and bowed in front.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24