Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Roadstar Crosszip

Fonzie

One Too Many
Agreed 100%. I’ve bought so many items from them over the years and they’re always personable and helpful, which is largely a reason I don’t mind supporting them with purchases I don’t need…
I reckon you have two really good options at a great price and in very good condition here in the classifieds.
Buy local, support the forum members. ;)
My 2 cents, happy holidays. :)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check out the History Preservation website, they also carry this jacket:

https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/brands/roadstar-1940s50s-motorcycle-jacket-black-warhorse-horsehide/

In addition to posting detailed measurements, Charles has prepared sizing tips for every jacket he sells and I have found them to be spot on with the jackets I have purchased through him.
I also see that he is asking $545 dollars more than S&S for this jacket (plus $49 for shipping) So I do not suggest that you make the purchase with him, but rather use him for sizing info.

I feel bad for Charles—I’m guessing he placed a big Eastman order right before the pound dropped 30%. Ouch.

But this kind of thing goes both ways. I got a BR winter parka from him that was considerably cheaper than buying it in Japan, even, because it was stock from before a yen value jump (though the yen has of course weakened again).

Powerband

Practically Family
Check out the History Preservation website, they also carry this jacket:

https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/brands/roadstar-1940s50s-motorcycle-jacket-black-warhorse-horsehide/

In addition to posting detailed measurements, Charles has prepared sizing tips for every jacket he sells and I have found them to be spot on with the jackets I have purchased through him.
I also see that he is asking $545 dollars more than S&S for this jacket (plus $49 for shipping) So I do not suggest that you make the purchase with him, but rather use him for sizing info.

Hugely helpful! Thank you!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Marc. From what I’ve read and the pictures I’ve seen, the veg-tanned Italian horsehide that Eastman uses exhibits aging characters that I prefer over the Vicenza hide. Ultimately , im still exploring but leaning heavily toward the Eastman Roadstar.
The leather elmc uses is thinner than Vicenza but it's denser and stiffer and shows much more character.

El Marro

I feel bad for Charles—I’m guessing he placed a big Eastman order right before the pound dropped 30%. Ouch.
I had the same thought myself. I’m afraid he might have to hold onto these jackets for a while until that price becomes more palatable.

Powerband

Practically Family
S&S has great customer service. They’ll measure it right up for you.

Just got off the phone with S&S NY. They had measured the jackets with me on the phone. Super guys—can tell they’re enthusiasts. In any case, I got a size that’s absolutely perfect for my intended use… 20 inch chest and 17.5 shoulders. Length also perfect at 24. This is their tag size “40.”

Lesson here seems to be that sizing varies.

Powerband

Practically Family
Unless there was a mistake in sizing, I think they mis-measured, just imo.

You mean they might have miss-measured on their website or on the phone with me? :0

EDIT: I mean, for sure, I agree that they miss-measured somewhere, but even compared to the size 40 available here, the specs are markedly different. I know that creases and wrinkles have a way of decreasing the size of a used jacket, but the difference is pretty large from the 40 that I ordered, compared to the 40 elsewhere. Not complaining——this is just all part of hunting for that elusively perfect jacket. :)

Last edited:

Aloysius

You mean they might have miss-measured on their website or on the phone with me? :0

Both. It's just hard to believe that–30+ years into making the jacket– Eastman would suddenly start speccing the jacket's chest four inches smaller.

Workwear stores don't really know how to measure leather jackets, even if they stock many of them. I've seen many major and famous ones (who I won't name) mismeasuring by two inches or more (not a small amount, when you're talking leather, especially for flat measurements.)

Powerband

Practically Family
I wasn’t implying that Eastman was at fault and agree with you that specs can be inconsistent from various stockists.

Aloysius

I wasn’t implying that Eastman was at fault and agree with you that specs can be inconsistent from various stockists.

I didn't think you were. I just meant their continued production of the jacket makes me skeptical of measurements from that don't correspond. I don't think it's malicious; I think they just usually don't know how to measure a leather jacket.

El Marro

Unless there was a mistake in sizing, I think they mis-measured, just imo.
Agreed. That is a jacket that has consistently had about 4” of chest ease. I don’t believe that Eastman all of a sudden went to Japanese style sizing where the tag number equals the P2P.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Just got off the phone with S&S NY. They had measured the jackets with me on the phone. Super guys—can tell they’re enthusiasts. In any case, I got a size that’s absolutely perfect for my intended use… 20 inch chest and 17.5 shoulders. Length also perfect at 24. This is their tag size “40.”

Lesson here seems to be that sizing varies.
Sorry to say this but I’m afraid the guy didn’t measure properly. There’s no way that the ELMC Roadster size 40 is going to have 20” P2P measurements.
That model tapers aggressively, so taking that into account, the hem would have to be around 16”, which is not going to work for that size.
I have three Eastman’s size 40 (different ELMC models though) and they all have around 21.5 to 22.5 inch chest measurements.

Powerband

Practically Family
Sorry to say this but I’m afraid the guy didn’t measure properly. There’s no way that the ELMC Roadster size 40 is going to have 20” P2P measurements.
That model tapers aggressively, so taking that into account, the hem would have to be around 16”, which is not going to work for that size.
I have three Eastman’s size 40 (different ELMC models though) and they all have around 21.5 to 22.5 inch chest measurements.

I’ve been sitting with this quiet suspicion that they were measuring panel-to-panel instead of edge-to-edge at the armpits. I’ll see when it arrives—may have to raise a fuss. I’ll report back.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I’ve been sitting with this quiet suspicion that they were measuring panel-to-panel instead of edge-to-edge at the armpits. I’ll see when it arrives—may have to raise a fuss. I’ll report back.
That may be the case. Good luck in any case and I hope it works out for you in the end.

Powerband

Practically Family
Jacket is on the way, but meanwhile one of the team members at S&S had kindly offered to hold a size 38 aside, just in case the 40 doesn’t work out. One thing for certain is that S&S has always been graceful with customer service and are more than happy to make things right. I’ll report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko