Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dubow 27798 Good Wear Leather Review

Tariacuri

New in Town
this is part II, you can see part I here

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23906

MATERIALS

The leather is vegetable tanned cowhide (Pueblo Bridal) in a mid weight. This may be slightly heavier then a WWII example but I suspect not by much, and given the way the leather looks and drapes - not an issue.

backleather.jpg

View of the grain on one arm, front, and back

The color is a light tan/russet with a reddish tinge. Wears to a light tan underneath. After shrinking the jacket I gave it a light coat of Pecard’s which darkened the leather slightly. Here in ‘dry country’ I find my jackets get thirsty after 6-8 months or so. IMO the color is very close, but probably slightly lighter, then the size 46 on Jon’s CD. Stitching with the correct weight cotton thread in a light OD.

pocksleeve.jpg

Left pocket and arm detail

The leather already came ‘highly figured’ and the additional manipulation increased this quality in spades. Take a gander at the pics – they speak volumes – I think this is a very authentic looking patina.

The lining is of a proper weight cotton twill, and again very close in color/quality to the size 46 27798 on the Chapman CD – although darker then some of the others. So . . . fits within the pretty broad range of variation found on originals.

The knits were hand dyed by Jon to closely conform to originals and are true in terms of size, color, etc. with a slightly reddish hue. Notice the nice waistband stitched detail.

cuff.jpg

Cuff detail (with a string or something on it)

waist.jpg

Waist detail, color in photo is pretty close

DETAILS

The collar is 100% Dubow, large, pointed, and nicely tailored. The label is the Good Wear Leather house variety.

collar.jpg

Collar and label detail. The zipper is a vintage talon.

Likewise the epaulets are 100%, thick, correct stitching, double sided.
ep.jpg

Ep. detail

And the pockets are amazing, flared flaps, rounded corners, right size, correct distance from the windflap and zip (slightly offset).

lpocket.jpg

Left pocket detail

rpocket.jpg

Right pocket detail

Correct hourglass stitching for the hanger loop

hanger.jpg

Hanger stitching from the back

Being a prototype the hardware is slightly off, ring instead of nipple snaps. My brother’s version has nipple snaps as will the production models I believe.

hardware.jpg

Hardware details

CONCLUSION

What can I say, I’m very pleased, best repro I’ve ever seen. Fit, quality, authenticity, all place these Good Wear jackets at the front of the pack.

Chris

fishmeok

Vendor
Tariacuri's review pretty much says it all, but here are a couple pictures of Johns' two pre-production Dubows. I'm 6' with a 44" chest and Chris is 5'11" with a 43" chest. Both jackets are 48's that have been shrunk down to around a 46.
Both jackets have almost the same measurements posted above in the review. I have been wearing mine almost continuously for over a month and it has broken in nicely. This is a very substantial jacket, weighing in at about 3.5 pounds.

Nipple snaps on my jacket- note how the zipper "dives" into the windflap at the top:

DSCN2122.jpg

Close up of the pocket stitching

DSCN2077.jpg

Comparison between the two Dubows:

front2.jpg
DSCN2314.jpg

The John Chapman CD pose with the jacket zipped up

DSCN2315.jpg

from the side;

DSCN2169.jpg

And from the back:

DSCN2104.jpg

Cheers
Mark

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Copyrights...:)

You do realise that John has the 'copyright' on THAT pose?;)

Again, what can I say? These are just beautiful jackets and I personally LOVE the grainy texture to the hide:eusa_clap

fishmeok

Vendor
PADDY said:
You do realise that John has the 'copyright' on THAT pose?;)

I realize it's a poor imitation of the official J.C. jacket display pose, but it's the best I can do....:)

Another attempt at the pose, with the jacket OPEN this time. After this one my wife refused to take any more pictures.
Cheers
Mark
DSCN2333.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy