Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Luftwaffe Jacket sizes for 40/42

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Obtained these measurements from ELC via email after inquiring about the sizing of the Luftwaffe jackets in 40/42. I don't know why companies just don't post this information on their web sites. It took me over a week to get this information.

LUFTWAFFE 40 REGULAR

ARMPIT TO ARMPIT: 58.5cm

SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 48.3cm

SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO CUFF: 61cm

BACK LENGTH FROM NAPE OF NECK SEAM TO BOTTOM OF WAISTBAND: 61cm

LUFTWAFFE 42 REGULAR

ARMPIT TO ARMPIT: 62.3cm

SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 49.5cm

SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO CUFF: 62.3cm

BACK LENGTH FROM NAPE OF NECK SEAM TO BOTTOM OF WAISTBAND: 62.3cm

Info directly from ELC for interested parties.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Obtained these measurements from ELC via email after inquiring about the sizing of the Luftwaffe jackets in 40/42. I don't know why companies just don't post this information on their web sites. It took me over a week to get this information.

LUFTWAFFE 40 REGULAR

ARMPIT TO ARMPIT: 58.5cm

SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 48.3cm

SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO CUFF: 61cm

BACK LENGTH FROM NAPE OF NECK SEAM TO BOTTOM OF WAISTBAND: 61cm

LUFTWAFFE 42 REGULAR

ARMPIT TO ARMPIT: 62.3cm

SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 49.5cm

SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO CUFF: 62.3cm

BACK LENGTH FROM NAPE OF NECK SEAM TO BOTTOM OF WAISTBAND: 62.3cm

Info directly from ELC for interested parties.

This is in response to your wonderment as to why manufacturers, specifically ELC, haven't posted measures, and is not an attempt to hijack your post. The reason ELC hasn't posted measures is much the same reason why HPA hasn't, which is because measures don't tell the entire story and can actually create more harm than good. Using measures alone for determining fit by ANY manufacturer, be it J. Crew, Schott, Aero or Eastman, etc., is ill advised. Having said that, HPA has no problem promptly providing such details when asked and will be posting this info. on our new website but in a manner that endeavors to limit the potential problems that could result from relying entirely on measures.

Additional ELC info. you may need is best directed to the manufacturer or HPA at the office or on our affiliate thread here on the TFL. Thank you for your indulgence of this friendly advice.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio
History Preservation Associates

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
This is in response to your wonderment as to why manufacturers, specifically ELC, haven't posted measures, and is not an attempt to hijack your post. The reason ELC hasn't posted measures is much the same reason why HPA hasn't, which is because measures don't tell the entire story and can actually create more harm than good. Using measures alone for determining fit by ANY manufacturer, be it J. Crew, Schott, Aero or Eastman, etc., is ill advised.

While I agree that measurements are not generally sufficient in order to make a purchasing decision, they are absolutely necessary for me to make a purchasing decision. I'm not clear how fuzziness surrounding possible fit benefits the buyer. The only possible advantage I can see is that it can create 'stickiness' between potential buyer/seller by creating a line of communication via inquiry. But I would recommend that approach only for sellers who can maintain a high degree of responsiveness. So far, I have not encountered a company represented on this site that actually responds to email in a timely fashion (timeliness defined as 'within 24 hours.') This could be an aberration, but across 4 vendors in the past couple of weeks, emails have averaged 72+ hours per response, with a few going on 5+ days without a response.

Last edited:

mihai

A-List Customer
While I agree that absolute measurements do not tell the full story I think they are necessary to get an objective idea over the fit. At this price level you want a perfect fit. I've been shopping clothing/shoes online for quite some time and the only times I got mistaken were when the actual measurements were not provided or they were way off.
Speaking about the measurements, the Eastman Luftwaffe size 40 R looks kind of oversized with 23 inches arm pit distance. For comparison a G-1 size 42 R measures 21.5-22 inches between arm-pits (ok, G1 is a different pattern, but just as a rough comparison).

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
While I agree that absolute measurements do not tell the full story I think they are necessary to get an objective idea over the fit. At this price level you want a perfect fit. I've been shopping clothing/shoes online for quite some time and the only times I got mistaken were when the actual measurements were not provided or they were way off.
Speaking about the measurements, the Eastman Luftwaffe size 40 R looks kind of oversized with 23 inches arm pit distance. For comparison a G-1 size 42 R measures 21.5-22 inches between arm-pits (ok, G1 is a different pattern, but just as a rough comparison).

Underarm gussets and bi-swing back provide the movement room in the Navy jackets so the body is narrower. The ELC Luftwaffe is quite roomy in the body, I used to have a 44 R.

mihai

A-List Customer
Underarm gussets and bi-swing back provide the movement room in the Navy jackets so the body is narrower. The ELC Luftwaffe is quite roomy in the body, I used to have a 44 R.
Sure, despite the mentioned pattern difference (bi swing back mostly) there is still a bit of oversize. If you look in ww2 period Luftwaffe pictures, those jackets were worn closer to the body.
One example: on one of my visits at Noble House in Ulm I tried on the bf 109 jacket in several sizes. Well, the nicest fitting one was in size S instead of L (that I would choose for an ordinary nowadays jacket). It was just like in the pictures, not something skin-tight. I posted some pics in the WW2 subforum with the Barkhorn jacket, that is the fit.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor

There are "fit images" on our affiliate thread here on TFL of the Luft. in size 40R being worn by me, so if you haven't seen these, I invite you to take a look and then tell me if you think this is oversized. Btw, our measures place the chest width at 23.5", which is an average of 5 jackets of the same size; if stated as such, averaging is the best method due to natural fluctuations between jackets during production.

Also, regarding this style, it's a blouson cut, so it's not the same as other styles as you mention worn by the Luft. aircrews.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
There are "fit images" on our affiliate thread here on TFL of the Luft. in size 40R being worn by me, so if you haven't seen these, I invite you to take a look and then tell me if you think this is oversized. Btw, our measures place the chest width at 23.5", which is an average of 5 jackets of the same size; if stated as such, averaging is the best method due to natural fluctuations between jackets during production.

Also, regarding this style, it's a blouson cut, so it's not the same as other styles as you mention worn by the Luft. aircrews.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

I checked out the fit pics. Thanks!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
When I saw the centimeters I thought you'd be from Europe. If you're trying to be informative, I think inches would be better. Unless you use metrics all the time, they don't mean much (why do I feel like I'm in 1976?). Meanwhile, I like the Luftwaffe jackets but am put off by the Nazified label and the whole Third Reich glorification thing. It's not that blatant, but I still find it disturbing.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
While I agree that measurements are not generally sufficient in order to make a purchasing decision, they are absolutely necessary for me to make a purchasing decision. I'm not clear how fuzziness surrounding possible fit benefits the buyer. The only possible advantage I can see is that it can create 'stickiness' between potential buyer/seller by creating a line of communication via inquiry. But I would recommend that approach only for sellers who can maintain a high degree of responsiveness. So far, I have not encountered a company represented on this site that actually responds to email in a timely fashion (timeliness defined as 'within 24 hours.') This could be an aberration, but across 4 vendors in the past couple of weeks, emails have averaged 72+ hours per response, with a few going on 5+ days without a response.

I can't speak for other vendors' time lag in replying to e-mail inquiries but I don't think your e-mail was received by us, as we do respond by your definition of a timely manner 99% of the time to any inquiry type, though any vendor can have any number of legitimate reasons for taking longer, including HPA. I answer 85% of all our e-mails (the remainder go to Amy), which is a task typically performed at one time in the day when one of us is able to properly dedicate sufficient time to each inquiry.

"Fuzziness" of fit certainly doesn't benefit the buyer, but neither does playing armchair tailor based solely on measurements, which is exactly what a notable number of our customers would rely upon if given the opportunity.

This is my 24th year in this business and I've sold more jackets than any single customer will try on in their lifetime. Due to my extreme attention to detail and thoroughness in everything I do, I can say without arrogance but with great confidence that my product knowledge exceeds that of our customers, as it rightly should for any merchant worth a hoot, though I’m not immune from that which is subjective to any customer’s perception of a good fit. Those who possess an overall lack of knowledge as it relates to the variables of garment design and fit will, at times, wonder why the jacket we send doesn't fit to their liking even when the measurements we supplied were in conformance with what the customer believed would work.

If correct fitting was a science and as simple as knowing some magic numbers, every smart merchant would, I believe, list product measurements and no one would ever return anything due to incorrect fit. But that's not at all how it is in practice. And if both customer and merchant want the customer to be outfitted in the correct size with a 90% or better chance of keeping the item on the first shipment, the merchant needs to thoroughly know the products they market vis-à-vis many customer body types, sizes, shapes and builds to the highest levels attainable, while the customer needs to know and be willing to share with the merchant their optimal desires in fit, clothing type to be worn with the product most of the time, and some basic body measurements.

Garment measurements can enhance buyer information, but that’s not the same thing as buyer knowledge, and there are some customers who have no idea what garment measurements even mean; accordingly, merchants should always endeavor to educate their prospective customers as to the specifics of fit and how they relate to the customer and the item to be purchased, and customers should be aware of the limitations attendant if garment measures become the solitary means for deriving the size to order.

I'll provide measurements on any item to anyone, but I’ll also ask for some basic measures and information from the customer so I can perform optimally for the customer.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I totally agree with your philosophy as a seller/vendor. However, customers come in many shapes and sizes. Many people on this site have already purchased a dozen or more Eastman model jackets, for example, and have acquired a knowledge of fit, etc., which I'm sure they leverage when making buying considerations. A low information/experience buyer has the most to gain from a knowledgeable seller/vendor, but you don't want to frustrate high information/experience buyers unnecessarily. I agree that your experience and knowledge would benefit a person like me, who has never worn or even seen an Eastman in the flesh. But you don't want to come across as a know-it-all when dealing with people with many years experience and deep familiarity with your product already, either. It's a fine balance, and good sellers know how to keep it that way.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I have two Eastman's, a Luftwaffe and an A-1, both in the same size, both with very similar measurements. They fit totally differently... If i was buying new, I would trust a guy like Charles who has the knowledge and experience and will put you in the right jacket in the right size.

BTW I have purchased jeans from HPA and was very pleased with the transaction.. Charles picked up on the 2nd ring

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I have two Eastman's, a Luftwaffe and an A-1, both in the same size, both with very similar measurements. They fit totally differently... If i was buying new, I would trust a guy like Charles who has the knowledge and experience and will put you in the right jacket in the right size.

BTW I have purchased jeans from HPA and was very pleased with the transaction.. Charles picked up on the 2nd ring

If I were to move forward with an Eastman, I would very likely go through HPA, given their responsiveness vs ELC's. Glad to hear satisfied customers chime in.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I spoke to Charles last week regarding some Lone Wolf Engineer boots. He took his time with me and seemed like a heckuva good guy who is hell bent on customer service.

HPA Rep

Vendor

Thank you for your support of HPA and your confidence in how I run things; I'm delighted to know we could meet your needs satisfactorily and that I was instrumental in this regard.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto