Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Easy Way To Shorten Ties?

Daniel

Familiar Face
I have a number of ties that are simply too long, and would look much better on me with a few inches snipped off.

Is there an easy way to do this? How hard is it to re-sew? Should I ask a tailor, or is there a company that does this in bulk?

Thank you!

Jerekson

One Too Many
All my ties are shortened. I trimmed them with scissors and then replicated the pointed tip of the thin end, by hemming a traingle with a sewing machine.

dnjan

One Too Many
The place I normally go for pants hemming, etc. refused to do ties. Since I am not brave enough to cut a tie myself, I simply tucked the small end inside itself until I got to the correct length. No visible bulge when I wear the tie, but it is a bit more difficult to untie, as the fatter small end doesn't pull out of the knot unless I loosen the knot more than usual.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
There seem to be some issues with altering ties. And even having ties cleaned and pressed is not always successful, even by good cleaning shops. Some cleaners won't even clean and press them.

An old method is to tuck the too long narrow end inside between the shirt buttons. But that doesn't really work all that well either. It seems the fashion now is for longer ties which should hang about one inch below the waist (beltline), or with the point at the bottom of the beltline. That was info I got at Wilkes Bashford and Brooks Brothers in San Francisco and those two are to a large extent arbitrators of fashion, especially Wilkes Bashford. In the early periods, ties were above the belt line, sometimes a good distance. I think the real reason there was vests were mostly worn and that kept the tie from showing under the bottom of the vest. I mostly wear vested suits, and new long ties are a problem. I usually just tuck the bottom of the tie inside my pants so it won't show at the vest bottom.

Bill

Bill Taylor said:
There seem to be some issues with altering ties. And even having ties cleaned and pressed is not always successful, even by good cleaning shops. Some cleaners won't even clean and press them.

This is because quality vintage pieces, nice handmade modern ties, and the very expensive silks that many well-crafted ties are made from react in a highly adverse manner to the harsh organic solvents that dry cleaning typically employs. Further, the steam pressing of an all silk tie is even more detrimental to handmade all-silk neckwear. Dry cleaning and steam pressing is a very good way, indeed, to kill the color and the body of the tie. And it's an especially effective way to destroy a prize piece in a vintage collection.

So one may ask, "how would I get the wrinkles out of my tie if I can't steam press it?" Hang it, and let the tie rest. Quality silks will reshape themselves along the spine (seam) of the tie if it is handmade. Do not iron your silk ties. Just don't, fellas. [bad]

If you seriously soil your tie, I still recommend Tie Crafters. If it's not a bad spot, try seltzer water, lightly dabbed, or talc powder lightly sprinkled for greasy stains.

If you love your tie, and you want your tie (particularly vintage prizes) to keep on living the good life -- Tie Crafters for alterations and cleaning.

** - I am not getting any kickbacks, lol!

Bill Taylor said:
I guess, afterall, something can said of tying your napkin around the neck. although I think it looks sort of dorky.

Bill

Or you can just do the tie tuck into the shirt. In the Carolinas, you learn your lesson after a few drops of BBQ (a food, not an event!), lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider