Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman b-3 fleece...furry vs nappy

trialsallday

One of the Regulars
Hi guys, got my new Eastman b-3 a few weeks ago. And I've noticed in some of the pictures of other one on the for sales or just other people jackets in general , the fleeces look more nappy and curly and less straight and furry. What makes this happen ? Just wear and tear and exposure to the elements ?

kowalski

Practically Family
I think that depends on the a species of sheep and mechanical factors.(wearing, use, snow and rain/water, wool is hygroscopic)

I've heard / read that for some time eastman sewing, doing your jacket ( including A2 ) in China with their skin sheep UNFORTUNATELY, it can also be a reason for the differences

Last edited:

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Hi guys, got my new Eastman b-3 a few weeks ago. And I've noticed in some of the pictures of other one on the for sales or just other people jackets in general , the fleeces look more nappy and curly and less straight and furry. What makes this happen ? Just wear and tear and exposure to the elements ?
Hi
give your B-3 jacket a warm water ( body temp.) bath, air dry it gently...Treat/wax it and it will have this dense curly fleece. I ( plus others) did it with my Eastman Rough wear's B-3 as well as my Irvin's...It comes out great. Some posts even here on TFL about this subject.
However, please be aware it may shrink slightly...1-2cm in all directions.
Good luck!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I think that depends on the a species of sheep and mechanical factors.(wearing, use, snow and rain/water, wool is hygroscopic)

I've heard / read that for some time eastman sewing, doing your jacket ( including A2 ) in China with their skin sheep UNFORTUNATELY, it can also be a reason for the differences
Is this verified? Original Eastman jackets stiched/sewed in China?

devilish

A-List Customer
As far as I know. Eastman makes everything (leather jacket wise) right here in Devon. I've been there several times and seen how it's all done.
As for the fleece. Just get it wet. If you don't feel brave enough to bath the whole jacket, just mist it with warm water. Scrunch it around a bit with your hands and let it air dry. Or wear it in the rain and air dry it.

John Lever

One Too Many
I very much doubt that Eastman has any production in China or anywhere else. The poodle like curly fleece used to be only seen in the earlier jackets but I have also seen the same texture in more recent examples. I think year to year the skins have a natural variation.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I agree with devilish, get it wet.
My girlfriends mutton collar was straight and furry when new, but after being rained on a few times and worn it is curling and matting.
I think its just a side effect of skin processing. They probably wash the fleece and trim it to an even length during tanning, which leaves it all stuffed toy like.
Once it get humid and you wear it it will go back to it's natural state.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
My girlfriends mutton collar was straight and furry when new, but after being rained on a few times and worn it is curling and matting.
I think its just a side effect of skin processing. They probably wash the fleece and trim it to an even length during tanning, which leaves it all stuffed toy like.
Luckily all of us know we only talk jackets...

trialsallday

One of the Regulars
Ok cool, that thurston bros aero redskin sz 40 that's always on eBay has the curliest most poodle like fleece ide ever seen !! Really like that coat btw, anyone else like it too ? The red looks way different then the Eastman red ..maybe it's just the photo and lighting

HPA Rep

Vendor

While you are correct that the sheep wool is washed and trimmed as part of the entire tanning and finishing processes, it is also electrified, which is what takes the curl out of the wool one sees if viewing the average sheep. The type and amount of electrifying will dictate how straight the wool becomes, and I'd say that what left the factory for wartime consumption was largely fairly straight and lustrous when new (this is based on observation of wartime pics and new and near-new extant examples).

kowalski

Practically Family

Attachments

• landscape-movies-shaun-the-sheep-movie-02.jpg
    landscape-movies-shaun-the-sheep-movie-02.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Honestly, just go out in the rain a couple of times, drizzle even, let the collar, cuffs etc get a little damp, leave to dry flat in a warm room. it will curl up nicely in no time, no need to put it in the shower or soak it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points