Edwardian England 1900

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by The Wiser Hatter, Apr 18, 2013.

1. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

Saw the below video on big beard.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

[video=youtube_share;lQV1_B63LTM]http://youtu.be/lQV1_B63LTM[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. Gingerella72

Gingerella72 A-List Customer

This was so fun to watch! The editing to smooth things out was done brilliantly. I love these windows to the past that show regular, everyday people going about their daily lives. Thank for sharing!

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Wonderful!

5. Futwick

Futwick One of the Regulars

Strictly speaking, the Edwardian Era started in 1901. All the clothing here is still Victorian. Edwardian clothing became popular after Edward's death in 1910 because it typified that last days of the empire. British govt officials wore it. During WW2, it became very hard to get hold of such stuff due to rationing and shortages. But a black market rose up that catered to those willing to pay top dollar for this clothing. After the war, the clothing became affordable and East End youths of London began to buy it. They wore drape coats with four velvet-line pockets and velvet-trimmed cuffs and lapels. The trousers were called drainpipes. The shoes had thick crepe rubber soles. These shoes were called beetle-crushers and were popular during war as a gay man's shoe.

The youths who wore these Edwardian clothes were troublemakers generally and were called cosh boys because they carried large clubs called coshes to brawl with (shades of "A Clockwork Orange"). One reporter, though, began to call them teddy boys after King Edward who was known affectionately as King Teddy by his loyal subjects. The name stuck today these folk refer to themselves as teddy boys or teddies or just teds. Teds added B-collar shirts to their uniform, a slim jim tie, brightly colored socks and occasionally a cowboy stetson hat. Teds also wore their hair in a greased back wave called a quiff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teds melded with another group called the rockers who wore black leather and drove motorcycles. Both hung out drinking beer and listening to American rocknroll. Many teds bought leather for brawling and some bought motorcycles. Many rockers bought the teddy clothes so they could get into pubs and bars that wouldn't allow black leather inside. Some teds eventually dropped the teddy garb and wore only leather.

The Beatles, let us remember, were teds who wore black leather and greased their hair back in the early days of the band.

6. CONELRAD

CONELRAD One of the Regulars

From about 5:12 to 5:16, a man who appears to be wearing an early fedora crosses the shot.

1900FedoraShot.jpg

7. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

Nice.

8. Stormy

Stormy A-List Customer

WOW! I really enjoyed that. Thanks so much :)

9. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Absolutely fantastic!

10. Auld Edwardian

Auld Edwardian A-List Customer

Nice to see another frozen recorded moment in time.

11. Jack Patch

Jack Patch Familiar Face

Must have been an interesting time to live, 1850 up to the first world war. The automobile, electricity, steam engines, airplanes, transatlantic travel. The titanic and it's sister ships would soon be built.

Jules Vern, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein has been in print for a few decades. The spiritualist movement. Moving pictures.

Had to be a time of great hope in the fact we could accomplish anything.

Still considering the crowds in the cities, the racial problems of the time and the fact that so many people still died of diseases that were easily preventable, I'll stay in this time thanks.

12. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

This is gorgeous. I especially love how almost everyone - even the children - are wearing hats.