Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DVR alert: "Why We Fight" and Private Snafu on TCM September 1-2, 2015

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I just noticed that during tonight's overnight, Turner Classic Movies is showing the Frank Capra-produced "Why We Fight" wartime documentaries, plus several of the "Private Snafu" cartoons made for the military by the Warner Bros. animators. I figured some of our WWII scholars and/or film buffs might be interested.

The schedule (for the eastern US, anyway):

10:10 PM

Coming!! Snafu (1943)

The military's goofiest recruit screws up everything assigned to him.

Dir: Chuck Jones

BW-3 mins,

10:15 PM

Prelude to War (1943)

The rise of the fascists in Germany and Italy and Japan's growing aggression put the world on the brink of war.

Cast: Walter Huston , Capt. Anthony Veiller ,

BW-52 mins,

11:10 PM

Booby Traps (1944)

Private Snafu learns the deadly truth about wartime booby traps.

Dir: Bob Clampett

BW-5 mins,

11:15 PM

Battle of Russia, The (1943)

The Soviet Union fights to freeze out the Nazis during World War II.

Dir: Lt. Col. Anatole Litvak Cast: Capt. Anthony Veiller ,

BW-83 mins,

12:45 AM

Negro Soldier, The (1944)

Documentary cameras capture the contributions of African-American soldiers during World War II.

Dir: Capt. Stuart Heisler Cast: Pvt. Robert Brooks , Capt. Colin Kelly , Sgt. Meyer Levin .

BW-41 mins,

1:40 AM

Private Snafu vs. Malaria Mike (1944)

Private Snafu pays for ignoring regulations that prevent malaria.

Dir: Chuck Jones

BW-5 mins,

1:45 AM

Tunisian Victory (1943)

The U.S. Army's Tunisian campaign forces the Germans out of Africa.

Dir: Lt. Col. Hugh Stewart Cast: Bernard Miles , Burgess Meredith , Lt. Col. Leo Genn .

BW-76 mins,

1:45 AM

With the Marines at Tarawa (1944)

Documentary cameras capture the U.S. Marines' campaign to take Tarawa Island.

Dir: Richard Brooks

BW-19 mins,

3:30 AM

Battle of Britain, The (1943)

Great Britain stands against the Nazi war machine.

Cast: Walter Huston , John B. Hughes ,

BW-52 mins,

4:25 AM

Snafuperman (1944)

Even with super powers, Private Snafu pays for not studying his service manual.

Dir: I. Freleng

BW-5 mins,

4:30 AM

Know Your Ally: Britain (1944)

Documentary cameras capture the British character and reveal how they got involved in World War II.

Cast: Walter Huston ,

BW-42 mins,

5:15 AM

War Comes to America (1945)

International events bring the U.S. closer to entering World War II on the eve of Pearl Harbor.

Cast: Walter Huston ,

BW-66 mins,

As I recall, they are free. You just pay your cable bill for the programming.

Just speaking about Time Warner - they charge about $8 a month extra to "rent" a DVR from them versus having just the cable box. That said, I now record 90% of what we watch, so we definitely get our $8 a month of value not being beholden to the regular schedule and zooming through all the commercials. It is one of those few items that I would pay more for as we get so much value out of it.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I'm sorry that I missed those!

I typically go through TCM's, schedule days in advance, and end up setting the DVR to record quite a few films. Don't know how I missed these. Darn.

- Ian

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Just speaking about Time Warner - they charge about $8 a month extra to "rent" a DVR from them versus having just the cable box. That said, I now record 90% of what we watch, so we definitely get our $8 a month of value not being beholden to the regular schedule and zooming through all the commercials. It is one of those few items that I would pay more for as we get so much value out of it.
Yeah, me too. It's an incredible value.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I was checking my DVR last night and it turns out that I did record "War Comes To America." For some reason, I skipped over the others when I went through TCM's line-up, on that day.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I watched "Report from the Aleutians" and "The Battle of San Pietro" last night (via DVR). I enjoyed both. Loved that ...Aleutians was filmed in color.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
^ You probably have already figured this out, but TCM is doing this every Tuesday evening in September. It's been pretty darn good, too!

- Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points