Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman A-2 sizing?

Dferr17

New in Town
I'm sure this has been asked before and I have did a search but never found a good answer. I'm 6'0" 183lbs, 42" chest, 32" waist,, work out and in shape. According to Eastmans site, I would be a 44". To me that sounds big. All I'm looking for is a neat fitting jacket, nothing overly big or too small, just one that fits how it should. Does anyone else have a similar frame or build that could give a little advice. Oh and the jacket I'm looking at it the rough wear 27752 contract. Thanks in advance.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure this has been asked before and I have did a search but never found a good answer. I'm 6'0" 183lbs, 42" chest, 32" waist,, work out and in shape. According to Eastmans site, I would be a 44". To me that sounds big. All I'm looking for is a neat fitting jacket, nothing overly big or too small, just one that fits how it should. Does anyone else have a similar frame or build that could give a little advice. Oh and the jacket I'm looking at it the rough wear 27752 contract. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, call them, Rob is super helpful and will measure anything they have in stock for you. (US to UK is super cheap with Skype)

Or, you could get in touch with these guys:

https://www.historypreservation.com

I think the owner is on the forum and also looks like a very nice and helpful guy. They also have pretty much the whole Eastman/ ELMC in stock.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Charles, the HPA rep is a really nice guy. Do a member search, and send him a PM about sizing.

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
Does your waist measure out at 32" on a tape measure or is that your typical pant size? That is a serious drop from chest to waist if that's actual measurement.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Does your waist measure out at 32" on a tape measure or is that your typical pant size? That is a serious drop from chest to waist if that's actual measurement.

+1

I had not realised your measurements are pretty much the same as mine, although i am a bit taller at 6'2 i also have a 42" chest and a 32" waist.
Personally i cannot find an A2 model that fits me, they are jackets with very narrow shoulders and if you have wide shoulders like i do you are pretty much screwed.
If i get one that fits my 32" waist my shoulders are so tight i can't close it, if it fits my shoulders then odds are it will fit like a bag in the stomach area.

Let us know how you do, cause i would love you to find an A2 that would fit, as it would probably fit me to!

Dferr17

New in Town
+1

I had not realised your measurements are pretty much the same as mine, although i am a bit taller at 6'2 i also have a 42" chest and a 32" waist.
Personally i cannot find an A2 model that fits me, they are jackets with very narrow shoulders and if you have wide shoulders like i do you are pretty much screwed.
If i get one that fits my 32" waist my shoulders are so tight i can't close it, if it fits my shoulders then odds are it will fit like a bag in the stomach area.

Let us know how you do, cause i would love you to find an A2 that would fit, as it would probably fit me to!

Yea that's the problem I run into at times. What fits up top doesn't always fit down around my waist

Dferr17

New in Town
Thanks for all the helpful responses, I wasn't expecting it so quickly. I just wish there was a place to try one of these on. I did email eastman directly and gary recommended a 44" also. I was thinking either a 42" or 42". The jacket also seems a couple hundred cheaper through them. I have an original m-65 field jacket, size medium regular that fits great, maybe those measurements could be useful for comparison.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The HPA website has a 7 days return policy, so you could order both a 42 and 44 and return the one you don't like.
Or order one of them and exchange it if it doesn't fit....

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I visited the eastman factory and tried on all their contract A2 jackets. The 27752 was the best by far. The various contracts have different fits.
I'm same weight, waist as you but 5'11. I chose a 27752 42" extra long eventually. The long version was perfect with normal trousers but it was a few mm to short for wearing with low slung jeans. As it was mostly going to be worn with jeans I went for the extra long. I added half an inch to the arms and that was also perfect, the cuffs sit where they should.

However if you have broad shoulders and your chest is a spot on 42 exhaled then a 44" may suit better. I'm between a 40 and 42 and the 42 is spot on. An inch or two on my chest or bigger shoulders and I would opt for a 44".

Eastman run true to size in the chest in their jackets but their standard length is based on the original 40s patterns when guys wore high waisted trousers so bear this in mind if you are above average height and/or want to wear it with modern jeans.

CBI

One Too Many
Charles at HPA is supposed to be super at getting you your size based on your accurate measurements.

Dferr17

New in Town
Hi,

I visited the eastman factory and tried on all their contract A2 jackets. The 27752 was the best by far. The various contracts have different fits.
I'm same weight, waist as you but 5'11. I chose a 27752 42" extra long eventually. The long version was perfect with normal trousers but it was a few mm to short for wearing with low slung jeans. As it was mostly going to be worn with jeans I went for the extra long. I added half an inch to the arms and that was also perfect, the cuffs sit where they should.

However if you have broad shoulders and your chest is a spot on 42 exhaled then a 44" may suit better. I'm between a 40 and 42 and the 42 is spot on. An inch or two on my chest or bigger shoulders and I would opt for a 44".

Eastman run true to size in the chest in their jackets but their standard length is based on the original 40s patterns when guys wore high waisted trousers so bear this in mind if you are above average height and/or want to wear it with modern jeans.

Really good information there and so lucky to have had the chance to try them on. I never really thought of getting a long. I would always be wearing it with jeans so that is something to keep in mind. The only thing that would deter me from a long is that it would be considered a custom order and non returnable. So if it didnt fit right, im stuck. I need to take my chest measurement again

Dferr17

New in Town
Charles at HPA is supposed to be super at getting you your size based on your accurate measurements.

I will need to give him a call once he is back from vacation. I like the idea that i am able to exchange it. Anyone know why on HPA the jacket is listed at $1,221 and directly through Eastman its about $933?

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Really good information there and so lucky to have had the chance to try them on. I never really thought of getting a long. I would always be wearing it with jeans so that is something to keep in mind. The only thing that would deter me from a long is that it would be considered a custom order and non returnable. So if it didnt fit right, im stuck. I need to take my chest measurement again

As the standard A2 is returnable it's possibly worth getting one to try on but as a six footer wearing modern trousers and jeans the long is probably going to be the best fit. Getting a standard fit returnable jacket will also help you decide on whether you want 42 or 44 chest. Worst case you will be out postage rather than the cost of a whole jacket.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I am 5'10.5", 180 pounds, 42 chest and always fit and wear a 42 from Eastman although a 44 will fit if I want extra layers beneath. I would think,as you were advised, that a 44 would be best for you and possibly a Long due to your height. I do find Eastman A-2's the most accurate of all the repro makers in sizing as Aero's I can sometimes wear a 40, other times a 44 and GW I need a 46!

Amir

New in Town
Hello:

I have a lovely Rough Wear 27752 A-2 contract from Eastman.

At about 5' 8" and 165 pounds (fairly athletic build), the size 42 fits me well, especially in the shoulders and body. It's slightly long in the arms (my shirt-sleeve length is 32/33). Discerning connoisseurs would point to some tunneling on the sleeves (the knit cuffs are slightly compressed) on my flight jacket.

If compelled to gripe, unlike other top end producers, Eastman no longer makes adjustments in specifications. It no longer custom manufactures. But while they are off the rack, they are of high quality.

The seal brown War Horse hide (w/ OD green thread) is gorgeous.

Dferr17

New in Town
I am 5'10.5", 180 pounds, 42 chest and always fit and wear a 42 from Eastman although a 44 will fit if I want extra layers beneath. I would think,as you were advised, that a 44 would be best for you and possibly a Long due to your height. I do find Eastman A-2's the most accurate of all the repro makers in sizing as Aero's I can sometimes wear a 40, other times a 44 and GW I need a 46!

Any chance you would have a pic in it? Being a little taller and heavier, the 44'' might be better because of the little added length over the 42''. Just so crazy how the different manufacturers all fit so differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points