Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman A2 versus Gibson Barnes A2

TacAirlift

New in Town
I've been looking at the Eastman "Rough Wear Contract # 27752" and the Gibson Barnes Mark 31 in goatskin, and the Mark 41 in horsehide.

The RW 27752 lists for $1,180.00 The GB Mark 31 for $738.00, and the Mark 41 for $678.00. All of the aforementioned A2's appear to be accurate in detail to the original specs.

I would appreciate your input as to what if any sets the bar higher for the RW 27752 versus the GB Mark 31 and Mark 41.

Your reply to my inquiry is appreciated in advance.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wow. This'll provoke a robust discussion.

G&B are known for very well made jackets with voluminous sizing. I too am keen to learn how the "period " G&B fares. I don't think I'd spend more on any kind of jacket to be honest. Once they hit $1000 or more it takes the fun out of them for me.

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
I've owned 'em both. The G&B has a bright stainless steel zipper that screams "modern repro". The jacket is nice but looks and feels like a very new jacket and just doesn't have the hand-made look and the overall authentic aura of the Eastman. The goatskin they use is nice but much too uniform (boring?) in appearance; IMHO the Eastman may cost more but if you compare the two, it's obvious that there is a definite difference between a $700 jacket and a $1,100 jacket. The G&B is a 7 while the Eastman is a 9.8 (out of 10). Plus I never liked G&B collars; they just seem wrong somehow. Just my 2 cents[huh]

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think you'd be happier with the Eastman. It just looks the part. But you wouldn't be unhappy with the Barnes.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
All I can say is G&B is top notch. But their customer communications is lacking. That is what kept me from buying a G-1 from them.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Though I have no personal experience with either jacket - I've never even seen an Eastman jacket in the flesh (hide?)! - I find Thor's comment interesting.

I've got to two G&B jackets, a Civil A-2 and a Historical M-422A. They are handsome and well made, and have held up to many years of wear beautifully. But compared to the US Authentic A-2 I used to own and the Good Wear that replaced it, there is something kinda bland about them: They come across as assembly line products, lacking the handmade, rough-hewn feel of the jackets from the smaller artisan makers. I don't think it's just a goatskin vs. horsehide issue, it's a how/where-it's-made thing. And not a cost issue, as my budget US Authentic jacket proved. It's a factory vs. small shop thing.

Though they are a definite step up in quality, I think the G&B jackets are still closer to the Cockpit/US Wings/Schott range in feel than the premium-maker range. If that observation makes any sense...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You cannot in any way compare G&B's standard issue A-2 with their "historic" Models 31, 41, and 43 A-2's. Of the latter three, I prefer the Model 43 that doesn't have a stand collar. The Model 31 is veg tanned goatskin and very similar to Aero's veg tanned goatskin whereas G&B's standard issue A-2 is thinner chrome tanned goat, as well as polyester lining and knits. IMO the historic G&B is well worth the up charge.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm not trying to compare the Civil A-2 to any premium A-2... but I can compare the M-422A, which is also one of G&B's more expensive "Historical" models.

But frankly, it's not much "better" than the Civil A-2, despite having cost 40% more. Sure, the wool knits and mouton are great. But the goatskin isn't much different (exact same weight and flex, slightly different surface coat that's worn more slowly), the zipper's equally modern and undistinguished, and a rayon lining is a rayon lining.

Again, I love my G&B jackets. (I am wearing my Civil A-2 RIGHT NOW!) They are well made and provide good value for the price. All I said was that in my opinion, they don't have the level of character that I've seen in some jackets made by smaller operations.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All I can say is G&B is top notch. But their customer communications is lacking. That is what kept me from buying a G-1 from them.

The G&B is hardly top notch. It is far from an accurate repro. The Eastman RW 27752 replicates this iconic contract very well and is nearly as accurate as a Goodwear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
From what Doctor S says it sounds like a US Authentic is a better less extravagantly priced option than the G&B.

Last edited:

Monsoon

A-List Customer
The G&B is hardly top notch. It is far from an accurate repro. The Eastman RW 27752 replicates this iconic contract very well and is nearly as accurate as a Goodwear.

I think he's saying that the workmanship is top notch. I know the one I owned and others I've seen were always well made and solid.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

The G&B is a first class leather jacket. You will not find a better one for the price. Is it an exact copy of a WWII issue A-2? Perhaps not, but that was not my point.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
TX I think the point is that many companies can make a very well made A2. The real point of difference is in the extra details - fit, hardware, lining, pattern, hide, handcrafting and character. If it were just about scoring a well made jacket this site wouldn't be necessary.

I'm never going to want a $1200 repro but I respect the guys that do and their attention to detail is to be saluted. They contribute to this hobby's knowledge base.

CBI

One Too Many
at the risk of sounding snobby, there is hardly a comparison between the two. The Eastman is an extremely close copy of a WW2 original, GB is authentic-ish in some ways. If you are wanting an A-2 inspired jacket, a high-end MALL A-2 then GB will save you some $ but if you want something that really looks like the real deal, ELC is the way to go of the two choices you are listing. An ELC is going to fit on you the way WW2 originals did which is a very different look than a lesser option. There is also a HUGE difference in the quality and character of the hides between the two makers. You can easily purchase a used Eastman in stellar condition for the price of the new GB.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The point I was trying to make is that G&B's current issue A-2 ($398) is made with very dark brown chrome tanned goatskin, twill lining, and polyester knits. My G&B historic model 43 A-2 ($648) is made with a very nice, substantial medium weight veg tanned horsehide, cotton lining, and thick (substantial) wool knits. I used to own a current issue A-2 but sold it since it was simply too big for me. Both the current issue and historic A-2's are IMO well constructed, very durable jackets and excellent values. However, the current issue and historic A-2's are very different. Obviously the Model 43 is far closer to original WW II. I have never even seen an Eastman or a Goodwear A-2 but would likely opt for a Goodwear over an Eastman if I wanted hyper-accuracy.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
It would appear that the number of people who want or need "hyper accuracy" is very limited. Although they do exist. Perhaps that is why so many companies like G&B, US Wings, Schott, Leather Coats Etc., and Alpha make extremely nice leather A-2's and G-1's that are popular with the masses. This is simply who they cater to, as this is the largest segment of the market.

I'm in the group that just wants a nice fitting, well constructed leather jacket (A-2, G-1) of quality materials. That extra 5% of replication of the original is not important, nor would I pay the $$$ for that item.

As far as serviceable "beater class" jackets go, two China made bomber style jackets (Wilson) hang in my closet. Cost? $99. Over twenty years old, still look nearly new. Kinda surprising to me. But these will never garner any snob appeal, nor will my G&B, USWings, or Cockpit items.

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
Maybe we could group A-2's into 3 categories:
Group 1: Low-end, $99-$400 (less authentic to WWII originals and usually less expensive), such as WPG, Sporty's, LL Bean, Orvis, G&B "Civil" version A-2, US Wings, etc.
Group 2: Mid-level $400-$700, U.S. Authentic, The Cockpit, G&B "Historic" A-2's, Steve McColgan, Aerial Star, etc.
Group 3, High-end, $700+ (Aero, Eastman, Goodwear, BK, etc).
This is certainly NOT all-inclusive, just a basic (and fun?) categorization exercise. Buying a nice Group 2 jacket is fine, but if authenticity and detailing are your concerns (and money is not a factor), then a Group 3 A-2 might be a better choice.
Thus comparing a Group 2 jacket with a Group 3 jacket would result in the Group 2 jacket coming up short in comparison (again, in terms of WWII authenticity).

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Then you also have the question of current issue, or genuine WWII issue. It seems that the jackets have been updated to meet market demands in areas such as side panels, gussets, pockets, etc., even for the military (USCG).

And read here somewhere that the WWII issued jackets varied a lot, were mass produced as cheaply as possible.

Did I not read where many WWII types modified their jackets in the field to be more comfortable? And is this not the origin of many features found on these jackets today?

Kinda like...yes, that 1957 Corvette is cool, but a new one simply will blow it's doors off. Power and handling.

Last edited:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Hmmm, I think that the vast majority of car enthusiasts would pick the '57 corvette over the new Z06 or an air cooled 993 Porsche over a 998 Porsche.

I also don't think that a Goodwear jacket is in any way inferior in comfort or style to a G&B.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Hmmm, I think that the vast majority of car enthusiasts would pick the '57 corvette over the new Z06 or an air cooled 993 Porsche over a 998 Porsche.

I also don't think that a Goodwear jacket is in any way inferior in comfort or style to a G&B.

That '57 Vette is nicer to look at, but for driving, the Z06 is vastly superior in performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider