Dust Bowl history

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by LocktownDog, Oct 13, 2008.

1. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

If you have the chance to watch Black Blizzard on the History Channel, I highly suggest you do so. Two hour program on the Dust Bowl storms of the 1930s. Lots of archival footage and recreations.

2. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

I watched this tonight. It was very informative.
    It made me realize no matter how bad things may seem now, things used to be worse and we managed to find a way through.
    I too would recommend this program to those who haven't seen it.

3. maggiethespy

maggiethespy A-List Customer

I believe I watched this program sophomore year of high school. Is there a clip of film that shows men rounding up rabbits and then clubbing them to death?

4. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

Yes and it was horrible!

5. maggiethespy

maggiethespy A-List Customer

I remember some of my female classmates started crying, but I just kept laughing. It wasn't because I thought it was funny-- it was because I was so horrified, that was the only reaction I could muster.

What really got to me was the survivors talking about siblings they lost to illness caused by the dust. There was one lady in particular that told such a sad story about her baby brother.

It really is a wonderful documentary of the times.

6. Dr Doran

Dr Doran My Mail is Forwarded Here

Interesting. Thanks, Locktown. All I know is from the TV show Carnivale and I'm eager to know more.

7. Ms. McGraw

Ms. McGraw One of the Regulars

One of the folks from that program, Timothy Egan, wrote a great book on the subject called "The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl ". I think it's well worth the read and would reccomend it to anyone who is into dust bowl history.

8. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

I never knew the storms made it all the way to NY. Between that and the Depression, people must have thought it was the End Of Days.

9. Heather

Heather Practically Family

I caught some of this the other week. It was very eye opening!

10. ************
    A few years back, China was experiencing dust storms in the central arid regions that blew dust all the way to Japan.