Eastman A-2 Flight Jacket - sizing fit pics - 38 or 40?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by octopus_luke, Oct 19, 2018.

1. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

Hi guys,

I just had a mid-nineties Eastman A-2 delivered that I found on eBay. It's a size 40. I was a bit skeptical about the size, as I'm normally a 38 in almost everything else (including the Irvin flight jacket).

The jacket feels good on, with what feels like the right arm length, but it is a little boxy perhaps in the body. I will also need to get used to the leather rubbing sound around the collar as I move :)

I've attached some photos of me wearing the jacket with just a t-shirt underneath. Would love a second opinion.

Additionally, I found a size 38 of a similar age and condition too. That should be delivered tomorrow (I'll post photos of that too).

I plan to sell on whichever one is not quite the right fit for me.

thanks,
    Luke IMG_1744.JPG IMG_8301.JPG IMG_4408.JPG IMG_2548.JPG IMG_4485.JPG IMG_1744.JPG

Flightengineer likes this.
  2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Fits fine to my eye. The knits are wrecked - moths?

Remember sizing labels mean nothing. I wear a size 38, 40, 42, 44 and 46 depending on the cut of the jacket or the maker.

Flightengineer and bn1966 like this.
  3. Steve27752

Steve27752 One of the Regulars

Your ELC looks okay to me.

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

You have a bit of extra material in the body, but the sleeves are a good fit. If the 38 you have on the way is the same company, the sleeves may be too short. As Seb said above, the stated size doesn't always correlate with the size that fits you.

If you are having a squeaking sound, put some Pecard or other conditioner on the threads. The movement of the threads against the leather causes the squeak. I prefer a grease type conditioner over a lotion, such as Lexol, but I have used Lexol with good results. It just doesn't last as long.

5. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

Thanks for the feedback so far. The 38 that’s coming is indeed from ELC. I’ll post photos when I have them.

6. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

Moths - most probably. I have enquired with ELC about the replacements and will get them delivered once I determine which jacket to keep (I think the 38”s knits are in better shape).

bn1966 likes this.
  7. GregGale

GregGale One of the Regulars

Is it the House A-2? If so, that's a bit boxier than some original maker A-2s. The fit is fine, although it's not the trimmest of fits. Depends on what you prefer. Length's are also good. Looking forward to seeing the 38. I prefer a snug fit, but some people would call it downright small. We have different tastes, and wartime fit varied from extremely snug to very baggy.

bn1966 likes this.
  8. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

I probably prefer the snug too, depending on the arm holes and length. I’m 180cm by the way, if anyone else sizing up for these is curious.

9. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

9EB1B8AC-8A14-4EAE-B345-2900D60D82DB.jpeg
    B83DA0C9-BEE8-4033-98D6-9AFD67D2CE17.jpeg 721B4542-F5E3-4E86-B4EF-56B3171968C9.jpeg Here’s the 38 fit pics. Definitely more snug, and without the bagginess. What do people think?

I tried this on only with a thin shirt. I could probably chuck on a light sweater in between.

10. willyto

willyto Practically Family

Definitely keep the 38. It fits you a lot better.

11. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

Agreed, 38 fits much better.

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah A-List Customer

Stick with the 40. Trust me. ELC's leather shrinks up with some sweat and rain. I have a 40 that now fits more like a 36 on me. Tight in the shoulders and when I zip it up it is pretty snug. The 40 looks more like a wartime fit. The 38 looks more like a modern fit. Go with what feels best to you but that 38 will get smaller. Trust me. Only difference between those two is the arm length anyway. The arms will shrink up bit with the creases.

13. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

Fair point, but I should add the jacket is up to twenty years old (not sure if anyone can help date it more specifically?), so I was expecting that there shouldn’t be much more shrinkage.

Additionally, the 38 does feel better in the body. Snug, but fitted. I found that there was way too much excess in moving around in the 40, but then again, I didn’t consider how significant any shrinkage would be.

14. GregGale

GregGale One of the Regulars

I much prefer the 38! Nice fit!

15. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Another vote for the 38 from me.

16. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

Thanks guys! Looks like the snug 38 will be sticking around. I just need to lightly condition this old leather and I’ll be in business!

willyto likes this.
  17. willyto

Also I recommend you to flip the collar up put it inside the sink with warm water and shape it to your liking, it will get a better shape and look more relaxed.

18. octopus_luke

octopus_luke New in Town

Good tip! Not quite sure how i would like it otherwise, but perhaps worth playing around with it.

19. willyto

They usually look better when not using the collar snaps, the water will make the leather easy to shape and when it dries it will keep the new shape you gave it. No need to do anything extreme wet it and give it a bit of curve to your liking.

An example:
    Before
    [​IMG]

After

[​IMG]