EAA B-17 Experience

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Mad Hatter, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter New in Town

I had a chance to dress up for a ride in the EAA's B-17 Aluminium Overcast this summer. Very worthwhile if it ever comes to your area. I grew up watching episodes of 12 O'Clock High which gave me an enduring love for the B-17 and I suspect my love of the WW2 USAAF Pinks and Greens. Was there ever a better era for such stylish uniforms?
    17 (Medium).JPG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    TPD166 and TXFlyGuy like this.
  2. kampkatz

kampkatz Practically Family

Some years ago while at the Reading, PA WW2 Weekend, portraying an AAF chaplain, I was given the privilege to sit in the nose of a B-17. A memorable experience since I too enjoyed the 12 O'Clock High Series (mostly the first season) as a teen. Both my late father and father in-law served in the AAF, although in ground support roles. I am happy to still have my father-in-law's uniform. As an engineer he supervised runway construction.

3. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Congratulations! I am sure you now have enough memories for 10 lifetimes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy Practically Family

Who was the pilot of the -17 when you went for a flight? Kent Holiday, by chance? He is a good friend of mine. I also grew up watching the great TV series 12 O'Clock High. Robert Lansing was awesome in the leading role as Gen. Frank Savage. While I like Paul Burke, he was never quite up to the task of carrying the show the way that Lansing did.

kampkatz and TPD166 like this.
  5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter New in Town

Loraine and Ken Morris. Loraine was Commander, Ken Co-Pilot... I'd agree 12 O'Clock High and Lansing seemed to go hand in hand for me as well. I recently been rewatching the series after about fifty years of seeing it on TV. I'm impressed with how accurate it is if a little preachy. I'd like to see the Original Movie sometime as well but don't want to purchase it just to view it once.