Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaner's Fake Handkerchief Advertising

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Anyone seen this sort of thing? Cardboard advertising pieces with fake handkerchiefs (pocket squares) attached. These were stuck in the jacket pocket when the jacket was picked up.

I have come into several dozen! Weird!

fakehankies.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I had dozens and dozens of these things when I was a kid. I used to play hat store (really), and I had a table full of pocket stuffers. All, as you say, advertising a dry cleaners (one that my dad used and one that my mom's step-dad used). They are probably all gone now... though I have bins of undiscovered junk in storage, so who knows.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I have a handful of those myself-- mine are actually from my grandparents' dry cleaning shop that they ran back in the 40's. Every once in a while I'll use one in memory of my grandfather. I visited my grandmother two weeks ago and saw a picture of them standing in their shop, and for the first time, I noticed that their sign said that they were "Dry Cleaners and Hatters." That same day I found and old hat stretcher and block down in the basement that my grandmother said I could have if I wanted. Strangely, I have never seen a picture of my grandfather in anything other than a button-front cap.

--G.R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24