Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing quickly in an emergency...

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Tonight, after Magneto and I were finishing with dinner we heard sirens and loud noises in our apartment complex. A neighbor was pounding on all the doors and said that there was a gas leak in one of the units and that we should all get out of our units. Within a moments notice, Magneto and I were downstairs, fully dressed, hats, coats, shined wing tips and such. My neighbor looked at me and said while looking at us..."only you would be out here dressed quickly like you're going out."

After the all clear and talking with the neighbors that are here and aren't away on holiday we went upstairs. And so, it got me to thinking how fast in an emergency folks have been out in a dash and dressed and were they dressed vintage?

FG.

P.S. And yes, I was thinking...oh gawd, if it's all going to burn...SAVE THE GABERDINE! Just kidding.

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
No one ever timed me, but I had my fire duty uniform on and only missed a step on the way to the truck. Even had my shirt tail tucked in. Then 3 sec to don the bunker gear and we were out the door.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
My finacee an I are in hte process of mamking a list of what to save in case of fire, hurricaneor other diaster's. You know the usaul rare militria, kitchen wares and vintage photographs. But as for the getting dressed part, I have been told I can't get dressed in under 1 hour...

Samantha

Flitcraft

One Too Many
"And yes, I was thinking...oh gawd, if it's all going to burn...SAVE THE GABERDINE!"

Words to live by!;)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Get dressed fast? Heck, I've been known to walk down to the street and grab the newspaper in nothing but my boxers and a cup of coffee. That's when I have plenty of time too.

And I look damn good doing it. :D

Richard

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
Get dressed fast? Heck, I've been known to walk down to the street and grab the newspaper in nothing but my boxers and a cup of coffee. That's when I have plenty of time too.

And I look damn good doing it. :D

Richard

Is that your version of a Tony Soprano morning? Don't forget the flip flops and dark socks :eek: :eusa_clap

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I wouldn't really have a choice, if I was dressing quickly, it would be a skirt and heels or nothing. Any of my (very rare) workclothes are properly buried by 50's sweaters and 40's bathing suits, and the appalling boots I've owned since highschool (they're in fabulous condition, of course) are hidden downstairs until it comes to cut-down-the-Christmas-tree time. I wouldn't be able to access anything non-vintage in a pinch!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It it was right after dinner I assume you were not already in your PJs so you must have been dressed in something right? Why was what you had no not acceptable? Did you actually change clothes or just stick your feet in shoes?

You must realize how fast smoke followed by fire consumes material. If you took time to change just 30 seconds was sufficient to block your escape route had the fire and smoke meandered in your direction.:eek:

eightbore

Suspended
FedoraGent said:
And so, it got me to thinking how fast in an emergency folks have been out in a dash and dressed and were they dressed vintage?

You want real fun? Try doing this silently while standing in a closet.

:D :D :D

To Egress at great speed.

From a variety of sources I recall that having an emergency plan in place is the best and to look at evacuations as a serious matter. One suggestion is that you keep a one piece coverall or flight suit type garment handy with pockets containing important items for a rushed bug out. Slip on shoes or sneakers come to mind but there are military type utility boots that are laced up but also have a convienient zip up. Once laced properly you can zip them up and be ready to go in seconds. Yes, hardly vintage but utilitarian and covering your needs for emergency egress.

Also if you need to call the police and are in your home, say locked in a bedroom with assailants or burgalars in the house. You should have a cell phone and a set of keys attached to a light stick. At night you pop the light stick and toss the keys out the window for the police to let themselves in with while you talk to them via the cell phone.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I've never been in an emergency situation like that, but, just in case, I've always seen myself pacing about outside in the early morning dark wearing slippers, nightshirt and nightcap of matching material, and eyeglasses. Maybe a big, black moustache and a cigar, too. lol

Lee

"You didn't think they were important? You realize I had my dessert wrapped in those papers?" - Groucho

MrNewportCustom said:
I've never been in an emergency situation like that, but, just in case, I've always seen myself pacing about outside in the early morning dark wearing slippers, nightshirt and nightcap of matching material, and eyeglasses. Maybe a big, black moustache and a cigar, too. lol
Lee

ALA Captain Spaulding, the African Explorer?

From the Indees to the Andes in his Undees!

EvenOdd

New in Town
John in Covina said:
Also if you need to call the police and are in your home, say locked in a bedroom with assailants or burgalars in the house. You should have a cell phone and a set of keys attached to a light stick. At night you pop the light stick and toss the keys out the window for the police to let themselves in with while you talk to them via the cell phone.

I'm not sure what the keys for the police are for. If the assailants are in your main home area, can't the police get in the same way they did? Is this because they might lock the police out behind them when they enter? Just curious.

FedoraGent

One Too Many

Twitch said:
It it was right after dinner I assume you were not already in your PJs so you must have been dressed in something right? Why was what you had no not acceptable? Did you actually change clothes or just stick your feet in shoes?

You must realize how fast smoke followed by fire consumes material. If you took time to change just 30 seconds was sufficient to block your escape route had the fire and smoke meandered in your direction.:eek:

We were both in pajamas. :) And it was a gas leak...that thank goodness went nowhere. We all just stood around saying "so what are you doing for Christmas?"

The gas leak was in the complex, not our place thank goodness. No we had a fire a few weeks ago in the oven that we put out quickly.

FG.

Snookie

Practically Family
When the California fires were raging, my husband and I had a conversation about what we would save if we were ever in an evacuation situation. (Thank goodness we weren't anywhere near the fires, but it makes you stop and think...) Anyway, of course saving pictures and computer hard drives were on the top of the list, and getting the cat. After that we looked at each other, too embarrassed to continue, until he finally said "the Palm Beach?" I agreed wholeheartly. :)

In terms of getting dressed quickly, I think that would have been a couple weeks ago, at a Christmas performance. Quick change between numbers, 4 of us in a 3'x8' utility closet with nearly no light. Not sure if that counts, though, as we did think in advance about our quick-change strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ