Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. hatsRme

hatsRme

How about a photo of said block, B1?? Sounds like just the ticket.

2. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

Every hat you buy on-line, brand new or 100 years old, is a gamble on fit. It's part of the game.

3. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

Now that was funny... just saw a guy on ebay selling a 1950s Stetson Stratoliner for "$299.00" and it is a size 6-5/8. That's is about the size of a newborn baby's head! LOL This guy would be lucky to get $20 for the thing.

4. theoldnorthwest

theoldnorthwest Familiar Face

There are a couple of Stratoliners listed for over $700 by two different sellers. I won't mention the sellers names but they have a distinct background in all of their photos and I just automatically pass by any hat they have listed. I don't know why they think those hats are worth that much money. Maybe someone is willing to pay that much but it seems like it would make more sense to lower the price by say $400 and actually sell some hats.

5. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

I'm afraid that some of these wild-eyed sellers have seen a few auctions go for $500 and $600 dollars but instead of taking the time to research why those particular hats went for so much they just assume every old hat is worth $600.

6. I have remnants of a heated hat stretcher, 2 vintage hat stretchers, 2 hat jacks, 1 band block. They seem to be in constant use in vintage & modern hats I own.
    The band block is almost always in a hat the night before I wear it. During summer months, it goes in hats that I take off & wipe down the sweatband.
    Vintage hats that I bought online are seldom their original size plus I buy hats 1 size lower to get a better selection of vintage lids. I'm 7 5/8 so I will go for 7 1/2 expecially Long Oval or XLO.
    Being Long Oval means even modern 7 5/8 need shaping to fit me.

7. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

I overpayed because i wanted this hat really bad.
    2014-08-14145036_zps7c16f87f.jpg 2014-08-14145005_zpsb4e3f78a.jpg

Stetson Fifteen from the 40's I think. 6 inch crown, 3 inch brim. I've been trying to get an early Whippet in this color but this is better. This one had a buy-it-now so I jumped. No buyers remorse. It's a big beautiful hat.

8. hatsRme

hatsRme

Congrats, Tommy! It IS smashing! Even without knowing the specifics, the price was right.

9. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

I know what you mean. Once in a while you just gotta have it.

I've done it, but sparingly.

Glad you are happy with the purchase.

10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

you should be hapy with that purchase, looks great!

11. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Yes very nice!

I recently won this Hückel Weilheim "Chevreau" at a bargain price. Poor auction photos but will update when it arrives. The bottom photo is the true color. Also very good condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. carranty

carranty One of the Regulars

I''m a fan of tall, wide brimmed hats too, that one looks great. I love the colour.

13. hatsRme

hatsRme

Wow! La Chevreau is wicked beau, Steve. And a bargain?!?! SOo nice...

14. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

That hat looks darn near flawless and it's a bargain! Most of my bargains are often rough and need some work.

15. tommyK

tommyK One Too Many

It's a perfect neutral medium grey. Would go with just about anything except that blue t-shirt I'm wearing. I work from home a lot so i'm in casual mode.

16. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Charlie, Thanks!

Tommy, Thanks! Probably about $45.00 including shipping from Germany. My guess is it's a 58cm.

17. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

Agreed.

18. B1ggles

B1ggles Familiar Face

Here goes, hatsRme. 'Made in France' is all it says on the underside, no brand, hard to date. But it looks as though it would do the job, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. B1ggles

B1ggles Familiar Face

Well, I was wrong about it having no branding , half hidden by a screw head on the top plate is the name Allie Maillard. Google Images brings up a few similar examples, mostly quoting 19thC and asking - and getting - from $300 to over $1,000! I'll give it a careful clean and look after it better in future!

20. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up