Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for ‘Gilligan’s Island’

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Dressing for ‘Gilligan’s Island’
tinalouise.jpg

001.jpg

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/dressing-for-gilligans-island/?ref=fashion

I always think of the conversation in Galaxy Quest.
SW: Surely you don't think that Giilgan's Island is (real?)
The Thermians: Oh those poor people!

Did Ginger ever do Marilyn Monroe - i can just imagine her singing "Happy Birthday Mr. President."

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I always did wonder how Ginger got all her outfits onto the boat, and why her make-up and hairspray supply never ran out lol

I'm sure the professor was able to brew up a suitable hair spray. Would have been organic too

He couldn't patch a hole in the bloody boat though!

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I always did wonder how Ginger got all her outfits onto the boat, and why her make-up and hairspray supply never ran out lol

Early in season 1, many of Ginger's outfits were apparently made of materials left over from the wrecked S.S. Minnow. As they got toward the latter half of the first season, they abandoned that pretense.

Doug

Early in season 1, many of Ginger's outfits were apparently made of materials left over from the wrecked S.S. Minnow. As they got toward the latter half of the first season, they abandoned that pretense.

Doug

Who packs all that stuff for a three hour cruise??? :p

And BTW, the Minnow's "S.S." prefix is a misnomer as it denotes a steam ship. She was a motorized cabin cruiser. Most ships today carry the prefix "M.S." or "M.V." for motor ship or vessel.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The thing with TV censorship in the sixties is that it was being administered by the same generation, and often the same individuals, who had administered it for radio in the 1930s and 40s. It wasn't until quite late in the sixties that these standards began to break down, and they weren't swept completely away until the mid-seventies, by which time a new generation had taken over.

As for where all those clothes came from, obviously the Professor built an entire system of textile mills out of bamboo and vines.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I think you may be right.

mary-ann.jpg

She reminds me of the Stacey doll:

stacey+doll.jpg

I always liked Ginger better, but that's probably because I was a little bit of a magpie as a child.

Doug

Makes sense. Once all the materials were used up, she would obviously have Emilio Pucci flown in. ;)

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
There were a lot of sexy roles for Tina Louise before and after G.I., which showed up on TV frequently. Dawn Wells had what? "Legend of Boggy Creek" and "Winterhawk."
I didn't appreciate Dawn until one of the reunion movies, where Gilligan is required to tie her to a mast in order to weather an approaching storm. (He tries his best to follow her request to just think of her "as one of the guys.")
FWIW, apparently the only time she was married was from 1964 to 1967-- approximately the same time G.I. was being made.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112