Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay: vintage Oxxford belted & bi-swing suit

SteveAS

Practically Family
How old do you suppose it is and how much do you think it's worth? It looks like 1960s or 70s to me, but I'm just judging by the lapels and trouser pockets, both of which could well have been popular in other eras. I know it's Oxxford, but if I'm right about the era, that Buy it Now price seems high.

SteveAS

Practically Family
It's definitely from the '30s.

Hmmm . . . I'm no expert on Oxxford labels, but the label (below) looks a lot like the current Oxxford label. I did a quick search on Guffey's, and the store's ontent&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2"]history page says, "Guffey's of Atlanta, Inc. was founded over 40 years ago." Of course, that suggests the suit can't be from the 1930s. That said, I believe Oxxford's quality now is as good as ever, so I'm not sure the suit's actual age matters much . . .

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/thegirls1/12230ox9.JPG

SteveAS

Practically Family
Sorry for the botched link to the store's history page, above. For some reason, I can't edit my own post, so here's the link again: Guffey's of Atlanta history.

And, hopefully, an embedded photo of the suit's label:

12230ox9.JPG

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Sorry, four thousand dollars for something that isn't even bespoke? Good christ; surely no-one is pig ass DUMB enough to pay that?

Many, many rich Americans (and others) pay that every year for Oxxfords. May not be bespoke, but they're some of the finest handmade suits in the world--construction quality is on par with Kiton, and may even have more handwork.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sorry, four thousand dollars for something that isn't even bespoke?
To get that exact suit style you would most likely have to use Oxxford's MTM/Bespoke program as it's doubtful that it would be available from their OTR line. The MSRP on their OTR is essentially the same as their MTM so I've always thought it odd that people would choose OTR but maybe it's the delivery time of MTM that puts them off. Also much of their OTR is sold at discount, of varying degrees.

I think that one of the best deals around is to pick up one of their suits off ebay and get a top tailor to make the necessary adjustments. Certainly not bespoke or even MTM but a hell of a lot of suit for that price.

LuckyKat

Practically Family
These 60s suits just didn't have the same quality & appeal of the similar 30s suits...don't waste your money.

If you're looking for 30s belted backs, then shoot me a PM...I have a few from size 38-40. maybe more sizes...I haven't checked in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo