Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay trouble again.....

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hello ladies, I am need of a little moral support here, I have just had my first really bad Ebay experience and I'm feeling a little stunned. I bought several items from a seller a couple of weeks back that never arrived, and now I have asked the seller to see if they can trace the parcel and am getting some really nasty messages that I am trying to pull a trick on the seller and threats back.
I was really upset by all of this yesterday evening, and I don't know what I should really do?
Has this happened to anyone else here?
:( :(

Did you pay with Paypal? You'll need to get a report started with both eBay & Paypal. If the seller thinks you're just going to back down about getting your items they aren't going to bother providing any tracking info.......in this case, as it sounds like they're not too easy to work with. When they get notice from eBay & PP they will perhaps take it more seriously. They HAVE to provide tracking information to prove it was shipped/received to win that claim. Is this international? That can get trickier for everyone involved, customs can hold things, lose things, etc......but in the here & now, file your Item Not Received claims to get going on it. If they show you can cancel the claims, but if you wait it sounds like your seller won't be cooperative....leaving you without the money and without the items.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html

That should get you started with eBay at least. I haven't had this happen to me as a buyer but I did buy from someone who charged outrageous shipping & all emails from them requesting it be changed were absolutely unintelligible & rude to boot........I paid it to get my dress & sweater ($30 domestic!!!) and chalked it up to learning experience. But its not fun being at the sellers mercy when they treat their buyers so poorly! Infuriates me as I try to make my own customers happy & see them leaving eBay over things like that! Sorry its happened to you.........Ang

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Thanks Dorothea, it wasn't international and was just sent regular post, but the post slip he sent me a copy of was not even for the right day and doesn't have any details of destination on or anything.

I have put in a complaint about his bullying tactics, and that I found his emails intimidating. I looked at the Dispute thing too but by the time I would have paid off the admin fee I would hardly have got my money back!!!!!

What is interesting though is that I have had a good look through all of his feedback and this does appear to have happened to a few buyers with him before. I had never really had to trawl through years of feedback before but what is interesting is that there can be quite a lot of negative stuff there that doesn't appear on the rating. Lesson learned there I think!

Whilst I am prepared that the item may have been lost in the post I am not prepared to accept being called a trickster by anyone! What an unpleasant man, and I never even asked for a refund, all I asked for was my parcel...............

[huh]

KatieD

New in Town
Ebay

Complain to Ebay and Paypal as quickly as possible ie, now! If you read the big print about Paypal they say you're protected, if you read the small print then you'll notice that you're only guaranteed to get a tiny amount back and should the seller empty their paypal account you'll get nothing back (been there, and done that!) Soooo, first things first, before you go crazy at the seller and he/she withdraws all his money complain to Ebay and Paypal first so that the freeze his/her account. You can always drop the complaint if it turns out to be an innocent mistake, but from what you've written it doesn't seem that way. If it is all an innocent mistake you're not being nasty as the seller has been rude to you first!

Also I hate the way some sellers say that once it's in the post it's not their problem. Grrrrr!

On the plus side although the postal service is normally very good, very occasionally things do turn up after a couple of weeks after going on a round-a-bout route so fingers crossed it'll turn up. If it doesn't end up with you it should be sent back to the seller - it's very rare that something gets completely lost.

Katie

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Oh poor you :( We have had some odd experiences, even as sellers. Maybe this particular seller has had a string of bad buyers, or maybe they are just rubbish sellers! Have you checked their feedback score and read through any negative comments they may have?

GOK

One Too Many
I agree, file a claim - it might just be the impetus the seller needs. Good luck - I know how distressing it can be.

Earlier this year I bought a DVD from a seller over there in the States. More than six weeks later, it hadn't arrived and I'd heard nothing from him, despite numerous emails. Finally, I told him if I didn't hear back within 24 hours, I was going to file a claim. Heard nothing so claimed.

Within half an hour of contacting Ebay and Paychum, I had mail from him, claiming his house burned down and this was why he hadn't been in touch or sent my DVD. Then I got another email with a completely different story. Then another. Then another. Reminded me of that scene in the Blue Brothers when John Belushi is on his knees in front of Carrie Fisher! I replied and said that if he sent the DVD or refunded my money, all would be fine.

Then the verbal abuse began, so I forwarded every communication from him to Ebay and Paychum. Naturally, they found in my favour and refunded me but only partially as he didn't have enough funds to cover it. Still, better than nothing.

However, he then left me the only negative feedback I've ever had. I was furious! I applied to Ebay to have it retracted and they complied. Last time I looked, he was no longer registered. Oh and one of my friends had bought a copy of the same DVD (pilot episode of Brotherhood) and loaned it to me, so I got my dose of Jason Isaacs-y goodness after all! :D

It can work the other way too however; I had the buyer from hell a little while ago. He bought some hair extensions from me and within 24 hours was emailing to ask why he hadn't received them. I politely replied that it clearly stated that as these were made to order, I always asked clients to allow up to three weeks from the date of cleared payment. Usually, they received their orders inside a week. This wasn't good enough for him and he waged a hate campaign against me.

Again, I forwarded all the messages to Ebay and sent the buyer his item within seven days. I then went on holiday for a week and when I returned, I found over thirty abusive emails from him :eek:

He really was a bit of a nutter. He complained that the extensions weren't the ones in the photo (they were), and that his 13 year old daughter was really disappointed and wanted to wear them to an all night party (at 13????) and that he'd be coming to my house and breaking my legs if I didn't refund him.

I emailed him one more time to say that any further communication would be done through my solicitor and the next thing I knew, Paychum contacted me to say he'd filed a non-receipt claim! Ho hum, how tiresome. So I faxed them the proof of postage, recorded delivery receipt (I always use traceable postage methods for domestic shipping), plus sent them the threatening emails (proving that he'd received them). Paychum of course, found in my favour and I heard nothing more from him.

One of my friends sold a pair of tickets for a concert and the day after the gig, the buyer claimed non-receipt. My friend had rather stupidly given the buyer her phone number, which enabled a spate of harrassment. Eventually, said friend contacted the police. Then got a Paychum claim against her. Luckily, the tickets were numbered, so she rang the theatre to see if they had been used and of course, they had. As far as I know, she is still working through a counter claim for fraud and harrassment.

Some people eh?

Luckily, in all my time of Ebaying, I've only ever had four or five negative experiences compared to over a thousand positive ones - it's just unfortunate that there are some horrible people out there that believe the world owes them something and will resort to underhand and frankly, despicable methods, without a thought for who they might be hurting. But that happens everywhere. :mad:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Thanks girls! I feel a bit better now, I was so upset by it all last night that I couldn't eat my dinner he was so aggresive and accusatory!

I didn't pay by Paypal it was by cheque and I have kept evidence of the "payment received" notice that he posted on the listing by printing it out.

I just hope that he doesn't now leave me a whole 3 negatives as I have 100% positive at the moment. I haven't left him any feedback at all yet but I feel as if I should definitely let other ladies know!

Thanks for all of your support! I'm cheering up now........what a sad man. The picture of your gorgeous baby has made me feel better too KatieD!!

GOK

One Too Many
~landgirl~ said:
Oh poor you :( We have had some odd experiences, even as sellers. Maybe this particular seller has had a string of bad buyers, or maybe they are just rubbish sellers! Have you checked their feedback score and read through any negative comments they may have?

Just to let you know - if you want to check any Ebay member's negative and neutral feedback, use this tool:

http://www.toolhaus.org/

simply input their Ebay ID, press the button and away you go. Saves a heck of a lot of time. Be warned though, sometimes having it all there in front of you can paint a very negative picture, so you have to weigh it all up against their total feedback count. For example, 50 negatives out of 5,000 or 10,000 isn't bad but 50 negs out of 250 is pretty dreadful.

As an aside, I'd just like to say that Katie's (WKD) customer service is absolutely brilliant and when one of my parcels from her went astray, Gina her salesperson, fell over herself to help me. Fab! :D

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
GOK said:
I agree, file a claim - it might just be the impetus the seller needs. Good luck - I know how distressing it can be.

Earlier this year I bought a DVD from a seller over there in the States. More than six weeks later, it hadn't arrived and I'd heard nothing from him, despite numerous emails. Finally, I told him if I didn't hear back within 24 hours, I was going to file a claim. Heard nothing so claimed.

Within half an hour of contacting Ebay and Paychum, I had mail from him, claiming his house burned down and this was why he hadn't been in touch or sent my DVD. Then I got another email with a completely different story. Then another. Then another. Reminded me of that scene in the Blue Brothers when John Belushi is on his knees in front of Carrie Fisher! I replied and said that if he sent the DVD or refunded my money, all would be fine.

Then the verbal abuse began, so I forwarded every communication from him to Ebay and Paychum. Naturally, they found in my favour and refunded me but only partially as he didn't have enough funds to cover it. Still, better than nothing.

However, he then left me the only negative feedback I've ever had. I was furious! I applied to Ebay to have it retracted and they complied. Last time I looked, he was no longer registered. Oh and one of my friends had bought a copy of the same DVD (pilot episode of Brotherhood) and loaned it to me, so I got my dose of Jason Isaacs-y goodness after all! :D

It can work the other way too however; I had the buyer from hell a little while ago. He bought some hair extensions from me and within 24 hours was emailing to ask why he hadn't received them. I politely replied that it clearly stated that as these were made to order, I always asked clients to allow up to three weeks from the date of cleared payment. Usually, they received their orders inside a week. This wasn't good enough for him and he waged a hate campaign against me.

Again, I forwarded all the messages to Ebay and sent the buyer his item within seven days. I then went on holiday for a week and when I returned, I found over thirty abusive emails from him :eek:

He really was a bit of a nutter. He complained that the extensions weren't the ones in the photo (they were), and that his 13 year old daughter was really disappointed and wanted to wear them to an all night party (at 13????) and that he'd be coming to my house and breaking my legs if I didn't refund him.

I emailed him one more time to say that any further communication would be done through my solicitor and the next thing I knew, Paychum contacted me to say he'd filed a non-receipt claim! Ho hum, how tiresome. So I faxed them the proof of postage, recorded delivery receipt (I always use traceable postage methods for domestic shipping), plus sent them the threatening emails (proving that he'd received them). Paychum of course, found in my favour and I heard nothing more from him.

One of my friends sold a pair of tickets for a concert and the day after the gig, the buyer claimed non-receipt. My friend had rather stupidly given the buyer her phone number, which enabled a spate of harrassment. Eventually, said friend contacted the police. Then got a Paychum claim against her. Luckily, the tickets were numbered, so she rang the theatre to see if they had been used and of course, they had. As far as I know, she is still working through a counter claim for fraud and harrassment.

Some people eh?

Luckily, in all my time of Ebaying, I've only ever had four or five negative experiences compared to over a thousand positive ones - it's just unfortunate that there are some horrible people out there that believe the world owes them something and will resort to underhand and frankly, despicable methods, without a thought for who they might be hurting. But that happens everywhere. :mad:

Crikey GOK that's just terrible, I had no idea that people could be so hostile.
30 abusive emails!!! that's insane. It's happening on both sides of the transactions then with buyers and with sellers!

I'm wondering if my seller isn't a bit of a nut too, he obviously has a problem with women as he has described me as being hysterical. This is guaranteed to make me very, very upset :rage:

That feedback link is great! thanks.

Thing is, most of us normal folk just want a simple, peaceful life and when this sort of thing happens it just makes you feel really down about all the nasty, ignorant sorts out there.

I'm slightly uncomfortable that he has my address too, mind you I have his too........all this is so horrible......

I'm so glad we are all so lovely to each other here.

P

Paul

AllaboutEve said:
by cheque

Pop into your bank and see if they can try and stop it.. I no that cheque can take 5 or 7 days to clear I was surprise too here they can bounce after that so you might be able to stop them after that time also.
Paul.

It IS sad when a seller thinks because its under X dollars they cant be bothered to do the right thing. He should use delivery confirmation. He cant prove you RECEIVED it without it (even then, without a signature he can only prove it made it to your local PO). eBay charges to file a dispute? I didnt know that. Seems strange.

Sellers are now no longer allowed to have private feedback.......if you are buying, make sure to look at the FB at least a little. A lot of people leave "negative" positives that are very telling, without going so far as to risk a retaliatory negative of their own.

Good luck. Maybe they WILL turn up......? Ang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko