Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay listing problem/help please.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hello-

Since eBay cannot help, maybe you good people can.

I'm trying to list some stuff and it's been a while since I last did.
Now that I'm listing, I get stuck at the "shipping service and rates" part of the form- I don't want to use it- I want to list the shipping in my description.

Ebay's "Help" says:
"We do recommend that you complete the postage and packaging section, but it's not required to list an item. If you leave the postage section blank, your listing will tell buyers to 'Check item description' for postage and payment instructions or contact seller for details'."

But when I press "continue", of course, I get the "please fill out the required fields> shipping services/rates" and cannot continue.

So- how does one by-pass this part of the listing process?

I don't remember this "hurdle" from a couple of years ago, when I last listed items for auction.

Help please.

B
T

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I ran into this recently as well. And of course, even though I specifically told buyers to ignore the listed shipping cost and to wait for a calculated shipping quote, many of them still went ahead and paid the listed price. So annoying.

Shirin

A-List Customer
There's no way around filling out the form, go down to the shipping area (aka; Give buyers Shipping Details) in the first pull down menu box, make it read " Flat:same cost to all buyers" and the second pull down menu box, make it read " Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service"
Then fill in your total, make sure the free Shipping box does not have a check mark.
You also must add a handling time, there's no way around it, but you can still say in your item description that you do not accept returns.
If you're still having trouble let me know.

Torpedo

One Too Many
I experienced this very problem recently. The only thing I could do was to remark (by means of larger case and differently coloured text) in the description that a specific quote would be provided.

Also, now you can not list an item in a different Ebay if your country has one, because the program will not allow you to list an item with the seller in a different country. If you want your ad to be visible on other Ebay listings, you must quote international post fees. This may not be seen as much of a problem, but it prevents you from directly listing an item in an Ebay you feel will showcase your item to a better potential clientele; and this may well mean you have no access to better category differentiation and this, believe me, can be consequential.

For instance, some months ago I could list an American Civil War repro item in Ebay.com, targeting the (prospectively) better audience in the US, in a very specific category of ACW reenactment items. Now, I would be unable to do the same; Spanish Ebay.es has nothing remotely similar where I could properly list such an item, and this means less people will find the item. Same happens with vintage items. US or UK Ebays have well developed categories for these, but Spanish Ebay is blatantly poor compared to them. Yes, accurately naming the item helps, but even then, you lose those ebayers who are searching the categories, and not specific items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points